WhiteFang

10196: Grand Carousel/Merry Go Round discussion

This set looks reasonably good, but it's expensive and I think they have cut too many corners with it considering its price (non-brick roof, uncovered motor, somewhat generic minifigs and horses, etc.). I might get it if they offer it on a discount at some point.

Since the horses go up and down as well as around, there must be some pretty clever mechanism present here, as doing this type of design and not making the mechanism too bulky, or too flimsy, is not a trivial job. Every iteration of this mechanism that I tried to make in the past was too bulky. I am very curious about how they did it, but probably not curious enough to buy this set.

I don't think the set actually does this, but it would be fairly easy to make the horses go up and down. You can mount each one on a bar connected to pair of cam wheels, like a steam train piston. The wheels would rotate as the whole thing spins (since they would slide along the ground) and move the horse up and down with them.

Edited by CP5670

I agree with people who don't like it.

First there is a strong scale issue: the carousel is too big compared with the minifigs who can't climb on the horses, and there are too many spaces between the horses. Then there are the problems you said: motor and battery that are not hidden at all, basic minifigs, etc.

I think a good set does not necessarily requires a lot of bright colours, golden parts and stickers; a good set is not necessarily bigger than others; a good set is not necessarily animated with sound.

This set is too "bling-bling" for me, too big, and over detailed.

What a great set. Very nice parts, and I just love the look of it. However, it's too expensive for me.

Those tan beards look also very interesting, I was just waiting for these to come. They will come in handy for my Hogwarts project!

Update from our Ambassador:

#10196 Grand Carousel

Ages 16+. 3,263 pieces

Available July 1st 2009

It’s a wonderful day for a ride on the merry-go-round! This elegant and beautifully detailed LEGO model isn’t just for show – it really spins and plays music while the horses and swing boats move up and down! Built with intricate, lifelike ornaments and features, the Grand Carousel is a spectacular addition to any LEGO display or carousel collection. Includes 9 minifigures and LEGO Power Functions motor and sound brick. Measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Features and Benefits

- Experience the romance of this merry-go-round decorated with brightly colored elements!

- Features 9 minifigures including ride operator!

- The platform rotates clockwise/counter clockwise and the music plays!

- The swing boats and galloping jumper horses move up and down!

- Lots of realistic details including reflective decals on the center pole, ornate ornamentation, fleur de lys, bejeweled horses and profiles of jesters!

- The tent-like top is made of canvas!

- The Grand Carousel measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Pricing

United States $ 249.99

United Kingdom £ 166.35

Central Europe € 229.99

Canada $ 349.99

gallery_148_22_330915.jpg

CopMike

I think it'd be a great set to display in a child's bedroom. My only dislike of the set are the horses' heads which seem too skinny and it looks like stickers for eyes. I can imagine some creative MOCers doing some great things with this set, like having little star wars ships instead of horses.

Nice idea, hewman :classic:

I wonder what the volume of the sound-chip is to cover the noise of the motor? I always find PF stuff kind of loud when in operation.

Did anyone attend the event and *hear* it in action?

The second-to-right minfigure looks creepy IMO. A kid with an angry face and a ponytail? :look:

This merry-go-round would never pass the health and safety act.

The floorboards dont meet. I can imagine the kids legs becoming even shorter after falling in there and getting cought in the machinery.

The exposed battery unit is... well, I cant even describe it, its that hiddious...

And the minifigs....

There is lots more I dont like about this set.

It looks like an unfinished MOC.

If it were my MOC I would be proud, but I can't imagine this being released as a official LEGO set.

Nope, not impressed. :sadnew:

Nice idea, but poor execution.

I don't think the set actually does this, but it would be fairly easy to make the horses go up and down. You can mount each one on a bar connected to pair of cam wheels, like a steam train piston. The wheels would rotate as the whole thing spins (since they would slide along the ground) and move the horse up and down with them.

I like that. Stupid me I tried to use a shaft from the centre to transmit the rotation to the sides. Still, I wonder how reliable it would be. NO doubt there are infinitely more clever Technic builders than me who can figure out a way do this in a couple of brick heights, but I doubt it's easy.

I agree about the comment re: the Power Functions motor noise. It's been 2 years with those new motors for me, and I still don't like them. I end up using my old 9V motors 90% of the time.

This set is just big when you see it for real. The back of the box show the "inside" of the set, including the mechanisms to make stuff move up and down. I haven't seen it move, but have the suspision that it looks really cool and realistic. The bricks included are shown on the edge of the box, like on Taj Mahal and Creator sets.

That said, this is not a set for me, but it surely is impressive.

Front

I really think the carousel looks fantastic, and I'm seen tons of great parts in there. I'm especially impressed that they go the horses to go up and down. (Has that been confirmed?) Anyways, this unfortunately isn't the sort of set for which I could pay $250. I'll set aside $175 for it in case it ever goes on sale, though. At that price it would make a super-fantastic parts pack.

Pricing

United States $ 249.99

United Kingdom £ 166.35

Central Europe € 229.99

Canada $ 349.99

Yikes!

There's just nothing that screams "must have" about this set. It's got a decent variety of bricks but the set itself is rather bland. After tax this set will be around $400 (CDN) which is far too rich for my blood. There's just nothing here that really stands out for me. It's a nice set, but so are the majority of sets that we're forced to leave on the shelf.

Pass.

There's just nothing here that really stands out for me. It's a nice set, but so are the majority of sets that we're forced to leave on the shelf.

There lots of nice sets here/coming out indeed- I can get three or four of them for the price of this. :laugh:

That's one unhappy little girl, her parents probably didn't let her get an ice cream cone. :grin:

-Striker

I wonder what the volume of the sound-chip is to cover the noise of the motor? I always find PF stuff kind of loud when in operation.

From the picture, I think this set uses a PF medium motor, which makes a high pitched whine but is not too bad. It's not as quiet as the either of the gray 9V motors, but it's also considerably more powerful.

The really noisy one is the black 9V RC motor. That produces a real racket if you run it off a wall powered source, like a speed regulator or control center, but it's also the most powerful Lego motor out there.

Edited by CP5670

Nice idea, hewman :classic:

Thank you. I actually suggested it just hoping someone with more talent and pieces than I have decides to make a star wars carousel so I can look at it and drool.

What about a sound chip that plays the Star Wars theme?

Edited by hewman

UPDATE:

UK 169,99 GBP

Europe 249,99 EUR

Source: Jan Beyer - LEGO Direct @ 1000steine.de- Forum

:sceptic:

Has anyone get the instructions already?

UPDATE:

UK 169,99 GBP

Europe 249,99 EUR

Bugger, I hope this won't be a trend...

Dr. Brick

I will not buy this set, because it is too expensive for me, and some things could be better, but it is not a bad set.

@Hewman: That would be cool. And a little photoshoot where you could be on a picture with "Chewbacca" and "Yoda".

:yoda: : "Refuse, I must use the carousel!" "Dizzy, I would get!" :tongue::grin::wink:

I hope they now put tan beards in other sets too, and maybe gonna sell the 48x48 green baseplate apart.

UPDATE:

UK 169,99 GBP

Europe 249,99 EUR

Ah, so probably €275 for Ireland then I guess (and poor Finland Lego people get similar "special" pricing I believe)

In any case, this is probably just too large for me to splash out on, especially when competing for my limited money with the modular city series. The array of parts is quite dazzling though - and that's quite a few minifigs (albeit a bit plain - Robo Attack from Agents 2.0 is better for minifigs despite having less).

250 EUR. For a carousel. I mean, come ooooooooooon...

Fair enough, we've never seen LEGO do anything like this before, so in that sense it's pretty unique. From what these pictures are showing, this one's obviously a stand-alone set which can never be combined and look good next to a regular town building or even the likes of the Green Grocer etc. And yes, it does include PF & everything, but 250 EUR is simply too much. I understand the price tags on sets such as the Death Star or the Millenium Falcon. But if TLC had opted to cut down on this one a bit and offer it at a better price they would have done themselves a favour. I can't imagine it ever going on sale for 150-170 EUR either, so I guess this is one of the sets I'll never own.

The good thing is, I personally wouldn't pick this one over the Green Grocer, Cafe Corner OR a mint second-hand Monorail anyway... :tongue:

I do want this...

But...

There are a lot of other really nice sets I want, and this cost as much as any 2 or more of them. The Venator, the Medeivel Market, the Endor Bunker, the Home One, the Temple of Doom all have priority over this for me...

Maybe if/when this goes on sale...?

From the picture, I think this set uses a PF medium motor, which makes a high pitched whine but is not too bad. It's not as quiet as the either of the gray 9V motors, but it's also considerably more powerful.

The really noisy one is the black 9V RC motor. That produces a real racket if you run it off a wall powered source, like a speed regulator or control center, but it's also the most powerful Lego motor out there.

Thinking of motor power, is there any will to speed up the rotation of the carousel? :devil:

This was done with the ferris wheel, with total collapse at significant change of speed! :classic:

Mark

UPDATE:

UK 169,99 GBP

Europe 249,99 EUR

That 2 should be a 1 right? :cry_sad: , please, let it be an error, TLG is getting crazier every time, no wonder they nearly went bankrupt, how do they expect to sell a decent amount with these crazy prizes? (mostly in Europe, Canada and Australia as far as I know).

It is a good set, well designed, great detail, but (again) the price totally ruins it. I won't get excited over a new set ever again, because they will ruin it with poor pricing.

"Do not want."

Sarcasm aside, I won't be buying this. It has too many "weird" methods of doing things for my liking. Cloth roof? Brick built horses? And let's not forget the hugely obvious motor - an unfortunate by-product of the new Power Functions line.

Not impressed at all. Roll on the new modular building!