Sign in to follow this  
Svelte

EBCTC: Charlie and the Chocomel Factory

1620-1 - Charlie and the Chocomel Factory

Fresh from their success with 1978's Chocomel Factory promotional set, and buoyed by the popularity of Roald Dahl's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory', in 1979 Lego's designers decided to combine the licences by producing a special, limited edition set that would expand the Chocomel factory with an exciting adventure for boys and girls (and consumers of chocolate products everywhere :wink:). The set boasted a record number of new 'minifigures' which had recently been introduced and also experimented with new colours, some that would not be seen again for decades! Even though Lego changed the names of the central characters (Willy Wonka became Wally Wonky and so on), the threat of possible legal action from Roald Dahl scuppered the release, and the Lego group decided to focus their efforts on the three-pronged evergreen themes of Town, Space and Castle instead. For the first time, we are pleased to present confidential preliminary images of the mysterious 'Charlie and the Chocomel Factory'.

Outside the Factory

a-pic1-banner.jpg

Welcome to the world of Wally Wonky! Young Charlie and his Aunt Josephine have been lucky enough to find a pair of Golden Tickets which grants them a tour of the Chocomel Factory! At the gate, they are greeted by Wally Wonka himself and an Umpa-Lumpa assistant! The factory is protected by a tall red fence, and there is a ticket booth at the front gate. A strange tree can be seen from the road next to the enormous factory itself. Two massive red storage tanks containing delicious liquid chocolate sit on top of the factory roof next to an ornate tower.

(Alternate portrait view of the factory)

Meet Wally Wonky!

c-pic2.jpg

Here is a closeup of Charlie and Aunt Josephine meeting Wally Wonky and an Umpa-Lumpa, and handing over their golden tickets! Another lady is also queuing at the ticket gate! A special Umpa-Lumpa sized truck blocks the driveway and an Umpa-Lumpa in chef's attire unloads a delivery of dark chocolate from his little van. Inside the fence, a man is making a sundae from the liquid chocolate fountain which decorates the garden. Mr Wonky explains about the strange looking tree; at night, this is where the Umpa-Lumpas make their home!

Inside the factory

i-pic3.jpg

The Factory is bustling with activity! The delivery truck drops off raw material on the entrance to the left. Next, the chef Umpa Lumpa checks and selects ingredients of the highest quality. The two enormous storage tanks pipe chocolate direct to the factory floor. The Umpa Lumpa shapes the molten flow into delicious bars for all the family to enjoy. Waste products are deposited out the side door. The Chocomel tower contains Mr Wonky's office with a cash register (to measure the takings), a carrot juice and fruit - even Wally Wonky himself gets tired of chocolate sometimes! :laugh:

Thank you for visiting Wally Wonky's Chocomel Factory! We hope to see you soon again!

THE END

Nice MOC, svelte! So, this is based on a set...? If not, it's a nice parody :thumbup:

This is a great MOC for the contest svelte! You have done well achieving the Classic town feel, yet including great characters and storyline as well!

Fez On!

PS: stop buying new sets before the rest of us :devil:

simply amazing build you've got there! the amount of exterior and interior detail is just amazing. what a fantastic idea to do a chocolate factory!

Mmmh, Chocomel ... what a delicious work indeed! :cry_happy:

This is one great entry, and does brings back lots of memories of the storybook which I used to read from Roald Dahl's storybook and you managed to combine a similar concept from the orignal 1620's Chocomel Chocolate Factory. This is a breathtaking idea. You make use of both modern and classic elements together, and deliver an incredible looking Chocolate Factory. It's a a child dream to visit such factory, and taking the hoards of chocolate bars back home. Good use of the holder, that was used in the Farm set, and you pulled it off to be part of the chimmey's structure. The surrounding landscaping include the use of green burps, cypress tree, and the large tree at the back as well. What's with the buckets? :tongue:

The chocolate fondue fountain is very well designed. Furthermore, you have used those windows and doors well, to illustrate the entire building. The red van is indeed one of those classic looking designs. By the way, svelte_corps, now I understand how you produced so much chocolate in one location. :grin:

Great job, and good luck in this contest! This entry has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

That's a really fun entry Svelte. :classic:

I love the design of the building, especially the dark red storage thingies on the roof. Good work on the minifigs as well, but stop making us jealous with your new pieces. :angry::laugh:

Good luck to you!

Wonderful entry! I really like how you used the "roaded" baseplate and how you did the exterior garden and the factory pipes :wink:

BTW, you ALREADY have the fezs! :oh:

What's with the buckets? :tongue:

The buckets are where the Umpa-Lumpas make their beds at night. It probably could be clearer!

h-lumpasinthelumpatree.jpg

Very very very nice! Love the Oompa Umpa's fat little legs! :wub:

Way to show off your new fez pieces. :hmpf_bad::tongue:

Nice creation. It incorporates both classic and new town well. :thumbup: But aren't you prohibited to use new town elements in this contest? :look:

Keep up the good work, and please review Venice Chase ASAP! :cry_happy:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Nice creation. It incorporates both classic and new town well. :thumbup: But aren't you prohibited to use new town elements in this contest? :look:

Nope. Both modern and classic pieces are allowed to be used in this contest.

Just excellent^^ the Idea is very very cool and the realisation is superb, great job ! seriously!

Great entry Svelte! I love the name alone. When I first saw the name, I thought it was going to be the old Chocomel building. You've really created a nice MOC here. Great use of the Farm solo pieces. Lots of fine details bringing back my memories of the first Charlie Choco Factory.

This is a deliciously fantastic MOC in itself, and you've used many clever techniques, but I have to disagree with the others that it doesn't quite capture the Classic Town feeling.

See, there's too many MOC-techniques used for it to resemble the simplistic sets of the old days. And though I know it's not exactly forbidden, there's just too many colors and pieces that weren't used in the classic sets for this to pose as one. You've also used modern torsos for the minifigs, which is clearly against the rules.

But don't get me wrong, this sure is one imaginative, superb MOC that shows your skills as a builder. It's just doesn't quite fit the frames of the contest in my opinion, but of course it doesn't mean you can't win (unless this is disqualified, which would be a shame, really).

So in my opinion you could still work on it to better suit the contest (it would also be fairer to other contestants who've obeyed the rules more strictly, wouldn't it?), but the idea itself is terrific. The story of the Chocolate Factory is creepily tasty! :tongue:

You've also used modern torsos for the minifigs, which is clearly against the rules.

So in my opinion you could still work on it to better suit the contest (it would also be fairer to other contestants who've obeyed the rules more strictly, wouldn't it?), but the idea itself is terrific. The story of the Chocolate Factory is creepily tasty! :tongue:

I don't think I have broken any rules. If you read through the entry thread, it is clear that newer pieces are allowed, and newer colours. I asked these same questions all along the way. The restriction with minifigs is on the classic smiley face.

Sure, I have expanded upon the repertoire of techniques and updated the look but I actually am quite proud of how it feels like Classic Town to me. The Chocomel tower from 1620 is reproduced almost exactly as a direct reference but the basic layout of the factory exterior (shuttered windows, evenly spaced), the open back, classic foliage etc all are hallmarks of Classic Town. If Classic Town includes the Idea Books then this entry is very much in the spirit of those pages, and of Classic Town itself.

I don't see what fairness has to do with it, either. If this contest is really about an exact reproduction of Classic Town sets, then voters may not like my entry at all! However I interpreted the contest as expressing the spirit of Classic Town, not the exact letter - kind of like Hinckley's lovely banner.

I am sure WhiteFang would have let me know if there were any violations :wink: Probably this should be reiterated so that entrants in the next few weeks are sure about their position.

I don't think I have broken any rules. If you read through the entry thread, it is clear that newer pieces are allowed, and newer colours. I asked these same questions all along the way. The restriction with minifigs is on the classic smiley face.

That's where I got my info from, I didn't make it up. :tongue:

4. You may use up to 20 minifigs. Those minifigs should be classic style, meaning they use the traditional smile head and classic torsos. If you do not have the appropriate torso, you may use a custom printed one, as long as it's one of the old designs. Take a look at this gallery for some inspirations.

Trust me, I don't mean any ill-will to you, and I hope your entry does well, but there's just too many new pieces in it for it to feel classic to me. Again, just stating my opinions here, I'm not a judge or anything in this competition. :wink:

That's an awesome entry, svelte_corps! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

The interior as well as the exterior of the building is designed perfectly and very realistic! The tree, the gate, the fende, the fountain and the foliage plant add a very lovely atmosphere to it!

The only thing I don't like is that 1. you entry is based on a movie and 2. that you gave these little creatures brick-built legs.

Otherwise it's perfect.

Very, very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

I am sure WhiteFang would have let me know if there were any violations :wink: Probably this should be reiterated so that entrants in the next few weeks are sure about their position.
That's where I got my info from, I didn't make it up. :tongue:

Come on, the contest winner shall be determined by our EB Community via use of voting, I am not the only person whom judge on the entries. To add on, as long the basic rules are followed closely, by illustrating the Classic Town scene which is best suited for the builder, usage of traditional smiley heads, usage of one car and above with doors, and road baseplates which must be cleared by me in advance if they have doubts.

For the usage of Classic Town minifigs in terms of "torsos", I did try to enforce it at one time, but I decided to be a little lenient in the aspect. As one of our members had asked me before, if Town Plan minifigs are able to be used in the contest, I given the go ahead for such minifigs to be included as their torsos are closely related to Classic Town. For svelte_corps case, the only torso which is deemed not related to "Classic Town" is the blacksmith torso from the 10193 Medieval Market Villiage which I had just noticed. I will create an exception and update the rules, right now, by allowing others to use related minifigs' torsos that are not Classic Town nature, but allowing up to 5 non-related City Minifigs out of 20, but the ratio between them, Classic Town must always hold the higher ratio. You can used those minifigs' torso, but it will be a little disadvantage. Ultimately its up to our community to decide what is Classic Town. These rules are guidelines which I had placed, and I tend to modify the rules to allow participation as long its reasonable.

With regards to svelte_corps earlier questions, I had told him to go ahead and use short legs for the children and some new hairpiece elements for its female minifigs, as he don't have much classic hairpiece in his collection. I had stated my responses inside the discussion thread.

That's a great moc. I like the cozy architecture of it, especially the windows of the backside where the dustbin is. :classic:

I also now want to eat some chocolate. :tongue: