Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

Creative Train Combos

traintech1.jpg

combo1.jpg

Over the past few weeks, I've been admiring a few of the signature images that Lego Train fans share with their train collection or favorite trains. They look like this:

trains1.jpg

Some of you have shared a number of creative combinations that I would never think of building (e.g. BNSF with a few tanker cars).

It got me thinking, what other nice train combinations have you created?

What rolling stock goes well with the Hobby Train Crocodile?

How do you mix and match the My Own Train collection?

Are there other train cars that go well with a Super Chief?

Share your creative train combos.

In my LEGO room Caboose 10014 and Classic Train 3225 form a unit:

trainlayout7.jpg

The Holiday Train locomotive is assisted by a 10205 locomotive. Waggon 10015 has also been added:

trainlayoutb3.jpg

And I've already put Hopper Waggon 10017 on the end of 4512. These are only some examples. I don't care so much if this or that freight waggon is attached to this or that freight locomotive. The passenger cars, however, are always pulled by the same locomotives. At least so far. :wink: But I've considered letting BNSF 10133 pull all my Santa Fe cars but haven't put it into practice.

Edited by legotrainfan

And I've already put Hopper Waggon 10017 on the end of 4512. These are only some examples.

Thanks for sharing. Definately creative combinations.

I really like combining wagons based on color. As an example, I will add the green passenger wagons to the cargo train engine from 4512, and sometimes the fuel tanker (although it's more of a passenger train). The combination of the open freight car (10013) goes well with the hopper (10017).

I've also added the little red tipper wagon from Cargo Train 4512 to the Classic Train (3225) because of the smaller size.

For those of you with a few of the My Own Train cars, how do you like to arrange your wagons?

EDIT: on an unrelated note LTF, nice pictures. I like the thought of a Lego room with a large train layout (like you have created).

I would like to see some nice pictures of some different carriages behind the Emerald Night 10194.

It would be interesting to see what other train cars might go well with such a fantastic model. Santa Fe wagons perhaps? If I break out any of my different rolling stock, I'll share a few images. I'm also trying to figure out what would go well with the Hobby Train Crocodile.

Also, do any of you mix passenger and freight cars?

I normally don't. Classic Train 3225 has a passenger car among freight cars, as you know. I also use the My Own Train cars together (green passenger car plus all the freight cars of that series). I got the Metroliner 10001 quite late. I didn't get the original Metroliner for Christmas since I always preferred more cheaper sets to one big and expensive set. However, I saved money for the original Club Car 4547. It was pulled by the diesel engine of set 4563 with the red waggon with the sliding doors put after the Club Car. The diesel engine of 4563 was the only locomotive I had at that time.

I usually never run freight cars mixed with passenger cars. On the other hand I don't give much consideration to if the engine is a freight locomotive or a passenger locomotive pulling the train. If it looks good, and does the job, it stays in front.

Which is exactly how I use Emerald Night. First just to test its pulling power, it very quickly developed to become the only locomotive I use to pull my three metre long freight train around my layout. Simply because a pair of one-motor 9V locomotives struggle to get any decent pace, usually taking up to three laps on the layout before it settles down on a rhytm, while the Night has absolutely no problems pulling the train.

3521977582_c90aa68e93.jpg

3521167023_2e10ac3bde.jpg

In fact, just for fun I attached a full Santa-Fe train set to the back of the train just to see if it could pull it - it could, before train cars where pulled off the tracks in corners and the (old) magnetic couplers gave up. :oh:

Holy m$g*b#!c&s! That is powerful. I have to have the new PF elements! Even if it will cost me an odd 400$ <.< >.>*

*including actual train, tracks and shipping

Edited by brickfreak99

I was one of the few with the train signature, now I´ve removed it for the last days until our event. Right in time for this topic. :wink:

You could have seen what I combined the last years.

No.

Normally I tend to have seperate rolling stock: One for freight trains and one for passenger trains.

I used to have shown a bigger layout in june last year.

The freight section with 3 locomotives (4512 / 10205 / and a hobby train loco) and 4 different types of freight cars (4512 / one 10016, 3x 10017 and a self build car from hobby train).

Some photos are here:

pict0053.jpg

Two engine sheds with the trains and cars.

feuerwehr3.jpg

The older 10205 in blue (I have seperate green bricks as well - and recently changed the color back to green)with the tanker.

The passenger trains.

pict0063.jpg

One self built loco (one of the 30 models from hobby train) with two passenger cars MOCs.

stadt6.jpg

The original Santa Fe with self built dome car and B-unit.

I will never add any other cars to this beautiful train. :wub:

Same counts for the Emerald Night (right now).

I didn´t have the BNSF at that time. I don´t know what to combine with that loco, but I expect it to pull freight as well.

This year there will be another layout (bigger, better), including a new 12V circle I recently got with the 7745 high speed train and one or two monorail engines. :grin:

Two engine sheds with the trains and cars.

Q: What's better than one Train Engine Shed?

A: Two Train Engine Sheds

Nice! :wub:

The older 10205 in blue (I have seperate green bricks as well - and recently changed the color back to green)with the tanker.

Green would look nice with the tanker. I think I have a green MOT engine but not sure if it's the small or larger. I'm going to have to check.

The original Santa Fe with self built dome car and B-unit.

Very nice dome car. I'd love to see a close-up image of that. I only picked up one of each of the Sante Fe cars which I regret.

Same counts for the Emerald Night (right now).

I really think we're going to see Lego offer a few additional cars for this beautiful train - perhaps a dining car.

I didn´t have the BNSF at that time. I don´t know what to combine with that loco, but I expect it to pull freight as well.

I've seen it with a few of the MOT fuel tankers and they look really good. The intermodal container cars would probably look very nice.

Thanks for sharing those great shots of your layout Holodoc. I always enjoy seeing how others set up their layouts.

I'm thinking of combining my BNSF train with a few MOC waggons - I was thinking of a couple of grain hoppers or a car/digger transport with some cargo carriages as well... I've bought a 10013 Open Freight Waggon along with the GP-38 engine, so I think I'll turn it into some other kind of rolling stock (replacing blue with yellow/orange/green as basic colours, of course)

As far as the Super Chief is concerned, I'm not sure if anything other than its standard cars would look good coupled with that train... Sorta like the Emerald Night - I can't imagine it pulling logs or petrol waggons, for example :)

I love to see how many available possibilities there are.

Even though I am not a trainfan myself, I always stop when I see LEGO trains driving.

I saw some magnificient trains in Günzburg during the EB event, they looked amazin!

Where on this confounded internet can you make images like this?

trains1.jpg

I'm sure I found the website once, long ago but I'd like to show my train collection now. Could anybody spare me a link?

Thanks,

Laurie

Thank you very much my Otter friends, I'm gonna get to work on this right away.

Laurie

Edit: Aha! My train combos should be in my sig now. I tend to mix my small freight and pull it with the engine from 4563. My large freight goes with the engine from 7898. Hopefully I'll be getting the Metroliner fairly soon and my club car can be freed from the middle of the Santa Fe train. I also have some custom wagons that fit in in various places, mainly in my large freight train. I only got my 12v 7735 this week so i'm not sure how it'll integrate.

I'd like to expand my trains with a motor for my My Own Train steam loco, a metroliner and some of the double stack cars. I'd also like to fit a motor to my recovery train.

Thanks

Edited by SeaKing61