59 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

Hello to all Eurobricks members and avid Pirates' Fans,

After opening one set after another, I have started to show greater appreciation towards these new Pirates sets. Perhaps, I was deprived from owning Classic Pirates’ sets and was only able to admire those beautiful sets from the toy catalog. Mind you, those days in the 80s and 90s, Internet and LEGO online community was not strong or even exist yet, and these catalogs served a very reference tools for us. Let me walk you through this another Pirate review of mine, to sail forth to an unknown forbidden island where maps are no longer trusty.

Name: Loot Island

Theme: LEGO System / Pirates

Year: 2009

Pieces: 142

Minifigs: 3

Price: USD$19.99, GBP 14.65, SGD$45.90

Resources: Brickset, Peeron

An image of a 6241, Loot Island

1.jpg

A rear image of a 6241, Loot Island

2.jpg

Here we are. We have finally arrived in this mysterious lurking island that is far beyond the reach of the Imperial Royal Navy. Simply because, these Imperial Soldiers don’t see anything solid from their spyglass, doesn’t mean there is nothing there. How peculiar it is. Well, some things are better to be seen for yourself instead of viewing it afar.

Holding the taunting Pirate Skull flag waving at the top of the structure, apparently we have discovered a Pirate outpost, which seemed to be the sinister “Loot Island”. More dynamic actions with interesting scenarios could be used for this set.

Instruction Manual, Baseplate, Boat and Contents polybags

3.jpg

This is a section of the 6241 instruction manual which depicts the built of the treasure trove hideout. There are two sealed polybags containing various parts, a navy blue rowboat and a raised desert island baseplate covered with tan.

Useful parts and accessories

5.jpg

This is one very useful set in terms of parts’ and accessories’ usage. There is this dark green crocodile acting as the nasty eating machine lurking around the coastlines. I also noted at this stage, and realised that almost every Pirate sets include animals or reptiles added that provide a wider variety. The new pearl gold treasure chest is used to store the treasure. Unlike traditional brown treasure chest, I find the new ones not really very appealing to me. It doesn’t really match well when they are stacked together with the older chests.

The skull is a nice addition to illustrate the taunting message from afar. It looks to me like that tribal kind of sculpture. Greenery is quite adequate but could have been better if they are more foliage and palm tree leaves. White oars are being used instead of those brown looking ones. There are fairly quite abit of new elements being re-used and re-produced in different colors which is good, but I am sure most of us will find the older ones to be much better. It could be in terms of personal preference.

You will get the usual loot of accessories such as a cannon, two blue epaulettes, three cutlasses, a brown flintlock pistol, two new flame pieces, an Indiana Jones printed treasure map, a spyglass, a fish, a pot that will be used for mini catapult, four different gems, a set of classic looking minted gold coins and lastly, two printed flags for both sides.

Classic Pirate Elements

6.jpg

This is a close up image of the printed flags and the gold coins. We had not seen TLG producing gold coins for a long time. I miss these special currency gold coins that were used for transactions and trade in the past, where denominations of its currency are used in form of 10, 20, 30 and 40. The new flags have very slight differences with its earlier predecessors. At least, I am glad that these representations of allegiance are not done with stickers.

Spare parts

15.jpg

There is nothing special, with the remaining spare parts. Let’s continue with the rest of the review.

The characters

8.jpg

9.jpg

These are the 3 minifigs which are featured in this set, and the highlight could be the gray bearded cast away pirate or does seem to be a pirate before. He appear to be worn and haggard, and apparently he looked as if he had stayed on this island for decades until these 2 younglings came by to drop him a visit. These younglings are your typical pirate crew and imperial soldier. I do like this pirate torso with red and white strips on its blue jacket. As for the rest of it, they are mostly recycled parts.

Another thing which I don’t really like, is the use of the creepy bearded looking face quoted by svelte_corps in one of his City reviews. I don’t like this face as it look rather comical to be even recruited by the Imperial Soldiers. Imagine looking at this weirdo across twenty similar figures, I am sure you will get goosebumps too. These minifigs have printed torsos at the back.

Building the Imperial Navy "Gunboat"

10.jpg

Using tan and brown parts to create the base for the placement of the cannon is a good color combination and by using the 4 x 4 black rotating discs to allow the cannon to have a 360 degree angle. Realistically, I don’t think the soldier is able to shoot at certain angles where he doesn’t have a foothold in his boat.

Different angles of the Imperial Navy "Gunboat"

11.jpg

12.jpg

New baseplate for the Island

7.jpg

It has been quite awhile since TLG ever created a new baseplate for LEGO builders to utilise. In fact, it reminds me of those recent larger versions which make use of similar concept such as the 7627 Temple of Akator raised baseplate. One of the reasons which I come to believe for its costly price tag against its parts ratio, it comes to my attention that it could be this very baseplate which increase the overall cost production for this set. Normally, we don’t see baseplates with low piece count together that seemed to be a medium sized set, especially when you judge the size of its box.

Let’s look at it from another point of view. Although the baseplate appeared to be suffering from space limitations, but I think there could be some MOC possibilities to build on with its 8 x 8 brick plate such as a small outpost, a single island spot for castaways to live on and etc. I did wish the surrounding flat ground could be just studs, instead of a smooth surface, that kind of tough to do anything useful though. Is there anyone with bright ideas to share?

Center Island portion

16.jpg

14.jpg

The center portion of this baseplate is the only section which required much building to be done on a small scale. The sinister looking skull design was perhaps built by local natives whom used to inhabitant on this island, but for some reasons, they vanished. Could it be linked with the skull statue with taunting yellow bright glow? Taking a careful look, you could notice there is a wooden barricade sealed in front of its entrance.

A closer walk towards the entrance could reveal that there is a pearl gold treasure chest hidden behind those barricades. At the same time, the back of the entrance has thick green foliages blocking its path too. Perhaps, it’s the gloomy haggard old pirate that lived for more than a decade tried to hide it away from potential treasure hunters. Looks to me, the treasure map held by that old bearded pirate could reveal some clues to this trove.

The only defense mechanism in the Island

18.jpg

The short docking point has a defensive mechanism in place which is the traditional looking catapult that allows 360 degree rotation from all angles to allow a small 1 x 1 round ammunition to hit onto any trespassers. One thing attracts me about this docking point, is the simple building technique which was used to demonstrate the rickety wooden platform by making it uneven. Look on your right, and you will see what is for lunch later, and don’t ask me why the fish was inverted.

Island's surroundings

19.jpg

The 2 x 2 tan plates with a single pin at the center were placed at 6 different locations within the island baseplate that served to be some form of additional attempt of simple landscaping such as the small palm tree and surrounding stones.

Different sections taken out

20.jpg

Complete set

17.jpg

An Imperial Soldier's misfortune, especially when he is alone

22.jpg

Captured? Who can rescue him?

23.jpg

Special appearence in the making of "Indiana Jones and the Abandoned Skull Island"

24.jpg

To conclude this review, I am fairly disappointed with its retail price especially when parts are less than 200. There were a bit of mixed feelings about this set such as the very first time to use such island baseplate which has good enhancement concept but lacks building surface for future modifications or additions.

To me, getting this set is essential if you are bending to complete the entire collection, getting a spare cannon boat, which I think is very cool looking, some good accessories and parts, that sad looking elderly pirate and lastly, the baseplate if you manage to find any use for it. Let me know what you think about this set, so we could share our experience and evaluate further and potential together.

Summary review

Playability: 7.5/10 (Able to integrate this island as part of your small pirate scene with some minor playing capability.)

Design: 7.5/10 (Very effective usage of the surroundings but there are very limited space as well.)

Price: 5.5/10 (Very costly vs cost per part ratio. Could be the reason of the unique island baseplate.)

Overall: 6.8/10 (A set to have to complete your Pirate collection and getting the baseplate for other possible island related mocs.)

I gave it a "3" based on my Review Score Card. :pir-wink: What about yours?

Hope everyone of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Critics are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Brickshelf (When moderated)

This was my second ever Pirate set, and I think it is superb just for the castaway character. I think you get a lot of usefull pieces, and no stickers!

I never had the original Pirates, and I always wanted them, but I am so happy the year I return to Lego there are excellent Lego pirates about. At the moment they are really my favourate theme. I think they are so creative, real characters!

I was not overly impressed by the build really, but am impressed with what I can build myself with the Pirate line.

To me this was worth the money, just for the pieces so 9 out of 10!

I did wish the surrounding flat ground could be just studs, instead of a smooth surface, that kind of tough to do anything useful though. Is there anyone with bright ideas to share?

You can use the 'plates with a technic pin underneath', to secure plates to the base. I wish it was studded as well, and I am not really that impressed with it. But the rest of the set is really good... I would like more foliage aswell, but you can't have everything in this life!

Edited by mikey

Well if instead of a baseplate, they used regular pieces, like Soldier's Fort, then this set would be worth it. But how much can you really do with this set? Some mini-figs are nice, as well as the rowboat and cannon, but the value is greatly diminished by the baseplate.

I remember we had an MOC on here a little while ago, where a pirate makes a sand castle on this baseplate. Everyone was so excited about that MOC because someone actually found a use for this baseplate. That is pretty sad, don't you think?

LEGO is supposed to unlock the imagination, and this baseplate "locks up" too much of the plastic available in this set.

Here, watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgwHOwZwB9E...ec-HM-fresh+div

P.S. I didn't make this, I HATE Pirates of the Caribbean.

Another magnificient review from the big boss of the Reviewers Academy Whitefang!

I am sorry I have so few time to make fresh reviews myself now with my eBay threads, CP and the Pirates forums.

At least I try to jump by as a teacher once or twice a week!

This was the last 2009 Pirate set I got, as I didn't feel that much of an urge to get it. From the pictures, it didn't look as appealing as the Soldiers' Fort or the great Brickbeard's Bounty. But I finally got one and I must say - the real thing is even more disappointing.

The baseplate actually isn't my major complaint - of course it's one big piece and has limited usage, but I can hadle that. But I don't like the way it is used in the set - the "skull cave" just lies loosely on the top of it, not attached in any way. What's more, if we look at the back side of the island, there's a big ugly hole in the middle right below the cave - did the designer forget to add some plants or something to seal it or what?

I wanted the castaway minifig with the torn trousers so much, but here's another disappointment - if you lean the torso backwards, you see yellow on his legs, where the brown trousers should be. Great, a minifig which has a limited articulation, unless you want it to look silly.

It's good to have a cannon, but it's used in a way that makes no sense at all - on a rotating platform on a small boat (just like in the old 6245 Harbor Sentry which didn't make sense either).

I gave it a 3, or maybe it's more like 2,5? It's a good thing that we had sets much better than this in this new Pirate line - had it only been sets like this one, I'd consider the whole return of Pirates a disappointment.

I was surprised with this set, when I got it. It has a fine collection of Gems, but I think Lego could have done better. Perhaps another Island piece turned around and connected to the Island piece, aka make the island an Actual Island, not just cut it off down the middle. That's what I would do, if I had two of those sets. Another disappointment is the cannon on that rowboat. In RL, don't you think if you shot a cannon of of that small rowboat the boat would tip over? I think so, and I do have a Real Rowboat, that my Grandfather gave me. :pir_laugh2:

Let's focus on the pros of this set. I really like the fact that it has a lot of gems, and It has some good Pirate Minifigs. I like the small fish roasting over the fire. That was very creative. :pir-blush: The dock has a "wooden" texture that really stands out. Overall though, I would have to rate this set an "Average". I think that Lego could have done better. :pir-sceptic:

Edited by Captain M

This is actually a set I wish I had bought. It's a good size and you get alot of good pieces and figs for the price.

Great review WF!

I am glad I got this set it come with great figs and a fish being roasted along with a dark blue row boat, an aligator, and an island piece. I agree though Lego could have done better :pir-sceptic:

I must say I like the skull from this set though (I know it's been in some other sets too), I'll definitely use it for a sinister looking pirate ship or pirate base in the future.

the back of the island is symmetrical so you could put two island pieces back to back to make them bigger. but that does involve buying another Loot Island. :pir-sceptic:

This happened to be a set which accidentally caught my sight one day in a local shopping-mall and brought back light in my dark ages.

As I was off for a couple of years, many things were new to me, a way more positive than the bad ones.

First of all mifings (at a first glance I didn't like those new details like printed hat, in my opinion these things are killing beauty of classic lego's simplicity, but I got over it a way fast), shipwrecked one's just awesome, i want more scumbags like this

Piece selection and features are nice: fire place with that fish roasting in it, disordered planks of dock, new colors of crocodile, cannon and a chest, that little tree (weird but sweet), gold and jewels, telescope

I tried to get along with baseplate, I really did, but didn't succeed, not to get too deep in it, it's just so un-lego for me, as well as that one piece skull, it may be better without it at all, reason for changing the old flag is abstruse, and a new treasure map should be banned forever.

I miss those pointless additions of skeletons in sets, looks like here it would work so well :-)

Greetz from Serbia

The only thing I could ever think of is making that baseplate into a giant sandcastle...though I believe thats already been done..

Another incredible review from Whitefang! Thanks a lot for making this one, since I think Loot Island is one of the 'must-have' sets of the recent Pirates line.

By way of minifigs and parts, the set is good, but as for that baseplate, theat kind of knocks way into the points. This is especially because of the slight angle the back of the piece is at, making it really difficult to put two of them together.

I generally dont like sets with parts that are large and pretty much preassembled as it limits creativity and MOCing, I first noticed this with newer lego city cars whereby the whole chassis was one solid piece.... LAME!

Oddly enough my dad said the exact same thing about the lego hulls used for the ships from 1989 onwards

Theres a lot to be said about the old 2x4 bricks

Edited by Aquila D'oro

I personally absolutely dislike this set.

With the new baseplate it looks like playmobil to me. Not one of legos best efforts IMHO.

funkybrick