10194 Emerald Night  

252 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Above Average
    • Excellent

Didn't want to start a new topic just for this, but could someone explain to me what's happening in Book 1, page 6, step 5?

Where exactly is the 1x1 brick with the gold 1x1 round stud being placed??

Then, looking at Book 1, page 14, the 1:1 blow up shows nothing of the sort described above.

Didn't want to start a new topic just for this, but could someone explain to me what's happening in Book 1, page 6, step 5?

Then, looking at Book 1, page 14, the 1:1 blow up shows nothing of the sort described above.

Quite funny that you mention that, I had the same problem. I simply left both parts out, as they were not needed anywhere. Plus, my instruction manual looks different from the one posted above. This might be an error?

I'm lost. Which 1x1 brick and which golden stud?

book1page6step5.png

I don't have access to my image hosting server at work at the moment, but it looks like your image has answered my question. The parts required for step 5 you've posted has 4 different parts. Steps 4 & 5 from my instructions are building the exact same thing, but those 4 different parts are split into 2 steps PLUS there are 2 additional pieces in step 5 (which are the 1x1 brick and 1x1 gold stud). I think there's a booboo in my instructions booklet (along with the electronic .pdf version on TLG website).

At first, I wondered if this is a problem with the North American set of instructions. But Duq, you are in Killaloe? That's in Killaloe, Ontario? Because I'm in Toronto ...

Quite funny that you mention that, I had the same problem. I simply left both parts out, as they were not needed anywhere. Plus, my instruction manual looks different from the one posted above. This might be an error?

Ok. I suspected that was the case, but I wasn't sure. Something about that step just comes across as having some issues. The arrows aren't even aligning to the actual components being added/built. The response above from Duq actually cleared things up, even though (s)he didn't know it :)

Edited by j3tang

I think there's a booboo in my instructions booklet (along with the electronic .pdf version on TLG website).

That's odd, this picture is from the pdf I've downloaded...

But Duq, you are in Killaloe? That's in Killaloe, Ontario? Because I'm in Toronto ...

That's Killaloe, co Clare, Ireland. I didn't know there's a Killaloe in Ontario.

(s)he

That'll be he ;-)

well i find the engine a bit too simple. it's a nice model, but is it really that difficult to build a model like this when you're a lego designer with a vast supply of any type/color of part? i don't think so. it's a nice model, but not a clever model, it doesn't reflect the great skill of a designer. For that, you kinda need an excellent replica of a real engine, or far more details on this model, details you find very often on real engines like valves, tubes, bells,...

it's nice, but it's a missed opportunity to create a stunning model.

the coach.... hmmmmmm... i like the colors, but that's also the best part of the coach. there's nothing really that excites me on this coach. it uses the standard parts/format for any coach, so the least you can do is to create a great interior (and the modular houses show that Lego has the skills to do this) but that's really basic and not much changed since the 80's i think...

ah... i almost forgot... the doors... nope... not my thing...

so, is this worth the money? hmmm... well... if you've bought all sets you like, then just maybe it is... but as a display model? i don't think so...

That's odd, this picture is from the pdf I've downloaded...

That's Killaloe, co Clare, Ireland. I didn't know there's a Killaloe in Ontario.

That'll be he ;-)

hmm .. then there must be a different .pdf for NA and EU?

Either way though, the pic you posted helped :)

i bought two emerald nights and in book 1 page 6 step 5 they are not the same . the one book does not have the 1x1 brick and gold plate . the other does. it has to be a error because those pieces are used later on page 48.

The instructions have been changed. I've downloaded the file again and this time I've the instructions with the 1x1 brick (and two steps 4).

I'm not sure about the round plate but the axle in step 5 should go through the 1x1 brick, preventing the gear in the middle to come off its axle.

Hi,

I read your posting yesterday and this morning I tried to "manage" it. I have the "old" instructions, too.

Here are some pictures:

1:

bild040a.th.jpg

2:

bild042a.th.jpg

I added an additional grey plate to fix it (pic2)!

Tom

The instructions have been changed. I've downloaded the file again and this time I've the instructions with the 1x1 brick (and two steps 4).

I'm not sure about the round plate but the axle in step 5 should go through the 1x1 brick, preventing the gear in the middle to come off its axle.

Hi,

I read your posting yesterday and this morning I tried to "manage" it. I have the "old" instructions, too.

Here are some pictures:

1:

bild040a.th.jpg

2:

bild042a.th.jpg

I added an additional grey plate to fix it (pic2)!

Tom

Thanks for both of your replies! Unfortunately, as much sense as it makes, they did not give me enough pieces for this. Since I didn't quite understand what was happening (and the subsequent step, step#6, didn't show the brick in there) I omitted it like another member did above. By the time I was finished, I did not have a spare 1x1 tan brick with hole left over (or any color for that matter). I almost feel stupid calling, but because I don't usually have spare parts like these I might just have to to satisfy my anal retentive-ness.

Hi,

I took the 1x1 tan brick from page 44 and mounted the chimney with a 2x1 technic "spare" part.

Greetings,

Thomas

Hi j3tang,

Sorry about the hassle with the 1x1 Technic brick. The issue stems from instances where the small tan gear can come off once the engine is converted with Power Functions. Under a load, the gear does not have enough contact with the 5 1/2 module cross axel and can work its way off the end. In order to prevent this from happening, we've added an extra 1x1 tan Technic brick and a 1x1 round gold plate to the latest production runs of the Emerald Night. This brick assembly should be placed on the 6 module cross-axel for the drive wheels in order to physically block the gear from falling off.

The pdf on lego.com needs to be updated because it is not the latest version of the fix. I've spoken with our building instructions team who will work on updating the file asap.

Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

jamie

Edited by jamieberard

I have my own Emerald Night at home. Since there was only one coach, I made another one out of the bricks in my collection.

So hello jamieberard,

did I mount it the right way? And do you use sth like the "grey plate" to fix it?

For me it seems the train runs much more smooth, but I use no PF at this time, I use 9v.

Greetings

Thomas

So hello jamieberard,

did I mount it the right way? And do you use sth like the "grey plate" to fix it?

For me it seems the train runs much more smooth, but I use no PF at this time, I use 9v.

Greetings

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Yes, it looks like you mounted it correctly. It's nice that you added the extra gray half-bushing. We did not add that to the set because it's pretty tricky to get in there.

Cheers,

jamie

Hi j3tang,

Sorry about the hassle with the 1x1 Technic brick. The issue stems from instances where the small tan gear can come off once the engine is converted with Power Functions. Under a load, the gear does not have enough contact with the 5 1/2 module cross axel and can work its way off the end. In order to prevent this from happening, we've added an extra 1x1 tan Technic brick and a 1x1 round gold plate to the latest production runs of the Emerald Night. This brick assembly should be placed on the 6 module cross-axel for the drive wheels in order to physically block the gear from falling off.

The pdf on lego.com needs to be updated because it is not the latest version of the fix. I've spoken with our building instructions team who will work on updating the file asap.

jamie

Thanks for the update Jamie. Good to see that you guys at TLG are on the case!

With the original version of the Emerald Night kit, I added a spare half bush (small pulley) to the 6M axle, in the place opposite the output bevel gear.

I also ensured that the input bevel gear was all the way onto the 5.5M axle as I built it.

The bush would stop the input gear from falling out if it worked loose on the 5.5M axle.

Try this if you have the original kit without the extra 1x1 brick with hole.

Mark

Thanks Jamie (wow!) and Mark Bellis for the clarification!

I've since contacted TLG for a replacement tan brick but I could give the half bushing a try before it arrives :)

Hi j3tang,

jamie

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That step confused the living hell out of me when I built my Emerald Night, so I decided to keep the 1x1 Technic brick and the gold round 1x1 plate aside. However, later in the build, I had to use up that same 1x1 Technic brick for the piece that goes in the top middle of the engine (the bit that you take apart again when you convert the model for PF).

So my kit actually didn't have enough parts. It was missing the extra 1x1 Technic brick needed for the revision and also the little round 1x1 plate (there was one leftover spare, but there should always be a single spare of 1x1 round plates, so I guess this part was "missing" as well).

I think the biggest problem with this being really confusing is that the 1x1 brick and the 1x1 round plate don't reappear in step 6, causing them to disappear from the model entirely! Perhaps a further revision of step 6 is needed to make the instructions clearer, or has this already happened and is this why the .pdf has to be updated again? Also, adding the actual parts would help - do I understand correctly I ended up with some shadow batch that had the revised building instructions but not the updated bag contents and that this problem has been fixed already?

Edited by Rapseflaps

Ah, thanks for the clarification. That step confused the living hell out of me when I built my Emerald Night, so I decided to keep the 1x1 Technic brick and the gold round 1x1 plate aside. However, later in the build, I had to use up that same 1x1 Technic brick for the piece that goes in the top middle of the engine (the bit that you take apart again when you convert the model for PF).

So my kit actually didn't have enough parts. It was missing the extra 1x1 Technic brick needed for the revision and also the little round 1x1 plate (there was one leftover spare, but there should always be a single spare of 1x1 round plates, so I guess this part was "missing" as well).

I think the biggest problem with this being really confusing is that the 1x1 brick and the 1x1 round plate don't reappear in step 6, causing them to disappear from the model entirely! Perhaps a further revision of step 6 is needed to make the instructions clearer, or has this already happened and is this why the .pdf has to be updated again? Also, adding the actual parts would help - do I understand correctly I ended up with some shadow batch that had the revised building instructions but not the updated bag contents and that this problem has been fixed already?

I can imagine that you must have really been confused. It sounds like your box got the incorrectly updated building instructions without the pieces to support the changes. Well, actually, you really don't need the extra pieces until you choose to motorize your engine. That seems to be when the gear has an opportunity to work its way off. As a push model, it's highly unlikely that you'll experience the problem.

Also, should you choose to motorize, you can use the 1x1 tan Technic bricks which you remove from the model to make room for the IR Receiver. Plus you can use the 1x1 gold round plate which we overdose (include an extra of) in the the set.

This issue has been elevated to the appropriate people who will be sure to rectify the problem.

Again, my apologies for the extra hassle.

jamie

I can imagine that you must have really been confused. It sounds like your box got the incorrectly updated building instructions without the pieces to support the changes. Well, actually, you really don't need the extra pieces until you choose to motorize your engine. That seems to be when the gear has an opportunity to work its way off. As a push model, it's highly unlikely that you'll experience the problem.

[...]

This issue has been elevated to the appropriate people who will be sure to rectify the problem.

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know LEGO is working on even improving a set that is already out and doing well. It's a fantastic model already, but it's very nice to see LEGO still has it on its radar and hasn't simply 'moved on' :thumbup:

As for driving it, I don't even have the room to push it around. My model is currently simply sitting built on my shelf, just looking beautiful. :classic:

Edited by Rapseflaps

Also, should you choose to motorize, you can use the 1x1 tan Technic bricks which you remove from the model to make room for the IR Receiver. Plus you can use the 1x1 gold round plate which we overdose (include an extra of) in the the set.

jamie

I've sort of hinted at this earlier on in the thread regarding not seeing it in the following steps and I explained the situation to the TLG rep I spoke with to get the extra pieces. She just 'noted' what I mentioned but it really helps to know that someone in the up and up notices :)

Edited by j3tang

I'm a bit disappointed. I finally decided to buy the parts to power my Emerald Night today. But the Belgian www.Lego.com shop states that the XL-motor and IR receiver are backordered, with shipping dates of resp. 20th and 16th april '10. It seems really hard for Lego to keep all the parts available.