37 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

traintech1.jpg

All aboard! Train fans hop aboard their Emerald Night, Super Chief, BNSF, Swiss Crocodile, or any other Lego train. We're heading to a most exciting place for railroaders, the World City Train Level Crossing (Set #10128). This beauty of a train crossing came out as part of the "World City" town collection when trains were in and town was out (or at least the towns we all knew and loved).

Train Level Crossing

Set #: 10128

Theme: Trains / World City

Year Released: 2003

Piece Count: 325

Minifigs: 2

Track: 3 (9V straight)

List Price: $50 (USD)

The first view of the box immediately catches train fans' eyes with the bright red signal tower and crossing gates:

01.jpg

While the backside of the box provides no alternate models, some nice imagery is included:

02.jpg

The instruction book provides the same image as that of the box:

03.jpg

Page 45 of the instructions shows an image of the completed set:

04.jpg

While the set does have some wonderful printed pieces, it also includes a sticker sheet for the signs:

05.jpg

Hey look! It's Conductor Charlie with Bennie from Mystery Ship? (oops... flashback!... splashes water on face to concentrate on set review)

06.jpg

Wow! How about seven tools included within this set? Not many sets have this many accessories (and none attached to a plastic wheel):

07.jpg

This set only includes the latest technology in train signalling. These are all printed pieces (no stickers). I love the computer:

08.jpg

What if any of these gadgets break down or the train stalls at the crossing? Never fear, a track and road repair vehicle provides a quick fix. This great little maintenance vehicle has wheels for road plates, and adjustable train wheels for trackside travel. It's even 4-studs wide with classic town doors!

09.jpg

A wonderful crossing makes sure tabletown travel is safe for the citizens of Train Town:

10.jpg

The crossing beams/arms can be lifted with a small lever at the right side:

11.jpg

They rest in a component at the other end:

12.jpg

NOTE: I never put the stickers on the crossing signs.

Let's have a look at the great crossing tower:

13.jpg

Train figs can go inside the 1st floor or up the stairs to the 2nd floor:

14.jpg

The 2nd floor has a door and a very nice modern roof. The time 10:21 is prominently displayed on the digital clock:

15.jpg

Inside the 1st floor is an adjustable screen computer:

16.jpg

And on the 2nd floor, the main switching system. Isn't that a great printed brick?

17.jpg

A stepped bridge with four sets of stairs provides a safe walk over any train (including the new Emerald Night). In fact, all of my trains have safely made it under this bridge including the My Own Train Caboose that is probably one of the more taller of rolling stock. The clearance along the side of the track is 4-stud wides on each side allowing a wide train to pass through:

18.jpg

Here is the complete set:

19.jpg

And a shot of the new Emerald Express :blush: Night passenger car running through:

20.jpg

Lastly, an image of this fantastic set in Train Town:

21.jpg

Summary

Train Level Crossing is a wonderful set for train fans. The color is an excellent choice and compliments the Train Engine Shed (set #10027) nicely. The yellow maintenance vehicle adds a high level of fun and playability to the set. I like the added details like the computer and switching brick that are great pieces for any town fan. My only complaint is the use of stickers for the crossing signs. This is one set that I'd highly recommend for any Train Town. Those participating in Murder on the Emerald Express may even see it again soon.

Good review. It's a great set, I own one, but it's got one major flaw. Well, I don't know if *IT* has a flaw, or the 10014 Caboose does, but either way, the Caboose cannot clear the pedestrian bridge. We learned this at a TexLUG meeting when we sent a train at full speed through with disastrous results.

--Tony

This is a great review!, and I understand that with 'World City', town fans had some hard times! (this has got to be the only set from that dark age of Lego, that I think stands up to those four letters -lego)

This set actually looks good for that period, and I think you would not need a lot of modification to make it sit right with modern Lego, and that amazing train you have.

When I was a kid I had Lego trains (sadly all passed on to family a long time ago), and I had 6835, this has brought back memories of all the play factors (angry drivers, accidents...).

Well, I don't know if *IT* has a flaw, or the 10014 Caboose does, but either way, the Caboose cannot clear the pedestrian bridge. We learned this at a TexLUG meeting when we sent a train at full speed through with disastrous results.

--Tony

But that sounds like good fun to watch though!

So maybe not a flaw, but added 'play value'!

Thanks for the great review!

I really like this set. I'm a bit sad I don't have it, but however, I do own the Train Engine Shed, which is an even more fantastic set than this one, but they would go well together. I hope I will find this set in the future, because then it would be a great addition to my town when I'm older.

Nice review. I like all the printed pieces, especially that big junction control panel that only appeared in one other set. You would never see that happening today, as they would cheap out and make it a sticker. :tongue:

This is a great review!, and I understand that with 'World City', town fans had some hard times! (this has got to be the only set from that dark age of Lego, that I think stands up to those four letters -lego)

World City actually had numerous good sets and came after that bad period. The crappy sets were all from the Town Junior/City Center line before it.

Edited by CP5670

Well, I don't know if *IT* has a flaw, or the 10014 Caboose does, but either way, the Caboose cannot clear the pedestrian bridge. We learned this at a TexLUG meeting when we sent a train at full speed through with disastrous results.

Am I mistaken? I thought the caboose clears the bridge? I'm going to have to break it out and check. It sound like you remember the crash well.

A great review of a great set. I used to own this set and it is just as good as it looks in the pictures. However, I sold it for reasons I'm not sure of even now.

I regret it though... :sad:

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

World City actually had numerous good sets and came after that bad period.

I would be interested in seeing some of those, all the World City sets I have seen look horrible!

I would be interested in seeing some of those, all the World City sets I have seen look horrible!

Pretty much any of the larger sets from the police line, for example. The train sets like this crossing or the big shed were also good.

It depends on whether you like the classic 90s town sets, since the WC sets were styled after those to a large extent, more so than the current city lineup. The vehicles had normal doors, lights, mirrors, etc. and very little in the way of huge, specialized pieces, in stark contrast to Town Junior. And there was an attention to brick quality that we no longer see today, with many more printed parts used.

Edited by CP5670

Nice crossing, but the car is just.. :sceptic: I like this maintenance vehicle more:

4541-1.jpg

I see you point that 'World City' was a vast improvement on 'Town Jr', but in my eyes they still look a bit 'cheap and nasty' (and i don't think for one minute that they were actually cheap). But we live in the here and now, and Lego in 2009 is spot on!

Great review, Brickster!

I, or better we own one copy of this set when I started to buy rolling stock and all that belongs to it for my son, Christmas 2003.

One of the best train crossings I have seen from Lego (besides the 12V "remote" controlled ones, but that is another story).

One of my favourites from that time: 7033 Armoured Car Action

7033-1.jpg

6 wide, design shows the future for that time: it looks like all the 6-wide cars coming after 2003 and includes 3 (!) chrome gold tiles! :wub:

(Ok, it´s got a weird opening mechanism, but that survived even into 2009 :sceptic: )

I thought that part of it was very clever actually. It locks into place and you use the "keys" to open it.

There were in fact 4 gold tiles and the 7033 printed slope on top was unique to the set. It even included a matching left side door for MOCs, even though the set itself doesn't use it. :thumbup:

Good review. It's a great set, I own one, but it's got one major flaw. Well, I don't know if *IT* has a flaw, or the 10014 Caboose does, but either way, the Caboose cannot clear the pedestrian bridge. We learned this at a TexLUG meeting when we sent a train at full speed through with disastrous results.

--Tony

Yes, great review Brickster.

I recognised the low bridge and didn't buy this set, given my larger trains! I work to a minimum bridge clearance of 37 plates. I could build it higher instead.

The bridge could do with a few more handrails. The Batcave shows how, though this was released a few years later.

The style of signal box irked me a bit. A bit too modern and rounded, with too many pieces I'd be unlikely to use in a MOC. A classic UK 'box with sash windows and pitch roof looks a lot better. I have to build one about 16x30 for my layout.

One flaw that almost all LEGO level crossing sets have had is that they are tied to the current fashion of road plates.

It used to be that a level crossing would be in the shops for 5 years, longer than most sets. The road plate design has often moved on in that time, and indeed the roads have become wider and grown drains since 7866 days. Almost better to supply a plain baseplate or perhaps a 16x32 positioned along the track, such that the ramps overlap the edge and do not dictate the adjacent road format.

I have a couple of the older crossings, 7832 and 7835 (both 2nd hand), as well as 12V crossing 7866.

7866 is in a class of its own with the automatic barriers, but modern PF methods can help others catch up. The Technic worm gear block is good for barrier mechanisms.

I agree about the stickers - it is a shame about needing them for the crossing lights, especially compared to 7866, though the sign pieces are better than most for use with stickers because it's a single sticker for a single whole surface of one piece - no stickers over brick joints. I was thinking of trying such a scheme for more railway signs, buying a few sign pieces, depending on what sort of stickers I could use. For UK crossing lights I have made light clusters 4x3 with a couple of white 2x3 plates at the back and a black 2x3 plate with the lights on it, because those lights have a yellow warning light and two alternately flashing red lights. PF lights might make things interesting if modded...

Mark

...and compliments the Train Engine Shed (set #10027) nicely.

Sadly. the Emerad Night doesn't. It is about a stud too wide to fit into the shed. :cry_sad:

Great review TheBrickster! The only bone I have with this set is the footbridge. It needs railing, and it kind of looks thrown together with reallly only 4 main parts in it. :hmpf_bad:

But thanks for the review mate! :classic::thumbup:

This set completely flew under my radar, along with the large Train shed, even when it went on sale, so it's nice to see some detailed pics. Thanks for the great review. I love that control panel with the track layout.

I'm sure this doesn't need to be said, but your layout is looking outstanding :wub:

Great review! :thumbup: I had never seen this set before as it was released during my dark age. I never knew TLG could produce such a nice train level crossing before in World City. This is one great additional component that could be integrated well into other railway settings. There are many nice printed tiles inclusive of the control panel which look like a subway viewing panel. What a great set for train lovers. I am sure you will have lots of fun playing with the Emerald Night along with the rest of your train collection. Thanks for sharing it with us, and this review has been blogged into Classic-Town.net. :wink:

Thank you very much for this great review, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

I voted for Above Average

since the interior is a bit empty (e. g. no chair upstairs), there could be at least one civilian minifig crossing the passenger bridge and since I don't like the new baseplates of World City (and even not the ones of the current City theme).

I really :wub: this set since it is not only a simple and functional train level crossing but much more:

- it includes a decent little house with the railway control center in it

- the service car (with car doors for this period of City sets very exceptional!) is a great addition

- the passenger bridge is simply brilliant and an awesome and very useful idea

When I saw this train level crossing and the train station which goes with it in the Lego catalogue the years when they were sold in toy shops I really wanted to buy these sets but didn't have got the money. At the moment TLG releases so many great City and SW OT sets that I need all my money for them. But perhaps somewhere in the future I'll get my hands on this excellent train level crossing - or on a re-design of it if TLG releases more train-based sets in the future.

Klaus-Dieter

I wish I had picked this up back when I had a chance. Today, on Bricklink at least, it's price is 3-5 times MSRP. :thumbdown:

I love this little set. First I ever got. :cry_happy: Back in '03 (can't find any of the pieces, though) I bought this, I loved Lego since. Thanks for the nostalgic review, Brickster.

CT

For me this set is outstanding. I especially like its colour scheme, but the pedestrian bridge is also extremely nice.

I think I mentioned it somewhere else: I envy you because you have that set with old grey. I didn't want this set anymore when I found out that you couldn't be sure anymore if it had bley or old grey bricks in it. I have the engine shed that had the same problem, but I bought it MISB from a seller who got it a very short time after its release and could thus gurantee that it came with old grey. And he was right!!

By the way, thanks for the review!

Nice Review Brickster. A neat little set. I gave it an above average rating. The minifigs, vehicle, accessories, good color scheme, and generaly good design earns it the rating.

What keeps it from an outstanding are the rounded elements. They are symptomatic of the unnecessarily streamlined and futuristic design elements that plagued much of the World City line, including the train station, trains, aircraft, and many of the ground vehicles from the 90's and early '00s. Fortunately, it's only evident in the roof design and the oddly sloped crossing gate stands, and both are easliy modifyable.

WOW!

Thanks bro for the fine review! Not really a train fan, but i have never come to eyes with this set until ur review! Very interesting set!

The buildings are nice with all the minor small details, however, i think the maintenance truck is way below standard... It looks too small and not really sure about the alternative tryes and tracks...

Overall a fine set, esp. for train lovers! Thanks again for the hard effort in presenting to us this 'almost neglected' set! Cheers! :thumbup:

TLG definitely could have done a better job designing this set. This set looks so plain, it has that thrown together look and feel. Something they added at the last minute. The idea behind this set is cool, just needed a little more thought to the truck and platform. Piece to price ratio is definitely on the poor side. Just needed to add more detail for the price.

Model On!!