Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

EBCTC: 1979

My entry for the Classic Town Contest, "1979":

I may modify this creation and share a few more pictures, but here's my first version.

1979e.jpg

It's great to be back among friends. :classic:

Comments welcome

Absolutely beautiful with some nice details!! However, you are using some newer bricks, is this allowed?

excellent^^ I love the sidewalk café , and all the details are just very cool!

Love it, blogged it! :thumbup:

However, you are using some newer bricks, is this allowed?

Absolutely! While the intent of the contest is to create a classically styled scene, it's important to remember that the classic town look spans all decades and like anything else in life, has to be adjusted to the modern day. It's about taking the best that LEGO has to offer and making it into the greatest home possible for your town citizens, much like the forum banner achieves the same goal.

Well done mate! A very strong entry :thumbup: And welcome back to Town building!!!

I really like the 80s "Euro-styled" version of the Market Street building and the scene with the window washer. The red phone booth is also a very nice touch!

I was however wondering why all of those road signs are facing the camera...?

Edited by TheOtters

:cry_happy: Looks wonderful! And even if you used some "modern" parts you really gave it a 79-80s classic style :thumbup:

Good luck for the contest! :wink:

However, you are using some newer bricks, is this allowed?

Very few actually. Maybe the food and the cups (because I didn't feel like getting the old blue ones out from the garage). The wheels of the construction vehicle, and the little red light pieces - that's really it. Oh, and I added the new torso for the window cleaner since his back was against the camera - a wanted a little detail here.

excellent^^ I love the sidewalk café , and all the details are just very cool!

Thanks Guss!

it's important to remember that the classic town look spans all decades and like anything else in life, has to be adjusted to the modern day.

Good point Shadows. Classic Town did span many years. I even included a few faces that had the classic smile, but one with a mustache, and the other with glasses. These are actually classic town as well, even older than most people think.

I really like the 80s "Euro-styled" version of the Market Street building and the scene with the window washer. The red phone booth is also a very nice touch!

I was however wondering why all of those road signs are facing the camera...?

Thanks Otters! If you look at some of the old boxart, like Main Street as an example, all the road signs face the camera. I actually turned them for the picture, just like the box.

And even if you used some "modern" parts you really gave it a 79-80s classic style :thumbup:

'78-'79: a few of my favorite years for Lego, as well as being a kid.

Thanks everyone for the feedback! This scene was particularly enjoyable to build, and I actually enjoy looking at it.

Ooops!

Please excuse my incompetence... My childhood sets are from the late 80s/ early90s, so I wasn't really aware of the 70s sets' styling, which this one truly recreates. What a wonderful throwback :)

As to the "modern" bricks - I really do believe that using them in a retro MOC is a wonderful challenge. That's why I was so happy to see that there was no limitation as to the bricks, colours and parts used in this contest.

Brickster, this is so beautiful. :wub:

Our first Staff Entry, for the contest has arrived. It warms my heart so much, until I can't take my eyes away from your stunning image. There are many classic elements, such as the use of the rare cypress tree, black looking gas lamp or lamp post, phone booth, and the construction crew team to repair the roads. I love both classic looking vehicles, that simply wow me over, with that red postal delivery van and the yellow cabby coming down the lane.

The sidewalk cafe, is lovely. Is it a german cafe, judging by the color scheme of the building, while the other building on the side has a very nice color combination with those blue windows grills. I am sure the window boy has to be careful hanging on to the ladder. Everything about this, is simply breathtaking. :cry_happy:

Well done! :thumbup:

Please excuse my incompetence... My childhood sets are from the late 80s/ early90s, so I wasn't really aware of the 70s sets' styling, which this one truly recreates. What a wonderful throwback :)

No problem. It was in fact a good question. I didn't realize it until I went to see what color I should make the digital backdrop based on the boxart.

The sidewalk cafe, is lovely. Is it a german cafe, judging by the color scheme of the building, while the other building on the side has a very nice color combination with those blue windows grills.

Thanks WF. I'm glad you like it. You have a Classic Town style about you that warrants a good opinion/perspective when it comes to judging classic town sets.

It is a German Cafe, in fact. I was going to make some custom stickers, but I didn't get around to it. Instead, I created the little Cafe sign using the 1x1 letter tiles. The vehicle is the Cafe's delivery truck, with the same colors. I had thought about making it a bakery or candy shop, opting for a small cafe instead.

EDIT:

Here's a few more detailed images:

01cafef.jpg

02housef.jpg

00window640.jpg

That's an awesome entry, TheBrickster! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

It looks really like a set from the 80ths! :oh:

There are stunning details you included: a telephone cell, a taxi, a skateboarder and two archtitectual very different houses.

The most I like the house with the half timbered work.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Btw: Does the farmer with the brush burgle the house or does he clean the windows? :grin: (Only joking. The window cleaner is a great idea! :thumbup: )

When I look at your great entry I get the impression that the entry I built (and will show after my PaB order hopefully will arrive before the end of the contest since I need these bricks for my entry) looks more like a set from the 90ths but not from the 70ths or 80ths. :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Very classic! Awesome stuff.

I especially dig that tudor house, it really has that classic feel to it.

Edited by Aliencat

That's a great entry. When you see the picture the first thing you think is that you're looking at a very old set, the buildings follow that style very closely. Maybe there are newer parts but not at first glance, which means that it works the way it should.

Lovely picture! It warps me way back to my teens, when I wished I could have a building like, well, in your scene. I realise I've got quite a bit of work to do yet to make those dreams of old come alive, especially if I want to make it as nice as the ones already posted. :sweet: