Sign in to follow this  
Teddy

EBCTC: Carnaval in Classic Town

Dear all,

this is my entry for the Classic Town Contest. :classic:

Carnaval is celabrated in (Classic) Town! The parade has started and everybody is all dressed up and watching the parade outside.

After much anticipating, finally the arrival of Prince Carnaval! :laugh:

Hope you like my creation.

Kind regards,

Teddy

You can buy your Carnaval kit in the Carnaval shop (yellow building),

and have a drink (beer) or snack outside in the Town restaurant or at the snack bar:

<edit: I've included the larger original photos in my brickshelf folder>

Larger photo angled view

Larger photo front view

Larger photo back view

Angled view

0001witnr2.jpg

Front view:

0002witnr2.jpg

Backside:

0003witnr2.jpg

Edited by Teddy

Who doesn't love a parade? Fantastic entry Teddy! I love the red and white building which really has a classic look about it. The use of two curved roadplates works well, it's got a great assortment of classic figs, including a blue spaceman, and I love the little round flower garden in the center.

Overall, a terrific entry! :thumbup:

Added to our entry list.

Wow, what an awesome entry! Really cool how you've based it around the parade theme! A+

What a lovely addition to the entries!

The buildings are both classic and modern looking at the same time, eg using techniques from the 7633 Construction Site such as the flowerbeds, and the primary colours of the major buildings complement each other well.

Great use of Pirates figs to add some pomp and circumstance to the parade!

I just love carnaval Teddy :classic:

It's fun to see a parade like this one in Lego form.

Teddy, this is one surprising entry, coming from a background familar with Castle Buildings. Thanks for submitting and particpating this contest. You sure demostrate your great understanding towards this contest by arranging two of such baseplates together to illustrate a lively Classic Town Parades. Oh my gosh, I love parades, and this Prince Carnival is just wonderful. It reminds me of those Christmas Parades at the end of the year.

At the pavement featuring both Classic Town buildings, are really suitable for this scene, with classic distinct color elements such as yellow, red and white combinations, and adding a little modern touch onto its windows. I believe the left building is selling assorted torsos, I meant clothings and accessories for our fellow minifigs. Come to think of it, I am sure these party lovers attending the parade could have gotten those Classic Space and Classic Pirates' costumes in this shop. While the other shop at the right looks more like a government offical building at the first look. When I viewed the back of the shop, somehow it's telling me that it's like a resturant or bar.

The snack house and bus stop are some nice little touch added to the sides of the baseplate. To give a finishing touch, the center garden is really very nice decorated. Lots of excitement and bustling activity indeed. Lastly, that chariot is really classic looking. Although this contest required a vehicle with doors, but I supposed in this scene, it doesn't really fits. Nevertheless, this entry is still accepted in this contest due to its overall classic built. Eventually, it's up to our EB Community to decide the verdict.

By the way, this lovely creation of yours has made it to Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Hi Guys,

thanks for all the cool replies! :laugh:

I have to admit I found it quite a challenge to build something "old-school".

It was really difficult not to use modern colors and techniques to maitain a classic "look".

So thumbs up to the other builders in this contest, because I found it is harder than I initially thought. :classic:

A very nice and recognizable entry!

Where is your sigfig, i bet it's the guy in the parade wagon right?

Thanks CGH. I might just use him as a sigfig. Only thing missing is a coffee machine and a coffeemug. :classic:

I added the original largere photos to my brickshelf folder.

I spend quite some time getting a descent photo. Somehow I couldn't get the lighting right and the photos kept on getting blurry.

I guess that is why photography is an art form in itself.

kind regards,

Teddy

Larger photo angled view

Larger photo front view

Larger photo back view

Wonderful entry! I really like how you designed the buildings with new elements but not losing the classic look (that bus stop is pretty nice!) and of course the idea of a carnaval is a great concept for the contest :thumbup: Good luck! :wink:

I think I'll echo what others have already said, because I agree with them. A very surprising entry with a carnival and a parade: excellent use of figures from other themes. :thumbup:

Another echo here... classic yet contemporary

Lastly, that chariot is really classic looking. Although this contest required a vehicle with doors, but I supposed in this scene, it doesn't really fits. Nevertheless, this entry is still accepted in this contest due to its overall classic built. Eventually, it's up to our EB Community to decide the verdict.

By the way, this lovely creation of yours has made it to Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Ohh thanks Whitefang. :cry_happy:

should have read the rules even better. Can't believe I didn't notice the two door requirement after painstakingly sticking to the Classic Town style. :sad:

Thanks for still accepting my entry! Hurray. This calls for a parade around my room. Come on prince carnaval, lets parade with the star wars figs on my desk. :laugh:

Kind regards,

Teddy

Ohh thanks Whitefang. :cry_happy:

should have read the rules even better. Can't believe I didn't notice the two door requirement after painstakingly sticking to the Classic Town style. :sad:

Thanks for still accepting my entry! Hurray. This calls for a parade around my room. Come on prince carnaval, lets parade with the star wars figs on my desk. :laugh:

No problem, Teddy. I couldn't want to disqualify an entry, especially when you have put in lots of efforts into it, and I did allow some exceptions for the rest of the participants too. Good luck in this contest. :classic:

With or without two doors, this one just screams Classic Town.

Teddy, knowing how wonderful your other town MOCs are, I would love to see this one included in your town layout sometime later on... The idea itself is very nice and a perfect way to show all the diversity of LEGO from the 80s (at least theme-wise, with all those minifigs :) ) while still sticking to the Classic Town theme. A beautiful entry mate!

With or without two doors, this one just screams Classic Town.

Teddy, knowing how wonderful your other town MOCs are, I would love to see this one included in your town layout sometime later on... The idea itself is very nice and a perfect way to show all the diversity of LEGO from the 80s (at least theme-wise, with all those minifigs :) ) while still sticking to the Classic Town theme. A beautiful entry mate!

Thanks for the compliment! :laugh:

Puttint my scattered town buildings togheter for a photo shoot is a good idea.

Although, the scale of my fire station and train station is quite large compared to my Classic Town entry.

Both buildings would fit inside the train station simultaniously. :tongue:

Recently I got some new software and I've edited my original high resolution photos a bit with a background and I tried to make them easier on the eye.

I think the current updated photos (first post) fit better to the 70s and 80s catalog "style" of photos.

To be sure they are accepted for the contest, I asked permission to Whitefang and TheBrickster to edit them.

Kind regards,

Teddy

That's an absolutely awesome entry, Teddy! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The idea is brilliant, the architecture of the buildings is brilliant, the interior of the buildings if brilliant and the accessory and the minifigs fit very well, too, and so it looks very realistic, too! :oh:

If you overworked the carnaval carriage a bit, added instead of the table with the seats a bed in the second floor of the yellow building and included not that many and different minifigs it could well be an official Lego set - and I really would buy it! :wink:

The most I like the interior of the carnaval store, the ancient red house (although imo it looks more like a town hall or a bank than a restaurant) and the yellow house - a great mixture of ancient and modern buidlings!

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

That's an absolutely awesome entry, Teddy! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The idea is brilliant, the architecture of the buildings is brilliant, the interior of the buildings if brilliant and the accessory and the minifigs fit very well, too, and so it looks very realistic, too! :oh:

If you overworked the carnaval carriage a bit, added instead of the table with the seats a bed in the second floor of the yellow building and included not that many and different minifigs it could well be an official Lego set - and I really would buy it! :wink:

The most I like the interior of the carnaval store, the ancient red house (although imo it looks more like a town hall or a bank than a restaurant) and the yellow house - a great mixture of ancient and modern buidlings!

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks Klaus-Dieter,

in the end I think choosing the Carnaval costume parade as a setting for my entry was a wrong choice.

Most people didn't recognise it as classic town.

I guess because carnival is not known as such all around the world.

Wiki link to carnival

Although set 1592 depicts a Carnaval scene as well.

1592-1.jpg

Kind regards,

Teddy

in the end I think choosing the Carnaval costume parade as a setting for my entry was a wrong choice.

Most people didn't recognise it as classic town.

I guess because carnival is not known as such all around the world.

With the point that carnival isn't that known all around the world you are supposably right (here in Germany it is known since we celebrate carnival, but e. g. in the US there is only Halloween).

But nevertheless I think that this was a really good choice since it is something excpetional and to be honest I must say that I really do not understand why you didn't get more votes and won one of the three prizes (I gave one vote to you :grin: ) - it only would have been right! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Very nice :thumbup::classic:

And because nobody of the other dutch said it already, "Alaaf!, Alaaf!, Alaaf!"

Some people maybe also don't recognize it, because they think of the Brasilian Carnival which is a bit different from our carnival.

I like the buildings also very much.

With the point that carnival isn't that known all around the world you are supposably right (here in Germany it is known since we celebrate carnival, but e. g. in the US there is only Halloween).

But nevertheless I think that this was a really good choice since it is something excpetional and to be honest I must say that I really do not understand why you didn't get more votes and won one of the three prizes (I gave one vote to you :grin: ) - it only would have been right! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Just to inform you, Klaus-Dieter, here in the Usited States of America, we also have the Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, Louisiana, our equivalent of the Carnival celebrations, as well as many parades for different times of the year, including the

, famous for big balloons of different cartoon characters and sponsored by Macy's Department Stores.

Just to inform you, Klaus-Dieter, here in the Usited States of America, we also have the Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, Louisiana, our equivalent of the Carnival celebrations, as well as many parades for different times of the year, including the
, famous for big balloons of different cartoon characters and sponsored by Macy's Department Stores.

Thanks for your reply,

The New Orleans carnaval comes quite close to the Carnaval celebrated in The Netherlands, Belgium and Germany.

I think the main difference is that here it is not concentrated to one city.

Rather, every village, town, and city celebrates its own carnaval.

Next to this, every village, town and city has its own council of 11 and a prince carnaval, who is elected at 11-November.

Larger towns and cities may have multiple carnaval societies, with each their own council and prince.

During Carnaval (which offically lasts 3 days, but many celebrations go on in front of these days) the mayor hands over all power to prince carnaval of the town in an official ceremony.

Also, everybody is fully dressed in an outfit during all the days of the carnaval celebration.

Most cars in the parades are humurous and politcal in nature.

Making fun of local, national, or international politicians, officials, or events.

Some carnaval celebrations have a certain theme or motto, but this may vary from town to town.

The people making a car for a parade work on it all year round and are organised in carnaval groups.

So the carnaval is celbrated by all people.

Driving through the regions celebrating carnaval during carnaval you will only find dressed up people everywhere.

And numerous parades going on in different towns and villages.

Sometimes the spectators are more elaborately dressed than people taking part in the parades.

There is a long tradition of designing your own elaborate costume. Although most people buy one in a shop nowadays.

In short, it really is a peoples party celebrated by everyone.

Hopes this kind of explains the Carnaval tradition we have over here. :classic:

Kind regards,

Teddy