2005 Scania R340 Topline in scale 1:25. The Power Functions elements take up the space for the sleeping cabin and engine, but apart from that, the details are as close as I could get them to the real truck.

Click the image for the video on Youtube.

2rear2.jpg

Open the door and step inside.

2door.jpg

2interior.jpg

The coupling works when the steering blocks. The red frame is a copy showing the details.

2couplingdown.jpg_thumb.jpg 2couplingup.jpg_thumb.jpg 4frame2.jpg_thumb.jpg 4frame3.jpg_thumb.jpg

Compare with the real thing. Now I just need an engraved "Scania" 1x4 brick.

4_2005scaniar5004x2topline.jpg_thumb.jpg 2low.jpg_thumb.jpg

The truck was displayed at LEGO World in Copenhagen earlier this year where I had a display that demonstrated the functions, including the ones in the trailer as seen in the video. Unfortunately it got damaged during transport (I drive like shit) and I couldn't make it work again. The truck has been changed since the event, incorporating some changes suggested by some people who drive it for a living. The trailer is being rebuilt as well.

2details.jpg

Also posted on MOCPages

Wow. Very impressed. The detail of the interior and the way you have the door open is exellent. You never ceese to amaze withyour creations Lasse D.

The interior detail in this is just fantastic. I like how you angled the panel with speedo on. You put the battery box in a suitable location so it doesn't bump out and disturb the rest of the MOC. You also copied the colours from the original pretty much exactly :thumbup: .

That is very, very nice. Now, I understand how sharing the motor for both the coupling and steering works, but I'm curious to how the differential favours - does it favour the steering, and only work the coupling when the front wheels reach their locking points, or does it happen that the coupling works when you intended to steer the truck?

That's also a fantastic and faithful looking interior. Can't say I've spent any time inside a Scania at all, but that looks like what I've seen in magazines and in adverts.

Thank you for the comments. Finally I made a decent cab-over design :grin:

> Freddie

As you can see in the video, steering is favored, but there is a trick to it. The small 8-cog next to the white friction wheel is mounted on a pin with friction 43093.1081399106.jpg.

This system has evolved from the first Coke truck prototype where I had the friction in the gear changer resulting in the truck jumping out of gears occasionally:

truck_mechanism_front.jpg

truck_mechanism_rear.jpg

The first prototype broke the pieces instead :cry_sad:

192_pftruck_dec07.jpg

Lasse, you need to quit being so awesome because it is making me feel inferior and depressed. :wacko: I recommend posting a topic that is a complete catastrophe. That should make the rest of us feel better.

Nice truck though. :grin:

Wonderfull work Lasse, but i have come to expect no less of you.

I love that the grill is grey and the trans black windows make this look cool as well. :thumbup:

I still envy your technic skills.

Do you plan to make a trailer for it as well?

You're really good. You know that don't you? :tongue: Stunning work. This would be a great model even if it was static. The cool thing is mechancially I can make this so I'll have to give it a go. Hopefully I'll learn something and be able to make something half as good as you.

Compare with the real thing. Now I just need an engraved "Scania" 1x4 brick.

I have used dry transfer lettering (available from all good stationery stores!) with great success on models I have made in the past. They adhere very well to LEGO bricks and give a much better finished product than stickers or labels.

Cheers

Rog

This is another fantastic model. You're probably my favorite MOC builder around here. These are the kinds of creations that inspire me to try and build similar things myself. :sweet:

That switching mechanism for the steering/coupling is pretty clever. I never thought of using the friction axle pins as a functional element. I often use stacked rubber belts to do that sort of thing, although those don't create nearly the same amount of friction.

Do the windshield glass panels stay in place firmly? I like how you're using the grill tiles to hold them there, but it seems like they would fall out unless something is blocking them from the sides as well.

Thanks for the comments. I'm building the trailer as we speak, but there's a long way again.

Lasse, you need to quit being so awesome because it is making me feel inferior and depressed. :wacko: I recommend posting a topic that is a complete catastrophe. That should make the rest of us feel better.

You should see my Octan truck then. That should make you feel better :tongue:

If it's any help, I envy your Technic collection, especially that you can have the models assembled and in a good condition.

Do you plan to make a trailer for it as well?

Yep. Hence "The trailer is being rebuilt as well".

You're really good. You know that don't you? :tongue: Stunning work. This would be a great model even if it was static. The cool thing is mechancially I can make this so I'll have to give it a go. Hopefully I'll learn something and be able to make something half as good as you.

I am planning on making building instructions for the frame, but I'm sure you can copy it without. It is a great foundation and you can always add blue pins if it gets too heavy.

I have used dry transfer lettering (available from all good stationery stores!) with great success on models I have made in the past. They adhere very well to LEGO bricks and give a much better finished product than stickers or labels.

Perhaps I should give this a try. For the SCANIA brick I have a friend who engraves bricks in this size.

That switching mechanism for the steering/coupling is pretty clever. I never thought of using the friction axle pins as a functional element. I often use stacked rubber belts to do that sort of thing, although those don't create nearly the same amount of friction.

I used rubber bands in the early prototype (the ones where gears got bend). They turned out to be useless for this because they slipping gradually. The blue pins only let go once a certain force is applied, which makes a great difference here.

Do the windshield glass panels stay in place firmly? I like how you're using the grill tiles to hold them there, but it seems like they would fall out unless something is blocking them from the sides as well.

There is a trick to this as well. I have a smoke 1x2x2 panel behind the windows which is barely visible. It makes the grilles grip firmly and the lower grills are places a bit further forward than the top ones in order to make them grip. This is why the grilles in the sides can stay there without studs at all.

... and this took me more than an hour to figure out :tongue:

You should see my Octan truck then. That should make you feel better :tongue:

If it's any help, I envy your Technic collection, especially that you can have the models assembled and in a good condition.

Hmm. I guess that helps a little. I'll make you a deal. You bring your truck over to my house. You can stare at my collection whilst I stare at your truck. Then we'll both be happy! By my calculations it is only about 5,000 miles if you take the convenient polar route. Better start walking.

Edited by Blakbird

Really a nice looking vehicle. I guess this is in essence what could be described as model team, beefed up with power functions.

I wonder what the cost of a set like this would be. Probably not that feasible :cry_sad:

Front

Excellent job fitting the Power Functions in there, and it looks absolutely stunning.

Some great building techniques to achieve a very recognizable look!

Update.

I had completed a new creation and had to move some stuff around in order to free up some space. The truck was placed on top of its trailer on top of the oven on top of the microwave on top of the fridge. The steering was turned, but I found it to be stable and went on to move some boxes.

Crash!

Parts were scattering around my feet as the Scania had fallen to the floor.

Here are the parts I was able to find. Some parts still missing.

5crash2.jpg

Rebuilding such a creation isn't easy.

5crash3.jpg

:cry_sad:

Stories like that make me nervous leaving my 20lb unfinished space cruiser on top of it's stands. :look:

That is harsh! :sad: We've all been there though!

Why is it so much harder to recreate a model than it was to build it in the first place? And why is it that no matter how many photos you took they are never quite the right views to recreate the tricky bits of the model?

Feel for you buddy! :classic:

Cheers

Rog

That sucks. :cry_sad: At least you have plenty of pictures of the model though.

The only thing I have dropped was this off a table several years ago, but it's fairly well built and hardly anything came off. I think only "pure" Technic models can be made strong enough to withstand falls like that though.

The only thing I have dropped was this off a table several years ago, but it's fairly well built and hardly anything came off. I think only "pure" Technic models can be made strong enough to withstand falls like that though.

Interesting. As you know, I've built that same MOC. What you may not know is that mine also fell from a great height. I had it sitting on top of a refrigerator box my kids were using a playhouse. One of them bumped the box pretty hard and it fell off onto the floor. The only damage was one broken #5 angle connector.

Nice. I guess a little extra strength can't hurt for a military vehicle. :grin:

Some of the official Technic sets from the late 90s are very well built and could probably take a drop as well. 8446 and 8462 are a few that come to mind.

Necrobumping my own thread. Oh dear!

But it is for a good reason. I have completed the instructions for the frame of the truck. They are available here

Frame.png

I have been fiddling around with MLCad and the mpd format these past weeks. I am developing a new meta language for mpd and a program which makes it easier to create building instructions (pdf, php and so on).

These instructions here show how far I have come. There is still a lot to do (such as creating the whole GUI), but you should be able to at least build the frame now :sweet:

The source will become a project on Sourceforge once it's mature enough.

Thanks Lasse. :thumbup:

Always good for us non-Tecnic-skilled members to have some instructions to work from.