Sign in to follow this  
Ricecracker

MOC: Brush Fire Truck #2

indexed.gif V-LF-5E

3483840535_9348d7e8ab_o.jpg

So, after version #1 of my Brush/Bush/Wildland Fire Truck, I decided to give it a make-over based on some of my thoughts, as well as some suggestions from others (Mainly Ralph_S). So, without further ado, I present to you, Brush Truck #2.

Head-on view:

3483823507_7c54362753_o.jpg

Left Side:

3483841205_9373cbdc5d_o.jpg

Right Side-Equipment out:

3484654922_d7911f2445_o.jpg

3/4 View:

3484652136_0c5e0505fe_o.jpg

On it's display/base:

3484653824_ee6cda1593_o.jpg

Many more pictures on my flickr

C&C Welcome!

Ricecracker;

As a start, the rollcage is a great improvement over the original version. And I like the small details that have been added to it. The only complaint I have is the back. \Now brush trucks are rare where I live because we don't have many forest fires, however, the ones I do see a slightly different. Actually, the back is completely different. The front is fine, and the rollcage is great. It's hard to explain in words, so tak a look here.

A pic of the Brush trucks in my area...

truck48new.jpg

And here we have a brush truck with an inverted back, which is how it should be. The front is retty mich the same fas yours save the rollcage.

Unruh%20Brush%20Unit.JPG

In the end, it's all whether you want to make vrsion 3 like these ones, or take this as your final design and make it your own.

Just a few thoughts. :)

-VbBn

Thanks for the tips VBBN, and trust me, I've looked at my fair share of Brush Trucks before making these. The first one you had a picture of is called a Brush Breaker, and I'm planning on making one. Also, this truck is supposed to look a bit like these:

1197.jpg

and the ones on This website. Again, though, I really appreciate your tips.

Well, in that case, I would suggest making the back end two studs wider and making the back end longer. That way, it is more in proportion to the front. Notice the size of the back end in the link you had posted, and the proportions of your MOC. As for the pic you posted, that seems completely different.

Believe me, I'm great at drawing and evaluating trucks, cars, and MOCs, but when it actually comes to making them, it takesme too long to do them. My Halo mocs will be done though...

Hope that helps,

-VbBn

Well, in that case, I would suggest making the back end two studs wider and making the back end longer. That way, it is more in proportion to the front. Notice the size of the back end in the link you had posted, and the proportions of your MOC. As for the pic you posted, that seems completely different.

Believe me, I'm great at drawing and evaluating trucks, cars, and MOCs, but when it actually comes to making them, it takesme too long to do them. My Halo mocs will be done though...

Hope that helps,

-VbBn

I do understand where you're coming from, but I myself am contempt with it. I have probably worked more then 30 hours on this MOC, with about 10 hours on the back alone. I've tried making it longer, wider, etc., even as per your suggestions, but it doesn't look great. I will try it once more though, and make a final decision, but I can't promise anything :wink:

I think it looks fine as it is. The front roll cage is very well done as is the whole structure of the moc. My only suggestion would be to switch the black parts in the back to pearl silver or maybe gray so it has the aluminum feel to it. maybe you could do something to thin it out too, it is a little bulky in my opinion. But if think it is a good finalized version, I think it is fine as well, those issues are not big ones.

I think it looks fine as it is. The front roll cage is very well done as is the whole structure of the moc. My only suggestion would be to switch the black parts in the back to pearl silver or maybe gray so it has the aluminum feel to it. maybe you could do something to thin it out too, it is a little bulky in my opinion. But if think it is a good finalized version, I think it is fine as well, those issues are not big ones.

Thanks, but what do you mean by "too bulky"? I would love to improve my MOC, but would like to make sure I get everything right :grin:

Thanks, but what do you mean by "too bulky"? I would love to improve my MOC, but would like to make sure I get everything right :grin:

Use a different technique to not use thicker bricks in the back part of the truck. Use panels or plates maybe?

Use a different technique to not use thicker bricks in the back part of the truck. Use panels or plates maybe?

Why, the cabinets would not be able to hold anything?

This looks really good now, looks like you've raised the base a little as well. Much more in proportion as well now. Just goes to show that 'Version 1' of a MOC never really works! You need put in that extra time (which can often start to get frustrating!).

I've found that putting it away for a few weeks, and just taking a look every now and again gives your head the space that is needed. Then when you go back to it you are refreshed and can realise what is in your head. I'm still working on something started in January!

This looks really good now, looks like you've raised the base a little as well. Much more in proportion as well now. Just goes to show that 'Version 1' of a MOC never really works! You need put in that extra time (which can often start to get frustrating!).

I have raised the base, and I've actually also changed the wheels to this wheel and tire combination (Both black). Thanks for the feedback, and just goes to show that there is always room for improvement!

I've found that putting it away for a few weeks, and just taking a look every now and again gives your head the space that is needed. Then when you go back to it you are refreshed and can realise what is in your head. I'm still working on something started in January!

I'm also still working on a few things from January. In fact, I just finished some things from last year! I also find that coming back every now or then helps.

really really nice! I'm in love^^

Thanks, Guss! It's always nice to hear from you.

I have raised the base, and I've actually also changed the wheels to this wheel and tire combination (Both black).

This is a bit off subject, but would those fit inside a 'standard city' mudguard?

I think the modern style of trucks are amazing, apart from the wheels! The 'standard city wheel' which I presume you used originally are perfect for cars etc., but look totally out of proportion on anything bigger.

I have tried 56902.jpg

with

3483.jpg

which fit into the mudguard well (which I happen to quite like), but I was not overly impressed by the 'thin' profile of the wheel.

your thoughts would be appreciated!

This is a bit off subject, but would those fit inside a 'standard city' mudguard?

No, they wouldn't

I think the modern style of trucks are amazing, apart from the wheels! The 'standard city wheel' which I presume you used originally are perfect for cars etc., but look totally out of proportion on anything bigger.

I have tried 56902.jpg

with

3483.jpg

which fit into the mudguard well (which I happen to quite like), but I was not overly impressed by the 'thin' profile of the wheel.

your thoughts would be appreciated!

I actually never used that mudguard, as it would add a weird look to the truck. I did, however use them for Brush Truck #1, which is almost complete.

Your design is getting closer and closer to perfection.

I especially like the addition of the external cage.

:classic:

Thanks! Any suggestions to make it better?

I actually never used that mudguard, as it would add a weird look to the truck. I did, however use them for Brush Truck #1, which is almost complete.

No, the mudgaurds on this look spot on, and need no improvement.

But I am interested in what wheels you are using with #1 though?

No, the mudgaurds on this look spot on, and need no improvement.

But I am interested in what wheels you are using with #1 though?

#1 is based off of a Chevy Silverado and Chevy Avalanche. I am using these wheels.

They look like they might be usefull, and are an improvement on the 'standard city wheels' we get?

I look forward to you post of #1 then.

cheers

They look like they might be usefull, and are an improvement on the 'standard city wheels' we get?

I think that they both have their uses, though the current ones are actually better for TLG to include in sets. I personally found out about them recently, and so decided to try them out.

I look forward to you post of #1 then.

cheers

As do I. I'm still waiting for one piece to arrive before it is complete, but if you would like, I could take a preliminary picture.

As do I. I'm still waiting for one piece to arrive before it is complete, but if you would like, I could take a preliminary picture.

If you don't mind showing a WIP before you are happy with it! My interest is in better wheels for my trucks really, like I say I quite like the mudguard piece when used well and think better wheels with that piece would look good, so I am very interested in the solution you have used.

cheers

Edited by mikey

If you don't mind showing a WIP before you are happy with it! My interest is in better wheels for my trucks really, and am very interested in the solution you have used.

cheers

I'll tell you what. I have the piece on Brush Truck #2, so I'll put it on Brush Truck #1 and take a few pictures for you. I should have them up by tonight.

I have the piece on Brush Truck #2, so I'll put it on Brush Truck #1

For me that sums up the beauty of LEGO!

Seriously I look forward to Truck #1, I am quite intrigued ( and am hoping it might be the solution to my wheel problems!)

cheers mate

Seriously I look forward to Truck #1, I am quite intrigued ( and am hoping it might be the solution to my wheel problems!)

The wheels are actually very simple. I've taken a set of pictures which are up on my flickr already (See the link in my sig), and will try to post a topic for it (Brush Truck 1) tonight.

Go be a set designer! Go boy, now, go! :tongue:

I love it! Perfect size and shape, and neat idea! Perfect city addition.