LBaixinho

MOC: Forte Branco

thindexedgif.gif 71b

fortebranco00.jpg

I made this fortress for the next event of my community, the 2nd Tomarlego. It will be part of a larger layout made with my friends of the Comunidade 0937.

fortebranco14.jpg

More pics at this BrickShelf folder and at this MOCPages page.

Edited by SlyOwl

A lovely fort. The slopes on the corners give it a really unique feel. One thing I'm not a big fan of is the thickness of the walls, but it still looks fine.

Great work!

I'm not a big fan of is the thickness of the walls, but it still looks fine.

But that is how they really look? It looks real to me.

Thats fantastic. I will be stealing from you! I agree with Super. It looks realistic for forts built to take cannon fire. It looks like the facade of the outer walls is just leaned back and sort of pinned in at the bottom with the tiles and at the top with the overhanging bricks then there are sloping bricks behind it. Is that correct?

I have a 42" monitor that really helps show the details!

It looks like the facade of the outer walls is just leaned back and sort of pinned in at the bottom with the tiles and at the top with the overhanging bricks then there are sloping bricks behind it. Is that correct?

I'll just be honest and say that the fort I have been working on for a long time is an original design that encorporates a lot of features from this fort. I am kinda mad because once Im done, it basically going to look a lot like this fort! :pir-hmpf_bad:

But I am also kinda of happy because some of his building techniques will make my fort look WAY better. In the end, they will be different forts, but I will owe LBaixinho a case of beer at least. Is he over 21?!

Well, I guess Im happy for the techniques, and sad he beat me to it.

I was planning to build something similar to this, but then in light and dark grey.

The fort is very simple, yet effective against enemies! This is the first star fort I see from LEGO, and it looks great.

The walls and the small building inside are very nicely done, especially the techniques to make an angled wall is nice.

Great creation and it is a good source of inspiration, I'm sure! :thumbup:

My only question is,

Wouldn't this whole fort design be easier if he used this:

3045.jpg

Or this:

3688.gif

???

-Super

The first one would make the angle to steep to look good. The second is sloped on 4 sides.

The technique used is definitly the nicest, and not so hard to make.

Wonderful! And historically acurate! I love this fort. It really looks good, especially with the thickness and slope of the walls. dispite our castle-like MOC's, this is more like what carribean forts looked like (no offence, Zcerberus). The new troops work well with it, too.

First of all, thank you for the comments.

I live near (2 km) of two fortress like this. Forte do Cão e Forte da Lagarteira.

forte_2.jpg

Forte%20da%20Lagarteira%20-%20Caminha%20-%20www.monumentos.pt[9].jpg

And 10 km from the "Forte da Ínsua"

Forte%20da%20Ínsua%20-%20Viana%20do%20Castelo%20-%20www.monumentos.pt%20-%201[10].jpg

They had been my starting point to this project.

The white color was chosen because of the others works on the display. Most of the LEGO Pirates buildings are white, so... :)

The inclined walls were made that way because that is more simple and cheaper than use only slopes 75º. And I like the brick 1x2 effect :)

Later I will post a ldraw file to show how I made the inclined walls. Is quite simple but will remain here to help who need it.

I really like the technique with the sloped walls. I also think the use of the wedge shaped brick for where the cannons go is brilliant, it looks very realistic and I like the lines it creates.

Great Work!

Awesome creation!!

What I noticed immediately was the red roof. great work there. I'm also puzzled about the sloping brickwall but I think I got it figured out. And the 1x2 effect is indeed very nice.

Oh yeah, about the thickness. I think it's pretty normal with seaside forts / walls. Intramuros (Walled City of the Philippines) has a few kilometres of these kind of walls.

that's a very cool fort, I love the angled walls and the red tiles^^ great job!

I uploaded a small ldraw file with the way I made the sloped walls. Link.

On the file they don't connected to well but with real brick they work fine.

When I click the link there appears a huge bunch of codes, perhaps an image from the Ldraw MOC would do a better job.

A screenshot would be fine too. :pir-classic:

When I click the link there appears a huge bunch of codes, perhaps an image from the Ldraw MOC would do a better job.

A screenshot would be fine too. :pir-classic:

Is a ldraw file. You have to save it and then open with MLCad.

But here is an image:

muroinclinado.jpg

Ahaa, you see I'm not so familiar with Ldraw, I use it now and then but that's it.

I really have to use those codes on the other pc soon, since this one has no Ldraw and I'm too lazy to install it here. :pir_laugh2:

It's a great technique you tried there, it seems to be it works well. I'm planning to make a fort like this, perhaps slightly larger but I will use your technique for the walls.

Thanks! :pir-blush:

Hi Baixinho,

It's a beautifull Fort. Very well built and also realistic :thumbup:

The inclined walls technique is very good.

This will look very good in our pirates display :pir-wink:

Very nice Fort fella

Only a couple of suggestions

1 - the size of the walls compared to the usable space inside the fort seem a little out of proportion - if you have the bricks maybe extend the straight sections of wall a little to make the inner square larger

or

2 - after seeing how you made your angled walls, it is evident that there is a lot of empty space within the walls, perhaps you could build some buildings into the cavaties in the walls to make the fort look bigger

an ingenius way of making angled walls - i like it

All the best

Matt

This is neat, i do like the tiled roof, that stands out. Good job! And Hornbricker, did you say you have a 42 inch monitor? Thats as big as my tv!

Thank you for the comments

(...)

1 - the size of the walls compared to the usable space inside the fort seem a little out of proportion - if you have the bricks maybe extend the straight sections of wall a little to make the inner square larger

My first versions was a bit like you said. The problem is the scale with the others objects at the display.

2 - after seeing how you made your angled walls, it is evident that there is a lot of empty space within the walls, perhaps you could build some buildings into the cavaties in the walls to make the fort look bigger

(...)

This is a cool idea. But to do this I have to diminish the thickness of the walls.. and I don't know if this works well.