WhiteFang

10196: Grand Carousel/Merry Go Round discussion

Dear everyone,

cbb2009_10196.jpg

First of all, I will like to thanks Alywin from Hong Kong for discovering this 10196 Carousel and some others that has been spotted in Japan retail catalog. The source is from HKLUG forum and Japan Clickbrick. This discussion topic will be focusing on the upcoming possible exclusive 10196 Carousel aka Merry Go Round set.

Based on its descriptions from the catalog, it include with motor and sound parts. Alywin assumed that it can be rotated and is likely to play music from this new part, “Sound Brick”. At this moment, we have info that this set is likely to be released in July, but no additional information was given on “where”? It might be another Shop@Home exclusive. Another few pieces of useful information are the new, 48 x 48 green baseplate, tan looking beards, jesters’ headpiece, chrome mirrors and etc.

From Alywin’s understanding, the retail price could be around JPY 37,990 and converted to around USD 380.

Share your thoughts about this set in this discussion.

WhiteFang

Update (10th May 2009)

Dear all,

Eurobricks member, tnickolaus has highlighted the event, which took place in Germany where this set was presented to us "LIVE", at the AFOL Event, "1. Obernauer Fanausstellung" in Germany. Below are the images which are captured in the event. Enjoy and thanks, to tnickolaus for sharing this piece of news with us. :wink:

gallery_2351_21_41552.jpg

gallery_2351_21_24155.jpg

WhiteFang

Update (10th May 2009)

Dear all,

Eurobricks member, legomilk has shared with us more useful information related to this set.

#10196 Grand Carousel

Ages 16+. 3,263 pieces

Available July 1st 2009

It’s a wonderful day for a ride on the merry-go-round! This elegant and beautifully detailed LEGO model isn’t just for show – it really spins and plays music while the horses and swing boats move up and down! Built with intricate, lifelike ornaments and features, the Grand Carousel is a spectacular addition to any LEGO display or carousel collection. Includes 9 minifigures and LEGO Power Functions motor and sound brick. Measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Features and Benefits

- Experience the romance of this merry-go-round decorated with brightly colored elements!

- Features 9 minifigures including ride operator!

- The platform rotates clockwise/counter clockwise and the music plays!

- The swing boats and galloping jumper horses move up and down!

- Lots of realistic details including reflective decals on the center pole, ornate ornamentation, fleur de lys, bejeweled horses and profiles of jesters!

- The tent-like top is made of canvas!

- The Grand Carousel measures over 12” (30 cm) x 12” (30 cm) x over 12” (30 cm).

Pricing

United States $ 249.99

United Kingdom £ 166.35

Central Europe € 229.99

Canada $ 349.99

WhiteFang

Update 2 Official pic

Update from our Ambassador:

gallery_148_22_330915.jpg

CopMike

Update (24th May 2009)

Dear all,

In case you didn't know what the 10196 Grand Carousel is capable of, Eurobricks member, Matn has shared a video with us today which was taken in Brick Mania event in Wetteren, Belguim, organised by BeLUG.

gallery_2351_21_130623.jpg

(Click onto the image to direct you to the video.)

WhiteFang

Update (27th June 2009)

Dear all,

10196 Grand Carousel is now officially available in Shop@Home for purchase in the United States, for USD$249.99. Below are some more new images from Shop@Home. Thanks to Tinn-Man for informing us with this.

gallery_2351_21_42377.jpg

gallery_2351_21_19722.jpg

gallery_2351_21_6034.jpg

gallery_2351_21_9675.jpg

WhiteFang

Edited by WhiteFang
News update!

Thanks for providing these images, WhiteFang :thumbup:

I wonder if confirmed pricing will be available at the event at which Lego was going to official launch the set?

Thanks Whitefang.

Firstly, let me briefly explain the legitimate source of 10196 news. The initial source of 10196 is from Clickbrick Book 2009 in Japan. Clickbrick Book is the annual book distributed by the Japanese LEGO chain store ClickBrick to customers for free. The 2009 version has started being distributed since 1 May 2009, and that's why LEGO fans in Hong Kong knew the news about 10196 (earlier than the western peers). Below is the look of the Clickbrick Book:

cbb2009_01.jpg

From my side, the understanding up to now is very limited and merely based on the Japanese description. With my limited Japanese ability, the catalogue does mention that it contains motor and sound bricks (so does the English description on it... :tongue: ), and also mentions in Japanese that it "practically rotates and play music" with a "!?" following such statement :hmpf: So it is the best guess we could make so far.

Other noteworthy features:

- 48 x 48 green baseplate (new?)

- Includes 9 minifigs, 4 of whom are children

- Seems to include some mirror parts!

- Contains a lot of decorative parts including clown heads!? golden dishes, tan beards, etc.

- The horses are not those "real" horses used in Castle and City themes, but are built by bricks

It is speculated that its price would be around that of 10189.

Enjoy! :classic:

Edited by Alywin

Thanks for providing these images, WhiteFang :thumbup:

I wonder if confirmed pricing will be available at the event at which Lego was going to official launch the set?

I will love to know which event will that be. Seriously, I fear this will be another Shop@Home LEGO exclusive set, but this set is way too large to integrate in any of my City Collection. Perhaps, if TLG had a new theme in mind such as the "FunFair" theme, I think that will be so great! :wub:

Of course, that must be in minifig scale. :tongue:

Thanks Whitefang.

From my side, the understanding up to now is very limited and merely based on the Japanese description. With my limited Japanese ability, the catalogue does mention that it contains motor and sound bricks (so does the English description on it... :tongue: ), and also mentions in Japanese that it "practically rotates and play music: with a "?!" :hmpf: So it is the best guess we could make so far.

Other noteworthy features:

- 48 x 48 green baseplate (new?)

- Include 9 minifigs, 3 of whom are children

- Contains a lot of decorative parts including clown heads!? golden dishes, tan beards, etc.

- The horses are not those "real" horses used in Castle and City, but are built by bricks

It is speculated that its price would be around that of 10189.

Enjoy! :classic:

Thanks for highlighting more of its features. There are quite a fair bit of useful elements in it. Can't wait to view more close up images for this set. I did wish they could have used the regular horses instead of brick built. Maybe, they are trying to depict the mechanical looking, which could be the reason for using bricks.

You did well, by translating most of the info down there. I got a feeling it will be related to those PF related kind of stuff though, otherwise it could be a new platform for the engines to move about. The idea of the sound brick is just plain wonderful, and we could always used it for those musical box in LEGO style. I must admit that this idea is a refreshing one, but defintely way too costly.

Thanks Whitefang.

Firstly, let me briefly explain the legitimate source of 10196 news. The initial source of 10196 is from Clickbrick Book 2009 in Japan. Clickbrick Book is the annual book distributed by the Japanese LEGO chain store ClickBrick to customers for free. The 2009 version has started being distributed since 1 May 2009, and that's why LEGO fans in Hong Kong knew the news about 10196 (earlier than the western peers). Below is the look of the Clickbrick Book:

Thanks for your explaination and insight. I need to visit HK one day, perhaps end of this year, to take a look at the shops over there. Sometimes, I did visit Minifigs.net to check out some of the cool stuff down there, but my ability to converse with you guys in chinese characters is a little hard. I need to install those software though. :tongue:

I really wonder why these news didn't make it to Singapore, it's so near to your region. :wink:

I really wonder why these news didn't make it to Singapore, it's so near to your region. :wink:

LEGO is very well developed in terms of sales and MOC in Japan and there are a lot of professional players there, and Japan is worth watching out on and off. You could probably get the feel just from the ClickBrick Book, which is made in professional manner.

Also culturally I think Hong Kong is more influenced by Japan. That could be the reason. :tongue:

Edited by Alywin

Ok this looks like a good but possibly expensive parts pack. It is way too big to actually fit into most lego city set ups.

If the price is ok when we get to see the uk price i may get it for novelty value and to use for the parts but it's not that great.

Now, i don't wish to reignite the whole debate about the pics being posted early from the other topic but i am slightly confused now.

What was the point of taking them down to avoid spoiling it for TLG's big reveal only to put them back up again before the actual reveal - or have i somehow missed the reveal ?

LEGO is very well developed in terms of sales and MOC in Japan and there are a lot of professional players there, and Japan is worth watching out on and off. You could probably get the feel just from the ClickBrick Book, which is made in professional manner. Also culturally I think Hong Kong is more influenced by Japan. That could be the reason. :tongue:

Thanks for highlighting to my attention. :sweet:

Now, i don't wish to reignite the whole debate about the pics being posted early from the other topic but i am slightly confused now.

What was the point of taking them down to avoid spoiling it for TLG's big reveal only to put them back up again before the actual reveal - or have i somehow missed the reveal ?

It's Saturday in Europe, and we were asked to wait till Saturday, GMT.

That's the last off-topic thing I want to read about this, honestly, I'm getting tired of this.

This is possibly one of the best sets that TLC has ever released. With all of the new and rare parts I will probably buy it but for almost $400 I may wait until it's discounted. Where are the tan beards that everyone was talking about? Also there seems to be 4 children instead of the previously mentioned 3.

Edited by Tom Bricks

This is a magnificent treasure from TLC with an accuracy degree I think we've hardly seen :cry_happy: It's a shame its so expensive :cry_sad:

This is a magnificent treasure from TLC with an accuracy degree I think we've hardly seen :cry_happy: It's a shame its so expensive :cry_sad:

^Yes, yet another expensive set. I doubt I will be getting this one...

Woooweee! Now there's something "to starve yourself for," (What am I, a sellout?)

I love the sue of Joker hats, gold plates, and tan beards. Is the roof of the carousel made of that fabric-paper stuff? And the fact that it spins and plays music! If someone were to make a giant park MOC, then this would be their dream come true. The Rebel Blockade Runner+ ATOT and Dropship of City!

This is possibly one of the best sets that TLC has ever released. With all of the new and rare parts I will probably buy it but for almost $400 I may wait until it's discounted. Where are the tan beards that everyone was talking about? Also there seems to be 4 children instead of the previously mentioned 3.

The tan beards are those tan/ yellow feather-like parts at the corners at the kind of round roof.

I guess the 4th child you are talking about is the one with light bluish grey legs. After magnifying the picture to have a look, I agree.

Thanks for the info and pics, WhiteFang and Alywin. The set looks nice, and those mirror, "sound", and jester hat pieces sound useful. However, I don't really see this as a spectacular set at all. In fact, it looks a little thrown together, like those small Creator sets. And for it's sky-high price, I definitely won't be getting this. I look forward to a review though, it would be interesting to see this set in action.

It's a great set and most impressive, but I think I'd want to see one in the bricks before I commented to much. The price is a little high for me sadly.

Hi,

the set can be seen live at the AFOL event "1. Obernauer Fanausstellung" in Germany.

Check out the first pictures here: 1000steine

Cheers,

Thomas

Hi,

the set can be seen live at the AFOL event "1. Obernauer Fanausstellung" in Germany.

Cheers,

Thomas

Hey Thomas,

Thanks you so much for sharing this link! :thumbup:

I had resized some of these images and deeplink it here. At the same time, the first post has been updated too! Great coverage down there. :wub:

gallery_2351_21_41552.jpg

gallery_2351_21_24155.jpg

WhiteFang

Hi,

Cheers,

Thomas

Thanks for the news.

From the box cover, clearly it indicates that it can play music.

Also, judging from the structure, it seems the "horses" might actually go up and down duirng rotation! :blush:

Oh, actually, the right corner of the box cover clearly indicates that the horses can go up and down during rotation!

Edited by Alywin

Thanks fo rthe news.

From the box cover, clearly it indicates that it can play music.

Also, judging from the structure, it seems the "horses" can go up and down duirng rotation! :blush:

Yes, I just noted that too!! I can't wait to find out more about this set too. I supposed this is going to be like the real Merry Go Round. :tongue:

It's supported by PF indeed. Looks like TLG is integrating lots of PF components together, similar to the Emerald Night Train concept.

I'll definitely be getting this one. I'm guessing the price will be around $350 here in the states, which with my employee discount would put it at about $265, new. I think that's a great buy. This looks fantastic, and I hope someone gets a chance to throw up a YouTube video of it in action!

Though I'm a well-known clown-hater ( :laugh: ), I guess the Joker will get a new toy in my Gotham. ) :classic:

Good day, ladies and gentlemen! ) :sweet:

Edited by The Penguin

Am I the only one who doesn't think very much of this ugly design? I find it grossly over-scaled and the building patchy at best...

M.

Is the ceiling made of fabric or something? Also, are those chrome parts stickers or real chrome pieces? They look like stickers to me...

Am I the only one who doesn't think very much of this ugly design? I find it grossly over-scaled and the building patchy at best...

M.

Erm, aren't merrry go rounds always over-scaled and full of extra non-usefull things? I think it is an excellent representation.

In July I will be visiting Legoland Denmark, if it's there, I'll bring it home I think...

M.

It might not be exactly in minifig scale (although carousels come in various sizes in real life as well), but to call this set ugly is a total understatement. You must be blind or something, because the shape and the curves and the color scheme - and mirrors, for cripes' sakes, mirrors - are all extremely pleasing to my eye.

You know what, I dare you to build a better carousel. Let's see if you can. :tongue: