Sign in to follow this  
Starwars4J

Oh my!

Is this what happens when mixing old grey with bley? Is that actually grey?

gatehouse_try_1.jpg

Edit: Sorry Sting, this isn't mine :-D Just something I found on Brickshelf

Ich. Not as bad as I thought... but still not pretty...

StarwarsJ... you better get some pictures of your MOC's up soon...

Ich. Not as bad as I thought... but still not pretty...

StarwarsJ... you better get some pictures of your MOC's up soon...

Sorry, I actually have two exams tomorrow...so I've been a bit busy :'( Give me a few days to make it look acceptable ;) Honestly, the basement is so bare-bones right now, it's not even funny, I still need to fix up the windows, add that front gate, intersperse the dark grey throughout the wall, finish the "marble" in the entrance way, get the bookshelves up in the library, make the furniture, finish the first-floor fireplace, make the rugs for the first floor... >-|

Meh, but as long as you KNOW it's nowhere near done, I'm sure it won't be that bad (I've never shown anyone a MOC before :/

Now look at that and think about which one looks MORE gray-like/realistic... ;)

Personally, I blame it on the camera...it makes normal grey look almost brown/tan!

Personally, I blame it on the camera...it makes normal grey look almost brown/tan!

i agree. try putting in it in real sunlight, but without the walls reflecting sunlight...

what colors did you mix:

dark grey (used and new)?

bley (used and new)?

damn! just read it's not yours... |-/

I like it. :)

I would like to have seen some light gray included also. Some walls must be white washed you know ;)

i agree. try putting in it in real sunlight, but without the walls reflecting sunlight...

what colors did you mix:

dark grey (used and new)?

bley (used and new)?

damn! just read it's not yours... |-/

It seems to be a mix of light grey, bley, and old dark grey (though you can hardly tell from the camera. And I put that little note in at the end that it wasn't mine because I figured people would think it was ;)

I'll have one up within the week, though

Bley and Grey do not mix!

The new grey (bley) is too blue to go with the earth tones of the earlier grey. This mixture doesn't work for me. In fact, I've pretty much given up on buying sets that include large amounts of bley so as to prevent cross-contamination of my collection.

Later.

The new grey (bley) is too blue to go with the earth tones of the earlier grey. This mixture doesn't work for me. In fact, I've pretty much given up on buying sets that include large amounts of bley so as to prevent cross-contamination of my collection.

Later.

Well, if someone with colors as their name says so, then it must be true :-D

To be honest, I worry about cross contamination too, but I figure if the difference is so great, I can spot it, and if not...well then it doesn't matter

Later.

Good call...

What is the MOC in your Avatar... looks cool(and it looks like OLD (Real) grey too!)

The new grey (bley) is too blue to go with the earth tones of the earlier grey.  This mixture doesn't work for me.  In fact, I've pretty much given up on buying sets that include large amounts of bley so as to prevent cross-contamination of my collection.

Later.

Good call...

What is the MOC in your Avatar... looks cool(and it looks like OLD (Real) grey too!)

The castle I'm using for my avatar is one of my MOCs. If your looking for the gallery, try HERE. I made this castle last year. Currently I'm in the planning stages for something bigger. And yes, this is all old grey.

Later.

A beautiful castle Mr Blueandwhite! Is there a thread glorifying it in this forum? If not, why not?

Anyways... About this castle... Just how accurately are these colours reproduced? Many factors such as lighting may cause the colours to look differently to how they appear in real life. Just maybe this castle looks quite stunning in real life but the pictures we have been provided with doesn't do the castle any justice.

Freakin' Amazing MOC! I love the high walls and interior details! The feast scene is great! (This is, of course, in refernece to Blueandwhites amazing castle MOC)

gothic1.jpg

Here's a better pic of bley and light grey

eew

Edit: I meant eew to the colors, not the MOC ;) I happen to think the MOC is really nicely done

I don't know.. that is a cool MOC... but it still seems too... diluted... dirty. Its like water with oil in it.. you can see something.

It doesn't look that bad... maybe there is a little hope...

I know if I ever aquire a large amount of Bley I would not mix it with Old Gray as it seems too metal still..

The reason the contrast between the new grey (bley) and the old grey (good old grey) is so stark in the first MOC is because that MOC is composed of dark grey and bley, rather than the more conventional light grey that most castle MOCs are built from. Dark grey is a stronger colour (less diluted) than its lighter counterpart. The earth tones and blues are far more noticable in dark grey than in the lighter grey. The second MOC, not being exclusively dark bley/grey, does a better job hiding the shortcomings of the colour change. That being said, the blue tones of the new grey do not sit particularly well with the earthy tones of its predecessor. This makes it difficult to properly mix bley with grey in a MOC as it suggests brick discolouration rather than two distinct colours.

For newer collectors, or collectors with smaller collections, bley is the way to go. It is the wave of the future as it were. New grey is brighter, and fits well with the LEGO brand. For old collectors with large quantities of bricks, I personally believe it is best to separate your bleys from your greys as the mixture of the two elements tends to clash. Personally, I find the contrast between bley and grey to be one of the biggest challenges for vetran builders. The new colours actually work well with space MOCs, as they appear slightly metallic, while classic grey goes well with castle based MOCs. New grey is nice, but it doesn't mix well with its predecessor (in my opinion of course).

Later.

Honestly...it looks like a genuine castle wall now...I kinda like it :-D

Agreed. If anything, I'd actually sit and contemplate a specific pattern to do them in... like perhaps more of one type at the bottom dithering up into the other color above.

mister_phes Posted: Nov 15 2005, 03:31 PM 

Anyways... About this castle... Just how accurately are these colours reproduced? Many factors such as lighting may cause the colours to look differently to how they appear in real life. Just maybe this castle looks quite stunning in real life but the pictures we have been provided with doesn't do the castle any justice.

So many people forget that when mocing.

Taking pics as you go along GREATLY enhances the final product, especially if you lock an undesirably-colored piece too deep inside the moc to easily go back.

I don't know.. that is a cool MOC... but it still seems too... diluted... dirty. Its like water with oil in it.. you can see something.

Wait! I think I can see something! Is that the Virgin Mary? Quick! Sell this on eBay! Everybody loves to buy images of the Virgin Mary in unusual objects!