Sign in to follow this  
LuxorV

EBCTC: In front of the Hotel

Here is my entry for the EBCTC, a scene that can be commonly sen in front of the main Hotel in Classic Town:

classictownstaffcontest_001.jpg

Main view

classictownstaffcontest_002.jpg

Details of the left side

classictownstaffcontest_003.jpg

Details of the right side

Gallery (when public)

It's been a long time since I last built something Classic Town oriented, and I found it very interesting and funny to have to come up with something for this contest.

The two cars are a 4-wide pick-up and a 6-wide luxury car; since the rules did not state otherwise, I put them both into the scene, to mark the difference in class and the little Texan-like (everything is bigger in Texas :wink: ) appearance of the rich dirver. Btw, both have functional doors :classic:

LuxorV

Awesome entry ^^ I especially love the yellow car!

LuxorV, this is a very beautiful, classic looking Travel Lodge Hotel, which reminded me of those motel which I had stayed near Disneyland, California. The building design is simply captiviating, with distinct red roof, classic window panel that exist in the 1970s, and surrounding white walls. The doors, which are available in the 1970s, is integrated part of the building, and it looks real nice with the minifigs beside it, except that, they can't walk through. :tongue:

The street scene is very nicely done too. I love the fountain at the right corner. It's simple to build, and appear to be very lovely. The traffic light design, is a hanging version, allow drivers to have a better overview instead of looking at the side. The yellow vintage car, sure looks antique enough to be part of rich men collection. :grin:

By the way, this has been featured in Classic-Town.net.

What a nice classic town scene, Luxor V! I really like the hotel design and the way you did the balconies :wink: The two cars are great too, even if the yellow one looks a bit too modern for me but at the same time it looks so good there... :sweet:

Good luck for the contest! :wink:

(everything is bigger in Texas :wink: )

thats what she said :tongue: anyway its all good, except the 6 wide car which IMO isnt very classic town-y

That's a very nice entry, LuxorV! :thumbup:

I really like it!

A hotel is a great ideaand imo even a must-be-included in a classic set if TLG releases another set similar to the awesome 10184 Town Plan or the great 7641 City Life! :thumbup:

Therefore I, too, included a hotel in my entry, too, which I hope I'll be aible to show soon.

The building looks very nice - imo only a bit too big and too much Creator-like.

But the yellow car looks awesome! :oh:

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

It's a great building, I like how its zig zags follow the curve in the road. And those old small doors work well for the balconies. The small car matches the classic town scene perfectly, only the - admittedly very beautiful - yellow car does not really fit in a layout that's supposed to be classic town, I think.

Very nice, especially how the hotel curls around the street corner. :thumbup: The yellow car jumps into view immediately, for several reasons. First, because I really like it, second, because it's the only yellow object, and third: it has quite some details that make it post-80ies in my opinion. There's the rounded hood, the rounded wings (fenders), the modern grill (well, modern, ahum) and spoked wheels, it's six wide and the spare wheel is mounted on a slope trunk. That's a bit too much for my eyes to place it in the eighties, although it fits in your scene very well otherwise. Very nice car, but another very nice car would fit even more nicely in the theme. :wink:

Too much red! I think larger windows would make it look better. I also don't like the red arches slapped into the white walls...

I like the details, like the fountain and stop signal...

Steve

Fisrt of all, sorry for not replying earlier :blush:

Thanks for all the comments. I'll now put down some answers to them in random order:

- the hotel bending along the curved road was one of my favourite designes when I built classic town styled buildings many years ago, and it came natural to me to include it into the entry :sweet:

- the yellow car is indeed built with some pieces which are way newer than any classic town ones, but the ddesign is inspired to cars from the 1930s (again, I was affected by my Indiana Jones passion). It looked like a nice addition to the scene, even if I knew it was a gamble as for the actual pieces usage :wink:

- the small windows were almost a forced choice: I had either to use those or to put in only 2-3 4x1x3 windows per store, given the geometry of the walls; the small doors of the second store are a direct consequence to keep a bit of ballance; btw, they remind me of the almost-too-small-but-so-very-vintage-looking balcony doors used for some hotel I've been to in Paris

- as always happens (at least to me :grin: ) the details came along as I built: the main building had to be either a Hotel or a Hospital (the only 2 signs I own which are on a white background), and I chose the first because I can't remember of ever building one before; the hanging traffic light is also something I never managed to include in my MOCs, even if the idea has been there at the back of my mind for quite some time now

- the red arches actually stand out a bit, and now that I think of it they could have been blended a bit better by adding a couple of 2x1 red bricks in the wall inder them, to reproduce the red & white pattern of the corners :blush:

That's all for now; I may post some other thoughts/explainations in response to future comments. Thanks for looking :classic:

LuxorV