Sign in to follow this  
Klaus-Dieter

EBCTC: City Square

Hello everybody! :sweet:

After having added the last details to my entry and taken some pics of it last weekend here it finally is - my entry to the great Eurobricks Classic Castle Contest:

City Square

In the middle of Lego City you can find the city square with a fountain, a flower stand, a hotel, a backery and an ancient restaurant with winter garden. Look at what's going on on the streets: A police man watches carefully the traffic, someone is hurrying fast with a blue car to work, the post officer empties the mailbox, someone makes a bicycle tour, some kids teeter while their grandmother looks after her youngest grandchild in the buggy, a man presents his wife with a bunch of flowers he bought at the flower stand before, a kid is skateboarding, another kid comes back from school while his friend is buying a hot dog at the hot dog stand, a guest leaves the hotel and a toursit walks along the sidewalk.

simg0011.jpg

(picture for contest and poll)

Another point of view:

simg0014.jpg

The inside of the houses:

The hotel includes a reception with lounge on the first floor, a guest room with bath room on the second room and a little conference room on the third floor.

The backery simply includes a desk and a cashpoint.

The ancient building includes a restaurant with bar and winter garden on the first floor, a children's room on the second floor and the attic.

simg0017.jpg

I hope you like it. Comments are welcome! :sweet:

Klaus-Dieter

Wonderful display! :sweet: I really like the living atmosphere and the classical playability of the buildings :thumbup:

Good luck for the contest! :wink:

Great entry!

You have really managed to put in a great level of detail. I especially like the renovation of the 'ancient' building with the restaurant and wintergarden. The hotel has an impressive facade, especially with the inverted slope detail at the top and the black balcony pieces.

Ahhhh... Klaus-Dieter has officially entered the contest, and with a fantastic entry that has Classic Town written all over it. Very nice KD. Classic grey baseplates, indeed a perfect choice for this scene. And you successfully managed to incorporate not two, but three buildings in this City Square, all with very nice detail, inside and out. My eyes immediately focus on the bright red roof to the left, a very nice building indeed.

And is that a flower stand with white and blue top, it is! Great addition. The extra details like the red and yellow bicycles really fancy up your square. I love that 4-stud wide blue car (although I think I've seen that before in a set) - must be the traditional style.

A very nice entry for the Classic Town Contest. I'm glad you enjoyed building this great entry, as I did when I put mine together.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Awesome. I will admit that I can't stand to leave out that back wall and no stairs, but Classic Town is an exception. It's always nice to see something simple and fun being built.

Keep up the good work!

Hi K.D, thanks for taking your time off during your study semester to participate this contest. I really appericate the amount of work and effort which you have put in over the two baseplates. This entry is filled with many classic elements and you sure know how to present it right, with the whole row of Classic Buildings.

From the Winter Garden resturant which has awesome details such as its dining area, and the above levels are actually residential area for the owner to stay in. While the single story Bakery shop stay true to its classic design, similar to the 80's Snack Bar outlet. Although there are no bakery shops back then using the new croissant element, but you managed to integrate these recent elements well into this concept.

The hotel at the end is just so beautiful, I love how you blend those black and white together, especially the balcony. It's really very neat. Those street vendors hogging at the front of the hotel must be trying very hard to get their hands on those tourists walking out of the hotel. The flower stand seemed very familar to me. By any chance, is that your impulse set entry which we had last year? :tongue:

The entire City Square is filled with excitement and tons of activities coming out from each and every minifigs. Well done. If you don't mind, could you extend a link at the end of your post. I am sure you have more images to share. I wanted to see some of the angles much clearer such as the fountain, the street cleaner and etc.

Thanks for sharing, and I am glad you had enjoyed this contest. This entry has been covered by Classic-Town.net :thumbup:

Thank you all very much for your nice comments! :sweet:

I'm very happy that you like it!

Wonderful display! :sweet: I really like the living atmosphere and the classical playability of the buildings :thumbup:

Good luck for the contest! :wink:

Thanks, BlueBard! :classic:

Great entry!

You have really managed to put in a great level of detail. I especially like the renovation of the 'ancient' building with the restaurant and wintergarden. The hotel has an impressive facade, especially with the inverted slope detail at the top and the black balcony pieces.

Thanks, svelte_corps! :classic:

Since this should be a classic town layout I thought that there has to be an ancient buidling - the restaurant. But I even thought that it would be nice to add something special to it. So I had the idea of adding a winter garden to it which combines the ancient style with a new style.

Ahhhh... Klaus-Dieter has officially entered the contest, and with a fantastic entry that has Classic Town written all over it. Very nice KD. Classic grey baseplates, indeed a perfect choice for this scene. And you successfully managed to incorporate not two, but three buildings in this City Square, all with very nice detail, inside and out. My eyes immediately focus on the bright red roof to the left, a very nice building indeed.

And is that a flower stand with white and blue top, it is! Great addition. The extra details like the red and yellow bicycles really fancy up your square. I love that 4-stud wide blue car (although I think I've seen that before in a set) - must be the traditional style.

A very nice entry for the Classic Town Contest. I'm glad you enjoyed building this great entry, as I did when I put mine together.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks, TheBrickster! :classic:

The ancient building with the restaurant was my first idea. Then I originally wanted to add a post office to the layout. But in the style I wanted to build it I didn't have the right bricks (which I remembered too late for a PaB order) but even the 8x... baseplate would have been too little. So I immediately had the idea of a hotel - which should be a content of every complete city, too. Since there is in the most big sets something food related included I thought it would be nice to have a bakery (ok, it's not a real bakery, it's more only a baker's shop - but nevertheless) - and a hot dog stand would surely make well, too.

And yes, you're right - the blue car is built after an instruction of a Town set (regrettably I don't find its number that fast but I think from the beginning of the 90ths or end of the 80ths) but I changed it a bit (without roof fence, with different baseplate).

Awesome. I will admit that I can't stand to leave out that back wall and no stairs, but Classic Town is an exception. It's always nice to see something simple and fun being built.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, MdrnMrvls! :classic:

Hi K.D, thanks for taking your time off during your study semester to participate this contest. I really appericate the amount of work and effort which you have put in over the two baseplates. This entry is filled with many classic elements and you sure know how to present it right, with the whole row of Classic Buildings.

From the Winter Garden resturant which has awesome details such as its dining area, and the above levels are actually residential area for the owner to stay in. While the single story Bakery shop stay true to its classic design, similar to the 80's Snack Bar outlet. Although there are no bakery shops back then using the new croissant element, but you managed to integrate these recent elements well into this concept.

The hotel at the end is just so beautiful, I love how you blend those black and white together, especially the balcony. It's really very neat. Those street vendors hogging at the front of the hotel must be trying very hard to get their hands on those tourists walking out of the hotel. The flower stand seemed very familar to me. By any chance, is that your impulse set entry which we had last year? :tongue:

The entire City Square is filled with excitement and tons of activities coming out from each and every minifigs. Well done. If you don't mind, could you extend a link at the end of your post. I am sure you have more images to share. I wanted to see some of the angles much clearer such as the fountain, the street cleaner and etc.

Thanks for sharing, and I am glad you had enjoyed this contest. This entry has been covered by Classic-Town.net :thumbup:

Thanks, Whitefang! :classic:

And thank you very much to adding it to Classic-Town.net!

You're right - the flower stand is very similar built to my market stand in last year's Classic Castle contest. But I changed the it a bit. Originally I wanted to have a white-red roof to it but I didn't have the bricks.

About the link: I did only take those three pictures. But when I've got time I'll take some more pics, add them to my BS gallery and will then post a link here (but surely not before next weekend - sorry :blush: ). Btw: What street cleaner do you mean? I didn't add one to my layout.

Klaus-Dieter

Btw: What street cleaner do you mean? I didn't add one to my layout.

Err, what is that postman doing with its yellow bike with that puddle of red stuff at the pavement? I can't figure out what he is doing? There are so many stuff going on down there, and I hope to see more closeup pictures next week when you are free. Good luck in this contest. :classic:

Err, what is that postman doing with its yellow bike with that puddle of red stuff at the pavement? I can't figure out what he is doing? There are so many stuff going on down there, and I hope to see more closeup pictures next week when you are free. Good luck in this contest. :classic:

Thanks, Whitefang! :classic:

You supposably meant the post officer with his yellow bicycle. He empties the mail box in order to collect the letters to bring them to the post office.

Klaus-Dieter

Wow, well done Klaus-Dieter :) I was expecting your entry, seeing as you're one of the people around here who really love the "Classic Town" look. I see you've gone for a Town Plan kind of scene (lots of details, nicely structured buildings, etc.) and you've done a nice job with that! By the way, I really dig that definitive early 90s feeling of your MOC; if it had been on sale during that time it would definitely have been an exclusive item ;] Personally, we've got an awful lot on our hands with work deadlines & exams knocking at the door so I don't think we'll manage to build anything for this contest, but seeing entries such as this one has really made it a whole lot of fun for us! Thanks for that :classic:

It looks very much like Classic Town to me, and yet it's quite different from any real classic town set I know - and despite the use of quite a lot of modern parts/colors. Great work!

Whitefang, I can clearly see a mailman with red bags on his bike, emptying a red mailbox. I see no puddles?

Classic! As in litteraly. This certainly has the vibe that is so typical of classic-town sets, that it wouldn't be too hard to use this in an April 1st-joke, and have people fall for it.

Really nice piece of work, Klaus-Dieter. And a very competitive entry, it won't be easy to predict a winner, that's for sure. :thumbup:

Nice entry... you certainly captured the atmosphere of the two-baseplate-classic-town-scene sets (Main Street 6390/10041, Town Square 1592, ...) - that are released so sparsely by LEGO - in your entry.

Nice entry Klaus :thumbup:

For information : My Windturbine 4999 is 95% to finished ! :classic:

Really nice! I like it! the flower stand is just really cool!

we've got an awful lot on our hands with work deadlines & exams knocking at the door so I don't think we'll manage to build anything for this contest, but seeing entries such as this one has really made it a whole lot of fun for us!

Aww, I was really looking forward to your entry too. You are also one of the avid town lovers, and your entry could represent your views towards Classic Town.

Whitefang, I can clearly see a mailman with red bags on his bike, emptying a red mailbox. I see no puddles?

Something is clearly wrong with my eye sight. :look:

That kid needs to watch where he is going on his skateboard =)

This has a real nice classic feel to it, maybe apart from the skateboard which is a relatively new piece. Nice job!

Something is clearly wrong with my eye sight. :look:

Out, damn spot!

You've turned into Lady Macbeth, seeing puddles of red blood everywhere! :wink:

Darkfang's mental confusion did draw my eye to the yellow bicycle though :laugh:

Thank you all very much for your nice comments and wishes! :sweet:

Wow, well done Klaus-Dieter :) I was expecting your entry, seeing as you're one of the people around here who really love the "Classic Town" look. I see you've gone for a Town Plan kind of scene (lots of details, nicely structured buildings, etc.) and you've done a nice job with that! By the way, I really dig that definitive early 90s feeling of your MOC; if it had been on sale during that time it would definitely have been an exclusive item ;] Personally, we've got an awful lot on our hands with work deadlines & exams knocking at the door so I don't think we'll manage to build anything for this contest, but seeing entries such as this one has really made it a whole lot of fun for us! Thanks for that :classic:

Thanks, TheOtters. :classic:

It's really a pity that you haven't got the chance to participate in the EBCTC, too. What about only a little scenery, somethings that needs lees time to build? :wink: In other respects I hope that you'll at least have to take part in the next contest. :classic:

I had the big luck that this great contest started in the last week of my semester holidays. So it was a bit curtly but nevertheless I had the chance to build this my entry in the last days of my semester holidays. If the entry started after the beginning of my semester I wouldn't have been aible to participate in the EBCTC, too.

Klaus-Dieter