Sign in to follow this  
Holodoc

Review: Twin X-treme RC 8184

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Some days ago I was able to get the Twin X-treme RC set 10€ off the normal price.

My sons wanted an RC-controlled car - now they have it. And you get the review. :grin:

Set: 8184 Twin X-treme RC

Theme: Racers

Year: 2009

Pieces: 239

Price: 49,99€

Links: Bricklink - instructions - S@H

This is what Lego says:

"Take control of this remote-controlled off-road racing truck for top speed on any terrain -- then swap on a different top to instantly customize your truck into an extreme off-road racecar! Includes RC controller with forward/back and left/right driving functions, all the pieces you'll need to create two different RC racer tops, and instructions online for building two alternative remote-controlled racing models. RC controller with forward/back and left/right driving functions included! Download instructions to build two alternative remote-controlled racing models! Requires 3 AA and 3 AAA batteries, not included. Cars measure over 6 inches (15cm) long!"

The box:

pict0004.jpg

pict0005.jpg

Nothing really special here.

Inside the box:

pict0006.jpg

note the receiving unit (lower right corner) is packed in paper. :oh:

The sticker sheet - yes, there are plenty stickers inside. :hmpf_bad:

pict0007.jpg

This is one of two sets, that has got the new receiving unit with build in steering mechanism. So let´s have a look at it:

pict0008.jpg

pict0009.jpg

pict0010.jpg

pict0011.jpg

I don´t know what motor TLC uses for this, and you can´t see anything as it is fully covered. The rear axle is the one which is "powered", the front axle (of course) is steerable.

The remote control:

pict0015.jpgpict0016.jpg

It´s a normal PF IR RC (power functions infra red remote control :wink:) At first glance I wondered about the strange position of the wheel (I´m used to have the steering wheel on top of the RC), but it works perfectly!

You´ll nee batteries for this set: 3x AA (receiving unit) and 3x AAA (RC)

pict0014.jpg

Now let´s head over to the building section.

Unusual, or not often to be seen parts:

pict0013.jpg

A random shot of the instructions:

pict0017.jpg

No piece callout??? How are we to finish it without? :cry_sad::wink:

This is what the base looks with all bricks on (except the wheels):

pict0018.jpg

This base is used for two (actually four!, but I will come to that later) different cars. Either a white/red or a green/black one.

Nice touch, that you get more than just one car! :thumbup:

I like how TLC made use of the lamps at the front:

pict0020.jpg

clever!

The truck without the base and the stickers:

pict0021.jpg

Completed:

pict0022.jpg

pict0023.jpg

All together - the truck, the racer, the RC and the spare parts:

pict0024.jpg

More details in my BS-folder.

When I looked at the cars, I thought "this reminds me of the Speed Racer sets".

Now here is a comparision:

pict0030.jpg

pict0031.jpg

pict0032.jpg

They work very well together!

With a little MOCing you will even be able to put a minifig inside. Unfortunately it only fits inside the truck:

pict0033.jpg

pict0034.jpg

And finally I placed the stickers on. :sceptic:

Okay, it does look better with stickers. :tongue:

The biggest surprise was, that the set gives instructions for two more cars! :cry_happy:

Of course you cannot build them all at once, but here are two very nice alternative models to the standard build:

pict0035.jpg

pict0036.jpg

pict0037.jpg

pict0038.jpg

EDIT: wrong photos fixed.

Overall rating:

Playability: 5/5. This set is fun on 8 wheels! Cruising through the house with a RC car – how cool is that? Other RC sets are much more expensive – this is the cheapest set momentarily available that has full RC functions. My sons are both very enthusiastic about this set.

Design: 4,5/5. 4 cars, 2 at one time buildable, that´s great! The huuuge sticker sheet makes 0,5 points off a perfect 5.

Build: 3/5. Basic build, nothing special, no extraordinary bricks. The new receiving unit is rather big, that limits its use for future MOCs.

Price: 4/5 Although 50€ is the cheapest way to get a Lego RC car, there are plenty ways to get RC cars cheaper besides Lego. 40€ was a winner and I would give it a 5/5.

Price/piece ratio: 2/5 239 pieces and 50€ makes 20c per brick. We have seen better ratios. And the receiving unit is the only thing you can´t get in any other set besides 8184 and 8183.

Minifig: 1/5. No minifigs included, but easily MOCable.

Overall: 4/5 and a recommendation. If you want a fun set, then go buy it! Or buy set 8183 for 34,99€ which comes with one car only.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Thanks for the review. This sets seems overpriced for the parts, but that huge motor piece thingy and the remote control make up for it. The alternative models are also good. :classic:

Now, I have a question...

What with all of those pictures of the red car? Did you put them here by mistake? :wacko:

Edited by ILikePi

Thanks for the review. This sets seems overpriced for the parts, but that huge motor piece thingy and the remote control make up for it. The alternative models are also good. :classic:

Now, I have a question...

What with all of those pictures of the red car? Did you put them here by mistake? :wacko:

Thank you for your reply. Concerning the price, I exactly thought the same.

Seems that I have messed something up in my BS-folder. :hmpf:

EDIT: wrong pics are fixed. You should see the alternative builds now.

What I really wanted to post was:

I´ve done my first RC-MOC with the big receiving unit - a red racer:

pict0039.jpg

pict0040.jpg

pict0041.jpg

pict0042.jpg

pict0043.jpg

Thanks for that informative review, Holodoc. :thumbup:

A very neat set and it´s for sure fun to drive that car around...

This new receiving unit with build in steering mechanism looks really interesting,

a nice and easy way to make some fine RC vehicles, like your pretty cool red racer already shows! :classic:

this mechanism is so simple and cool^^ I think I'm going to buy one, just for fun!