WhiteFang

10196: Grand Carousel/Merry Go Round discussion

Am I the only one who doesn't think very much of this ugly design? I find it grossly over-scaled and the building patchy at best...

M.

I also find it pretty much overscaled. Nothing that I'd put in the centre of my LEGO town. For me it's too expensive anyway. But you have to admit there are some interesting parts in interesting colours in it. In any case, it is certainly a wonderful and brilliant collector's item.

It might not be exactly in minifig scale (although carousels come in various sizes in real life as well), but to call this set ugly is a total understatement. You must be blind or something, because the shape and the curves and the color scheme - and mirrors, for cripes' sakes, mirrors - are all extremely pleasing to my eye.

You know what, I dare you to build a better carousel. Let's see if you can. :tongue:

If the horses indeed go up and down, then this is a pretty good design. I tried to build a carousel a couple of years ago, with the horses going up and down, and ran into all sorts of practical problems. Gave up after a while.

Hmm. It is a pretty nice set, but I don't get the "must-have" feeling that I usually get with other some exclusives. Nice solution to make it spin though, altough I don't see why it couldn't have been done internally (too expensive, maybe?).

They should have used regular Lego horses with different designed saddles like from the castle series and have brick attachment on it so u could attach it to the cieling

i dont like this set, its too big and too many things are going on (too complicated to look at)

nice detail though

Edited by prateek

wow, this set looks amazing ... Must have item for me, because, its unique, and eye catching

come on guys, ... I never hesitate with the quality of 10xxx series...

perhaps, we can find video demo of merry go round mechanism... :thumbup: :thumbup:

I think it spins because of the spinning tyre "driving" on the side of the carousel, which, consequently causes the carousel to spin.

I think it spins because of the spinning tyre "driving" on the side of the carousel, which, consequently causes the carousel to spin.

That would not explain how the horses move up and down though.

They might not, it might just look like they are supposed to go up and down in the pictures. But still, I hope they do.

Edited by brickfreak99

Not bad looking, but I think this is going to be way too expensive for me to buy. I also think the drive system could have been done differently. Surely the motor and battery box could have been hidden inside the carousel? I don't see a Savage steam engine on board either, which would have increased the appeal for me.

Now then Lego, how about that sound brick with a steam loco soundset? Sound is the thing missing from 10194...

#10196 Grand Carousel

Ages 16+. 3,263 pieces

Available July 1st 2009

It’s a wonderful day for a ride on the merry-go-round! This elegant and beautifully detailed LEGO model isn’t just for show – it really spins and plays music while the horses and swing boats move up and down! Built with intricate, lifelike ornaments and features, the Grand Carousel is a spectacular addition to any LEGO display or carousel collection. Includes 9 minifigures and LEGO Power Functions motor and sound brick. Measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Features and Benefits

- Experience the romance of this merry-go-round decorated with brightly colored elements!

- Features 9 minifigures including ride operator!

- The platform rotates clockwise/counter clockwise and the music plays!

- The swing boats and galloping jumper horses move up and down!

- Lots of realistic details including reflective decals on the center pole, ornate ornamentation, fleur de lys, bejeweled horses and profiles of jesters!

- The tent-like top is made of canvas!

- The Grand Carousel measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Pricing

United States $ 249.99

United Kingdom £ 166.35

Central Europe € 229.99

Canada $ 349.99

229 euros really isn't to bad for 3263 pieces. The Eiffel Tower is 249 euros. It only includes 200 more pieces and it doesn't include Power Functions.

I can't wait for this set. Having the horses go up and down and a music brick just makes me more impatient.

And I have even got place for it in my town! :sweet:

Dr. Brick

This set has two faces really: on the one hand there is the beautifully designed merry go round part, with mirrors, the jester hats, beards and colors.

On the other hand there is the driving part, with a flimsy platform built over the top of that ugly batterybox, a sticking out motor and some gears. There probably is not enough space inside of the apparatus to build in the motor and batterybox, but as it is now it looks like the motor has been thrown in at the very end of the design process.

But surely a fantastic set, way out of my price range unfortunately.

wow...so many jester heads...why is jester so rare these days...only in calendar...

Anyway, this set is awesome :alien:

It might not be exactly in minifig scale (although carousels come in various sizes in real life as well), but to call this set ugly is a total understatement. You must be blind or something, because the shape and the curves and the color scheme - and mirrors, for cripes' sakes, mirrors - are all extremely pleasing to my eye.

You know what, I dare you to build a better carousel. Let's see if you can. :tongue:

You can dare all you like, but it'll not get a nicer design, more an ugly design about the same as this...

We all have different views on beauty, let's agree to disagree.

M.

A few things especially bother me about this set:

1) The minifigs are completely boring. This is a set obviously aimed at AFOLs, who are notoriously difficult to please when it comes to figs and often prize them above all else. So why not go the extra mile and make them attractive to adult fans by using new parts and prints? Even the retro Classic Space torso found in the Agents Robo attack set is available via PAB, so it can't be that much of a stretch. If it can be done with other large Exclusives like the cute selection in 10185 Green Grocer, why not here?

2) Why go to the trouble of making such an intricate and detailed set, designed to be eye-catching and aesthetically detailed, but not go the extra mile and take some trouble to disguise the hideous looking Power Functions? Vestas 4999 managed this cleverly by building them under a mountain - I would have liked anything except these faux steps with a few fence pieces on top. It really detracts from the overall look of the set. Indeed, the whole thing looks odd, slightly off-centred on the baseplate as it is.

I normally love the 10xxx Exclusives, but I am finding it hard to like this. It feels like it needed another pass through the design review before being released. It's like a magnificent MOC which I would see and admire the ingenuity of on Brickshelf but have no desire to replicate myself! :grin:

At the same price as the 10195 LAAT set, that one feels like better value to me, even at half the piece count. At least it looks aesthetically consistent and finished. I know that many prize the piece count/ price ration above all, but it isn't the be-all and end-all of a great set. The piece count of 10196 may be high, but that doesn't necessarily make the set good value. I guess it depends on how you feel about the pieces used. I have enough inverse dark red slopes and the thought of enough jester heads to fill a mass grave at a clown convention isn't appealing :laugh:

Well I doubt I'll be able to get this set, but I can dream can't I!

Also, are those TAN beards on top?

Hi

first of all, this is a beautiful set.

PROs:

+ nice design of the merry go round

+ color selection

+ brick-built horses

+ up-and-down mechanism

CONs:

+ the motor (and its design) on the outside

+ canvas as top, could have done better with bricks like TLC prooved with the Taj Mahal

BUT I think that motor on the outside has also practical issues. The speed on a spinning circle is much lower on the outside than on the inside. Now imagine how fast the motor turns. As you see the motor already has a gear ratio (from a little 8-teeth gear to a huge 40-teeth gear). Now imagine the gearbox needed to drive the carrousel from the inside!

I claim it would not fit inside the carrousel in combination with the mechanism for up-and-down.

2nd BUT: TLC could have built the motor and battery box in a a little building next to the carrousel, like in the inside of the ticket office

For someone who wants to buy this set, it's a trivial matter to build something to hide the motor in an adjacent building.

Since the horses go up and down as well as around, there must be some pretty clever mechanism present here, as doing this type of design and not making the mechanism too bulky, or too flimsy, is not a trivial job. Every iteration of this mechanism that I tried to make in the past was too bulky. I am very curious about how they did it, but probably not curious enough to buy this set.

I do find the roof of the carousel ugly - but bricks would have made the thing extremely heavy and even more expensive.

Although it is a beautiful set, I too believe that Minifig Horses could have been used and would have been a little more excited about the set rather than using bricks for horses.

This MOC does just that, the horses go up and down, and the motor is contained within the build. With a bit of tweaking it could be made to be as grand as the 10196... and cost 1/3 less.

cp_merry_go_round.jpg_thumb.jpg

#10196 Grand Carousel

Ages 16+. 3,263 pieces

Available July 1st 2009

It’s a wonderful day for a ride on the merry-go-round! This elegant and beautifully detailed LEGO model isn’t just for show – it really spins and plays music while the horses and swing boats move up and down! Built with intricate, lifelike ornaments and features, the Grand Carousel is a spectacular addition to any LEGO display or carousel collection. Includes 9 minifigures and LEGO Power Functions motor and sound brick. Measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Features and Benefits

- Experience the romance of this merry-go-round decorated with brightly colored elements!

- Features 9 minifigures including ride operator!

- The platform rotates clockwise/counter clockwise and the music plays!

- The swing boats and galloping jumper horses move up and down!

- Lots of realistic details including reflective decals on the center pole, ornate ornamentation, fleur de lys, bejeweled horses and profiles of jesters!

- The tent-like top is made of canvas!

- The Grand Carousel measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Pricing

United States $ 249.99

United Kingdom £ 166.35

Central Europe € 229.99

Canada $ 349.99

Thanks Legomilk for this piece of useful information!.

First post is updated!

Thank you very much for the pics and the information, Alywin, legomilk and Thomas! :sweet:

Against the most of you I must say that I'm very disappointed about this set! :cry_sad:

When I heard of a merry-go-round set I thought about a fairground set in design similar to the awesome 10184 Town Plan with a merry-go-round, a candy stand, a shooting gallery, some nice minifigs and perhaps even one vehicle.

But what do we get instead?!

A totally overpriced, oversized and overdetaield self-built looking carrousell with absolutely ordinary minifigs, no accessory and a useless sound chip! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

You can't add it to your City layout since it is much too big and there are no additional fairground sets together with which you could build up a lovely fairground. :angry:

It's a big Creator set for those which have got a lot of money and which want to add something on top of an empty frame or cupboard.

Some fairground sets in the City theme would be absoletly :wub: :wub: :wub: - but this set is really nothing I want and so will not buy, too!

The idea for this set was a :thumbup: - the outcoming is regrettably a :thumbdown: !

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

seems like this set splits the AFOLs into two groups...