Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

Rediscover the bustling streets of Classic Town CONTEST

Although I've already created an entry that I am happy with (but have not yet posted the entry), I'd like to know if we are allowed to modify things on our entries up until the end date.

Often minor tweaks just come to mind, or other members have some great suggestions. So, can we update entries, or is the very first picture posted what goes?

Although I've already created an entry that I am happy with (but have not yet posted the entry), I'd like to know if we are allowed to modify things on our entries up until the end date.

Often minor tweaks just come to mind, or other members have some great suggestions. So, can we update entries, or is the very first picture posted what goes?

Yes, modification or minor tweaks is defintely allowed. Other members can give their own suggestions to help you improve your entry. I will take the first picture when the contest is drawing nearer to its closing date.

Your entry has been indexed at the first page. :wink:

Very interesting contest! Quite a challenge because I tend to make everything brown and pink with a touch of sand red, with some flesh minifigs and batman wings to round it off... I will try to build something more classic looking now! (It's good to say you're not that strict by the way... I wouldn't be happy running to the computer for every single part in order to look up if it existed before 1990!)

I don't really like the classic town look by the way... I always liked the buildings from before 1978 better, when they still had four walls and nice windows. But I'll see if I can make something classictownish!

I don't really like the classic town look by the way... I always liked the buildings from before 1978 better, when they still had four walls and nice windows. But I'll see if I can make something classictownish!

Over the years (esp as a kid), I build a lot of "Vintage Style" buildings due to many of the old 4-stud high doors and the old windows, as well as a lack of minifigs. I know what your saying. But if I had to build one or the other, I love the newer classic style, which took on a more playful style (with open backs, figs, etc.).

The open backs bothered me as a kid... Who wants to live in a house like that?

Great contest!

A question...

What You're Building

The plan is to create a typical Classic Town scene like those found in the classic sets of the 1970's and 1980's. This scene will include at least one building and a vehicle on a road baseplate, but don't stop there. Be creative and add all those little extras that make your town come alive like lamp posts, signs, street vendors, just about anything that adds action and excitement to your town.

The Rules

1. At least one road baseplate must be used since your creation should be something seen in the downtown area of your classic town. You may use a maximum of two road baseplates and two additional 16x32 or 8x32 baseplates, if necessary. In addition, when two road baseplates are in use, you are to ensure that both road baseplates are from the same time period (grey/grey, green/green). Never mix road baseplates of Classic Town and City together.

Rules update: 16/04/2009

With reference to the above point number 1:

The following additional 32x32 road baseplates is allow in the contest.

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 with 3 Driveways

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 with Driveway

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 Service Station

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 3 Lane with Race Track Checker Pattern

Are the straight and curved road baseplates in 6322 and 6321 permissible? The rules here don't specifically exclude them, but I thought I should at check to be sure. The plates I mentioned aren't period-accurate, but they're the only road plates I have, and I hope they're close enough...

Are the straight and curved road baseplates in 6322 and 6321 permissible? The rules here don't specifically exclude them, but I thought I should at check to be sure. The plates I mentioned aren't period-accurate, but they're the only road plates I have, and I hope they're close enough...

These traditional looking road baseplates are defintely allowed and was mentioned in the rules below.

At least one road baseplate must be used since your creation should be something seen in the downtown area of your classic town. You may use a maximum of two road baseplates and two additional 16x32 or 8x32 baseplates, if necessary. In addition, when two road baseplates are in use, you are to ensure that both road baseplates are from the same time period (grey/grey, green/green). Never mix road baseplates of Classic Town and City together.

I did mention the use of green. As long you don't mixed it up, I don't see a reason why these can't be used. Go ahead, and start building. :classic:

Another few questions:

Are we allowed to use the short legs produced since Yoda/ Harry Potter for kids as the new Town sets do?

Can we use newer hairpieces/ hats as well or should we stick to using the early 80s ones?

This is a great competition, by the way! I am coming to an end of my first phase of building - I received a lot of new and exciting sets this week but I have been too focussed on my BSCT contest entry to start building them!

Are we allowed to use the short legs produced since Yoda/ Harry Potter for kids as the new Town sets do?

To be honest, I never emphasis anything on the legs issue. Let's take eti's entry as an example. He removed the legs to represent the children, and that was the only significant change that is not related to any Classic Town. However, he has a very creative imagination by simply indicating the height difference between a normal minifig and a small minifig with this amendment. On the other hand, he is able to give us a very Classic Town feel and that's is something which I will love to see from our participants. My answer to your question is, go ahead and use it.

Can we use newer hairpieces/ hats as well or should we stick to using the early 80s ones?

Try not to use all newer hairpieces for all of your minifigs. It's best to use a few or some variety in between.

This is a great competition, by the way! I am coming to an end of my first phase of building - I received a lot of new and exciting sets this week but I have been too focussed on my BSCT contest entry to start building them!

Glad to know that you are at the end of your first phase. :classic:

Try not to use all newer hairpieces for all of your minifigs. It's best to use a few or some variety in between.

That is what I was intending - I only wanted to use a few as I have a very limited supply of the old-style female hair with the side plaits. Thanks!

I'm really enjoying the entries so far. This is a great contest White Fang. Thanks for coordinating.

No problem! I am glad that you guys enjoyed the entries so far.

I will like to see more and more of such entries, waiting to be seen to be participate in this contest. How about the rest of you? Any updates so far? I am looking forward to all of the interested pariticipants' entries. There is still time, and get your bricks to build up one great simple classic entry. :wink:

I wish I had seen this contest before, I already know what I'd be building. But I'm missing the basic torsos and there is no way I'll receive them before May 13th :(

I wish I had seen this contest before, I already know what I'd be building. But I'm missing the basic torsos and there is no way I'll receive them before May 13th :(

You can use other torsos that are similar to Classic Town or close to Classic Town. :classic:

Unfortunately I don't collect Town/City sets except for some odd models I find interesting. So I have a very limited range of torsos and all of them are very modern. Neverthless, this contest has inspired me to build a MOC so I'm glad it made it on the frontpage. I'm wishing luck to all contestents and thanks for the challenges you create for us :D

Unfortunately I don't collect Town/City sets except for some odd models I find interesting. So I have a very limited range of torsos and all of them are very modern. Neverthless, this contest has inspired me to build a MOC so I'm glad it made it on the frontpage. I'm wishing luck to all contestents and thanks for the challenges you create for us :D

Well, I am looking forward to your participation. I sure hope you are able to come up with something, otherwise do share with us for your next moc project that was inspired by this contest. :wink:

WhiteFang, my entry has been called into question in terms of following the rules - see the last few posts in my entry thread.

As you are the highest authority in the land :laugh:, let us know what you think, it may help other entrants who have yet to finalise their submissions.

I totally have to agree with TheBrickster: This is a great contest and the entries so far are really great, too! :thumbup:

My entry is nearly ready. I glady recived the last parts yesterday. So I'll finish my entry and take some pics of it this weekend and hope to show it here the coming week. :wink:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Dear all,

Rules update: 30/04/2009

With reference to the above point number 4:

The following additional Non-Classic Town torsos is allow in the contest, with these conditions attached below.

You are allow to use related minifigs' torsos that are not Classic Town nature but similar to Classic Town. You are allowed to use up to 5 non-related Town Minifigs out of 20. The ratio between both, Classic Town must always hold the higher ratio. These minifigs' torso can be used, but it can be a little disadvantage since they are not primarily Classic Town. Ultimately it's up to our community to decide the winner.

WhiteFang

As you are the highest authority in the land :laugh:, let us know what you think, it may help other entrants who have yet to finalise their submissions.

I had replied.

I totally have to agree with TheBrickster: This is a great contest and the entries so far are really great, too! :thumbup:

My entry is nearly ready. I glady recived the last parts yesterday. So I'll finish my entry and take some pics of it this weekend and hope to show it here the coming week. :wink:

K.D, nice! I am glad that you manage to take your time off to start building an entry during your semester. Can't wait to see what ideas you have in mind. In fact, I am sure you have many wonderful ideas inside your head. :classic:

I've started on my entry, but I've struck a potentially big problem for me - I've only got 4 classic smiley faces. :cry_sad:

However, I've got plenty enough of these moustache heads and sunglasses heads. My question is, can I make a Classic 'stache Town or a very sunny Classic Town, provided I still use only one head type, and that head type still has the underlying Classic-smile underneath? Otherwise I can't quite think how I could make a entry into a Bustling Streets of Classic Town contest with only 4 Minifigs. :sceptic:

My question is, can I make a Classic 'stache Town or a very sunny Classic Town, provided I still use only one head type, and that head type still has the underlying Classic-smile underneath? Otherwise I can't quite think how I could make a entry into a Bustling Streets of Classic Town contest with only 4 Minifigs. :sceptic:

You are creating a Classic Town scene, with minimum use of one road baseplate of any kinds, and supporting baseplates to extend the pavement for your building construction, if required. You can demostrate your building skills that represent Classic Town to you closely.

As for the use of the minifigs' heads, one of the main reasons which required the use of traditional minifigs' smiley is to advocate and remember their classic smile that must be used in this contest. Well, the use of these suggested heads can be included, after giving it some thoughts. I will insert a new rule update to allow some flexibility to facilitate the builders' constrain.

Rules update: 01/05/2009

With reference to the above point number 4:

The following additional Classic Town minifigs' heads are allow in the contest, with these conditions attached below.

You are allow to use related minifigs' head that exist in 1990s Town set which also include the use of Paradisa's. You are allowed to use up to 5 non-related Town Minifigs out of 20. The ratio between both, Classic Town must always hold the higher ratio. If you are unsure of what fall under the category, kindly inform me in this thread. I will update the list as it goes. Thanks.

Moustache heads

Sunglasses heads

One more week to go, before voting begins.

Come on, and start building your own Classic Town entry for this contest. :classic:

gallery_2351_21_42726.jpg

Ooh, very nice prizes, I have to enter now! (I've already made my entry anyway though, I just need photos)

The strange thing is that the 2nd prize appeals to me more because it's a set I can't get in NZ and don't have yet. :sceptic::classic:

There is a very slight update on the rules on Classic Town torsos and heads used. The ratio has increased from 5 to 10 against 20. Thanks.

Ooh, very nice prizes, I have to enter now! (I've already made my entry anyway though, I just need photos)

The strange thing is that the 2nd prize appeals to me more because it's a set I can't get in NZ and don't have yet. :sceptic::classic:

I thought this set was available at Shop@Home? It was not available over in my country though.

Looking forward to your entry. :classic:

I thought this set was available at Shop@Home? It was not available over in my country though.

Only in the US. So for non-US residents it is probably more appealing for that reason :classic:

However since you don't even *have* S@H in Singapore, I don't think anyone would expect you to know about set availability in other countries!

They're all great sets and very true to the spirit of the competition. I can't wait to see more entries! Come on, people! Break out those classic smileys and start building!