41 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding!!

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Time to move house? sick of the old place?

Then you need the Model Town House!

If you don't like the house we can change it to something else, you need a school for the kids? price too much, how bout an apartment?

Set Name: Model Town House

Set Number: 4954

Theme: Creator

Pieces: 1174

Minifigures: 0

Price: $70US, $100Aus

Bricklink

Brickset

Peeron

Box

Dimensions 57.3 x 38 x 9.5cm

The front of the box shows the main Creator house model

21.jpg

The back of the box shows all three models and each vehicle.

22.jpg

Instructions

Three instruction booklets included, one for each model. Each is a pretty intense build, hence the large individual booklets. I decided to build the smallest model first. The Town House.

015.jpg

Model 1: Town house.

I really enjoyed building this model. It was a good way to ease in to building the other bigger models. This build consisted of two standalone town houses and a truck. I really liked the quaint neighborhood feel upon completing this section. On completing this section, there was a fair amount of bricks left over. It kind of felt like TLC could have made another floor for one of the houses from what was left over. The truck was a nice vehicle, though you wont fit a minifig in any of the vehicles except the convertible. They are scaled slightly smaller than a normal minifig car.

A nice front on view, showing off the nice individualized windows on each house. It would have been a lot easier to make them copies of one another, but designers have gone for nice separate builds for each, bravo TLC.

115.jpg

A peaceful suburban street.

116.jpg

A better look at the side of two storey house.

117.jpg

Birds eye view.

118.jpg

Just look at the nice windows on the smaller house, as well as the great guttering.

119.jpg

An imposing structure.

120.jpg

Complete with truck.

121.jpg

Model 2: The main house.

For my next build I went for the centrepiece, the grand daddy of living Lego style. If this baby doesn't cut it you will need to move to the big smoke and find an apartment on Cafe Corner :wink:

I love the corner detailing on this house, it is a fiddly part of the building and I often found myself pressing the tiles back onto the headlights after adding a few levels of bricks, however I think you will agree it looks really nice.

23.jpg

From this angle it looks rather majestic, even a little like a haunted mansion! :oh:

24.jpg

With a nice sports car parked on the driveway, the owners aren't short of a penny!

Though it may get a bit drafty in the lower floor of the house looking at the massive gaps above the windows :grin:

25.jpg

A quick view of the Garage and guttering on the side of the house, very nice. The door looks great open or closed and stays open very easily.

008.jpg

A better view of the tiling outside the house, and a look at the side windows.

009.jpg

Model 3: School house.

Off we go to the lovely school down the road.

Here is the typical angle as viewed by a Kindergarten child on the first day, a little intimidating!

001.jpg

From this angle we can see the lovely layout of playground equipment, including the basketball court, see-saw, and jungle gym amongst others.

003.jpg

A couple of views of the side of the school, complete with waste bin for lunch wrappers etc.

004.jpg

005.jpg

A well built schoolyard and house.

006.jpg

Birds eye view.

007.jpg

Conclusion

Parts: 9/10, An excellent variety of parts worthy of MOCing into other buildings etc. I was missing two parts unfortunately :sad:

Build: 9/10, I enjoyed all builds, however the most intense is obviously the largest flagship of the set. Both of the other builds were left with quite a few spare parts.

Design: 9/10, All three sets are strongly designed, I tip my hat to TLC, they pulled out all the stops on this set. Obviously with no interior or back of the house designing the score is slightly lower, but if those were included the price would have skyrocketed.

Price: 9/10, I picked two up for $89 Australian each and sold one on for a tidy sum, so I certainly wont be complaining about the price per part :wub:

In conclusion, I bought this set with the plan of bolstering my tan bricks, headlight and tile supplies, however I fell in love with the great designs and learn't a lot about Lego house building from the various models. I strongly recommend picking one up if you can find it at a good price. I believe fans were caught out when it stopped selling September last year. Its an awesome parts pack and features some great builds. So don't hesitate if you see one that's been sitting in some small town supermarket or elsewhere, because they fetch a hefty price on eBay and Bricklink nowadays.

Never hire Dwarven removalists!

ISC "I should have seen this coming!"

012.jpg

Thanks for making it this far, some extra pics can be found at my Brickshelf

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Oh man I loved this set ever since I saw the box, bought me a couple of them at €69 each while I could because they seem to be out of sale/production here in Belgium so I was lucky (and smart)! Again I state that lighten up my dark ages at the absolute perfect time proves that it is freaking meant to be..

Great review and shots you bring us, thanks! I actually never came to build the school building but your review makes me want to :thumbup:

edit: I voted 'outstanding' for it's amazing parts in both quality as quantity for a fair price.

Edited by Perterz

Thanks for providing us with a review of all three models of that set!

For me this set is outstanding. I want one so much, but, as you said, they're so expensive on eBay and bricklink. I'd be interested to know why TLC discontinued this set so quickly whereas the other creator house (the white one with the red roof) can still be bought.

I do like the look of the house. However, this house is far too big to place it in a layout. There's no interior in it, no floors and the car......yuch. I have one too, after build it......I decided to sell it again. I still miss a few slopes to complete the first model. After completing this set, I put it for sale.

That why I voted, below average. Looks great, but actually it's not complete after building.

Thanks for that fine review, I Scream Clone. One of the very best Creator sets ever, IMHO. :thumbup:

ISC, this is a very nice review. I only built the main design so far, and I just leave it there, without trying out the rest of the alternate designs. After reading this review, which you have provided with many terrific nice angles on this set, sure tempts me to find one more set to build with. Well, I don't see this set anymore though, but I will love to find one which is affordable, so I can expand my neighbourhood. :tongue:

By the way, this belonged to Other Themes, I will move it there. :wink:

Thanks for this review - I only ever looked quickly at this set in the shops and online and did not realise that the third building was a school - I had assumed that all three were houses! :classic: The scale of the school looks good to fit in with regular Town/City sets as being a public building won't feel oversized like the houses might. The design is very like many of the primary schools around where I live whic his nice too.

Great stuff. Now where to get a load of minifig kids...??

Cheers

Rog

Edited by rriggs

Great review, for such an amazing set! :cry_happy: It's a bit expensive but for the big amount of pieces (specially tan! :sweet: ) is really a clever inversion :thumbup: In fact I bought it yesterday and I'm already preparing a modular style alternate model, I'll try to post it soon :wink:

its a good set, but its too expensive :sceptic: i didnt know there was a school house but now its my favourite. great review :thumbup:

Thanks for all the nice comments guys! :classic:

It was an expensive set compared to others but for price per parts it was great.

Sorry Whitefang for posting in the wrong forum :blush:

nice review of a nice set^^ I own it and I have to say it allowed me to build a lot of things, my PTV entry was made with this set^^

I really think this is one of the best Lego sets out there in 2007. Lift the box´, and you will feel the weight of all the bricks.

I have only built the front cover model (your model 2) but I got an extra two boxes of the set, with the aim of building some very large building at some time in the future, using all three sets.

btw. this set was built by members of the Danish Lego user group Byggepladen, and displayed at LEGO WORLD in Copenhagen 2009. It was built at the scale 6:1, and each "big element" was built seperately by using normal bricks.

That huge 6:1 creation is placed in Billund now, in the PMD building, but I think a more permanent display is planned somewhere in Billund.

btw. this set was built by members of the Danish Lego user group Byggepladen, and displayed at LEGO WORLD in Copenhagen 2009. It was built at the scale 6:1, and each "big element" was built seperately by using normal bricks.

That huge 6:1 creation is placed in Billund now, in the PMD building, but I think a more permanent display is planned somewhere in Billund.

That's really interesting... do you know of any pics? I'd like to see such a display!

Great review, ISC. Those pesky dwarves get everywhere! :tongue:

nice review of a nice set^^ I own it and I have to say it allowed me to build a lot of things, my PTV entry was made with this set^^

Same reason I got it, to MOC!

I really think this is one of the best Lego sets out there in 2007. Lift the box´, and you will feel the weight of all the bricks.

I have only built the front cover model (your model 2) but I got an extra two boxes of the set, with the aim of building some very large building at some time in the future, using all three sets.

Now that I would like to see! Thanks for the great facts around the design of this set.

Cheers

Here is a picture from a Byggepladen member taken in Copenhagen.

picture from moc-pages

The building is just huge, and it's hard to believe it's not more than 6:1, but remember that 6:1 means that the area of the baseplate is 36 times bigger than the original, and the volume of the house is 216 times bigger.

For more pictures from Copenhagen, check out the links on the front page of:

Byggepladen (under "Billeder fra Lego World")

Edited by Front

Thanks for reviewing this set. It's one of my favorite, and probably one of the best sets ever for the value and usefullness of the pieces contained. I was lucky enough to receive this set for Christmas two years ago, and I didn't try all three builds, so thanks for showing all of them.

My wife built this one and loved it. One of her first and now she built so many of the houses. She takes her time and built all three models.

this is a great kit.

I found this set very nice with a different colourscheme than the normal used white walls with red roofpieces. I only don't like the grey baseplate with it. It makes it a bit to dark. A green baseplate would be better.

The only really complaint about me is that it don't have a floor and minifigs who walk in uncarefully fall down on the baseplate. I know it would be too expensive to give a whole inside with walls, but just a floor would be nice.