Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

Rediscover the bustling streets of Classic Town CONTEST

2contestmain.jpg

Re-discover the bustling streets of Classic Town

Hey everyone, this is a chance for all Eurobricks members and Classic Town lovers to build their very own Classic Town scene!

What You're Building

The plan is to create a typical Classic Town scene like those found in the classic sets of the 1970's and 1980's. This scene will include at least one building and a vehicle on a road baseplate, but don't stop there. Be creative and add all those little extras that make your town come alive like lamp posts, signs, street vendors, just about anything that adds action and excitement to your town.

Classic Examples

1620.jpg377.jpg379.jpg

1592.jpg6390.jpg

The Rules

1. At least one road baseplate must be used since your creation should be something seen in the downtown area of your classic town. You may use a maximum of two road baseplates and two additional 16x32 or 8x32 baseplates, if necessary. In addition, when two road baseplates are in use, you are to ensure that both road baseplates are from the same time period (grey/grey, green/green). Never mix road baseplates of Classic Town and City together.
  2. Your creation must include one building of the kind that you would see in your classic town. Examples include: Apartments, Businesses, Government Offices, Public Services, Entertainment/Dining or anything else you would like to see in your downtown area.
  3. You must include one vehicle with doors. This can be 4 or 6 wide, but should be appropriate to the setting.
  4. You may use up to 20 minifigs. Those minifigs should be classic style, meaning they use the traditional smile head and classic torsos. If you do not have the appropriate torso, you may use a custom printed one, as long as it's one of the old designs. Take a look at this gallery for some inspirations.
  5. No clone brands, no custom parts except for the previously mentioned torso print.
  6. One entry per person. Entries are to be posted separately. Title should begin with EBCTC: (Entry) and should include no more than 3 images that are 640x480 or smaller. The first image you post will be used to represent you in the voting, so choose wisely. Digital backgrounds are allowed.
  7. The contest begins today and will end on 13th May 2009 at 1200hrs (GMT+8) 20th May 2009 at 1200hrs (GMT+8). At that time the Eurobricks community will vote to determine the winner. In the case of a tie, the Eurobricks staff will make the final decision.
  8. Any violation of the rules will be subject to disqualification.

Eurobricks Staff Category

1. All of the above rules are to be followed.
  2. For each staff entry, you must include your individual sigfig to represent in your Classic Town entry.

Rules update: 16/04/2009

With reference to the above point number 1:

The following additional 32x32 road baseplates is allow in the contest.

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 with 3 Driveways

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 with Driveway

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 Service Station

Baseplate, Road 32 x 32 3 Lane with Race Track Checker Pattern

Rules update: 30/04/2009

With reference to the above point number 4:

The following additional Non-Classic Town torsos is allow in the contest, with these conditions attached below.

You are allow to use related minifigs' torsos that are not Classic Town nature but similar to Classic Town. You are allowed to use up to 10 non-related Town Minifigs out of 20. The ratio between both, Classic Town must always hold the higher ratio. These minifigs' torso can be used, but it can be a little disadvantage since they are not primarily Classic Town. Ultimately it's up to our community to decide the winner.

Edit: Amount increase to 10.

Rules update: 01/05/2009

With reference to the above point number 4:

The following additional Classic Town minifigs' heads are allow in the contest, with these conditions attached below.

You are allow to use related minifigs' head that exist in 1990s Town set which also include the use of Paradisa's. You are allowed to use up to 10 non-related Town Minifigs out of 20. The ratio between both, Classic Town must always hold the higher ratio. If you are unsure of what fall under the category, kindly inform me in this thread. I will update the list as it goes. Thanks.

Edit: Amount increase to 10.

Moustache heads

Sunglasses heads

Edit: EBCTC Entries can be found here!

The Prize

At the end of the voting, the winner with the highest amount of votes will receive a mystery CITY LEGO set. This is not applicable for Staff, but magic may just happened. :wink:

And now, the prize pool has been confirmed!

gallery_2351_21_42726.jpg

Winners are to drop me a pm with their mailing address when the results are announced at the end of the contest.

Please use this thread for any further discussions or questions pertaining to this contest.

Have fun!

Edited by WhiteFang
Contest deadline extended

Eurobricks Staff Category
  1. All of the above rules are to be followed.
  2. For each staff entry, you must include your individual sigfig to represent in your Classic Town entry.

Rules? For the staff??? *huh* This is CRAZY! :wacko: (not that again...) :sceptic:

Count me in! :thumbup:

That's a great contest Whitefang! Thanks for hosting something like this.

It's definitely a challenge to build a street scene without the look LEGO has brought up the last few years. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. I will make something, so now it's time to go back thirty years in my mind. Oh, wait. I wasn't even born then.

Rules? For the staff??? *huh* This is CRAZY! :wacko: (not that again...) :sceptic:

Count me in! :thumbup:

Start gathering your bricks and crazy thoughts. Can't wait to see what you guys can come out with. :tongue:

Do the buildings and cars have to be classic style?

Yes, we provided some past examples, that was done by LEGO itself, hoping to spark some inspiration. As much as possible, it has to be classic looking. :classic:

That's a great contest Whitefang! Thanks for hosting something like this.

It's definitely a challenge to build a street scene without the look LEGO has brought up the last few years. I'm looking forward to seeing all the entries. I will make something, so now it's time to go back thirty years in my mind. Oh, wait. I wasn't even born then.

No problem, Matn. :classic:

I am hoping you can take up this challenge and build an entry for us to admire. I am sure you can come out something creative and classic.

This sounds really neat WhiteFang, if I can find the time I'll try and get an entry built. :classic: It'll be interesting trying to replicat that "classic" feel.

That's a great idea for a contest, WhiteFang! :thumbup:

Regrettable I have still yet only very few days until my semester will begin. :sad:

But I look what I'll we aible to do since - if possible - I of course don't want to miss this great contest! :classic:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Yay, about two years ago I got a box filled with classic stuff and had no use for it. Those baseplates looks heaps cool. Hehe I've already got four plans in me head.

Few questions in there a veichle limit? And what is the finishing date?

This sounds really neat WhiteFang, if I can find the time I'll try and get an entry built. :classic: It'll be interesting trying to replicat that "classic" feel.

Draggy, it will be very nice to see you building something unconventional and uncommon in your mocs. Perhaps, there could be a classic looking dragon roaming around the streets. Bring in your creative cap. :tongue:

That's a great idea for a contest, WhiteFang! :thumbup:

Regrettable I have still yet only very few days until my semester will begin. :sad:

But I look what I'll we aible to do since - if possible - I of course don't want to miss this great contest! :classic:

K.D, this is one contest, which I urge your participation in it, as you are one of the avid Town fan in EB, and we will love to see your building entires. Unfortuntately, no LDD entries is allowed. Hopefully, you are able to come out with something nice.

Few questions in there a veichle limit? And what is the finishing date?

At least one vehicle is required, and explaination about the vehicle can be found in point number 3. I never state a limit for it, but use your judgement, as you couldn't want the entire baseplate to be filled with vehicles.

With regards to the finishing date, please refer to point number 7.

Hm... A contest where you have to build something that looks as simple as the old town sets, but looks good enough to win a contest? Sounds challenging! :thumbup: If I find the time, I'll enter. :classic:

With regards to the finishing date, please refer to point number 7.

Oh sorry since today was the 13th, I though it was starting date.

[*]Your creation must include one building of the kind that you would see in your classic town. Examples include: Apartments, Businesses, Government Offices, Public Services, Entertainment/Dining or anything else you would like to see in your downtown area.

[*]You must include one vehicle with doors. This can be 4 or 6 wide, but should be appropriate to the setting.

This sounds like a great contest. I'll definately be entering, /i've got plenty of ideas swimming about. Where it says one vehicle and one building, does that mean it must include at least one, or only one?

Thanks,

Laurie

Hm... A contest where you have to build something that looks as simple as the old town sets, but looks good enough to win a contest? Sounds challenging! :thumbup: If I find the time, I'll enter. :classic:

It can't be that hard, compared to Star Wars contest. :tongue:

Most importantly, build anything that represent or give a feel of Classic Town.

Oh sorry since today was the 13th, I though it was starting date.

No problem. Contest will ends at 13th May 2009, 1200hrs (GMT+8)

This sounds like a great contest. I'll definately be entering, /i've got plenty of ideas swimming about. Where it says one vehicle and one building, does that mean it must include at least one, or only one?

You got it! Apart from that, some small little stuff such as public telephone, traffic light and etc can be added as well. :classic:

This is GREAT WhiteFang! Woooohooooooo! We thought we were going to give MOCcing a break until after the exams (~2+ months), but I guess we'll try to take part in this one!

I have a few questions however:

1. Does "Classic Town" imply that ONLY classic town buildings can be accepted without modular structures of any kind?

2. How do you define a "classic" car which is appropriate - 6-wide for trucks/buses, 4-wide for regular cars? As long as the setting is kept as the ones which were seen on the old LEGO sets, 5- or 6-wide cars would be out of the question, right?

3. Can a contestant's entry include previously done/published MOCs and to what extent? For example, would it be fine if a building which was previously done was included or would it be better if the content of "previous" MOCs was limited to cars and minor scenes only?

4. What is of greater importance here - sticking close to the "classic" theme (building very simple cars and buildings) or rather using that the 70s/80s as a foundation on which to build an elaborate MOC?

In 1989 minifures were given beards and facial expressions. You've stated 70's and 80's, does that me we are able to use a few of the simplier ones? If you need me to prove it I'll get a scan of where I'm getting this from.

1. Does "Classic Town" imply that ONLY classic town buildings can be accepted without modular structures of any kind?

I am glad to see both of you getting so excited. :thumbup:

Yes, you are absolutely correct. Buildings should be open-backed, similar to the upcoming City Corner shops.

2. How do you define a "classic" car which is appropriate - 6-wide for trucks/buses, 4-wide for regular cars? As long as the setting is kept as the ones which were seen on the old LEGO sets, 5- or 6-wide cars would be out of the question, right?

As long vehicles of any nature are kept within 4 wide or 6 wide, it's acceptable. Doors is a "must" for all vehicles types. Your understanding above is correct.

3. Can a contestant's entry include previously done/published MOCs and to what extent? For example, would it be fine if a building which was previously done was included or would it be better if the content of "previous" MOCs was limited to cars and minor scenes only?

It's strongly discouraged for the builders to reuse its past mocs and use it for this contest, as it will be unfair to the other builders. It will be better, if there is a significant improvement on its current design or a new design concept. Official LEGO sets which was previously done are allowed to be use for inspiration, and is not supposed to be copied 100%, but creating your own classic style of building, to demostrate the orignal feel. Of course, if you are able to re-create the Chomel Factory in another new way, feel free to do so. :classic:

4. What is of greater importance here - sticking close to the "classic" theme (building very simple cars and buildings) or rather using that the 70s/80s as a foundation on which to build an elaborate MOC?

Well, both factors to me, is important. It's really up to the builder on how they wish to deliver the emphasis of Classic Town scenes. Look at the title of this contest for hints. As long, the entry fufill the rules above, which will be screened eventually, the entries is ultimately decided by our EB community through voting.

In 1989 minifures were given beards and facial expressions. You've stated 70's and 80's, does that me we are able to use a few of the simplier ones? If you need me to prove it I'll get a scan of where I'm getting this from.

I am aware of that, but in this contest, the emphasis is placed on the use of the traditional classic looking smiley instead, to be used for all minifigs.

Thanks for your answers, WhiteFang :) Very much appreciated - just like the whole idea for the contest! Even if we don't manage to come up with anything on time (or at least anything we think is good enough for a competition), it will be tons of fun seeing all the entries!

I am aware of that, but in this contest, the emphasis is placed on the use of the traditional classic looking smiley instead, to be used for all minifigs.

Just to be clear - that does include women as well, right - no Paradisa girls' faces (they first came out in the 90s, so I guess that's self-explanatory, but I just had to ask...)

Thanks for your answers, WhiteFang :) Very much appreciated - just like the whole idea for the contest! Even if we don't manage to come up with anything on time (or at least anything we think is good enough for a competition), it will be tons of fun seeing all the entries!

No entries is good enough as I strongly believe every entry takes an amount of time and hardwork to achieve it. I am looking forward to yours. :classic:

Just to be clear - that does include women as well, right - no Paradisa girls' faces (they first came out in the 90s, so I guess that's self-explanatory, but I just had to ask...)

Initally, I was thinking of allowing other themes to come in, but to simplify things, we allow only the use of traditional smiley face to represent the love of Classic Town minifigs.

Initally, I was thinking of allowing other themes to come in, but to simplify things, we allow only the use of traditional smiley face to represent the love of Classic Town minifigs.

Fair enough, well you've answered all my questions, so I'm all ready to start. I might just buy a small amout of stuff and I'll get building.

Is it possible that we may use the computer to make decals? Like, the Chocomel logo, but editted with the computer. My current printer is unusable and I'm not a decal guy. But with the computer is seems possible, but may I?

Thanks.

Wow, this looks great! :cry_happy: Unofrtunately I'm in the middle of a big MOC display in this moment and don't have many bricks to use but I'll try to do a little thing if i can :wink:

Fair enough, well you've answered all my questions, so I'm all ready to start. I might just buy a small amout of stuff and I'll get building.

That's good! One month for you to plan, build, take pictures and show. :classic:

Is it possible that we may use the computer to make decals? Like, the Chocomel logo, but editted with the computer. My current printer is unusable and I'm not a decal guy. But with the computer is seems possible, but may I?

Thanks.

Yes, it's possible. Are you intending to make a decal for its logo and print it out eventually?

Wow, this looks great! :cry_happy: Unofrtunately I'm in the middle of a big MOC display in this moment and don't have many bricks to use but I'll try to do a little thing if i can :wink:

I am sure you are able to spare some of the bricks from some of your modular creations. :wink:

Well, I mean, not printing it out. But just add it on the photo with the computer. So the decal isn't there in real life. I fully understand this would be against the rules.

Do "Classic Torsos" include the non-printed plain torsos of the same era?

Well, I mean, not printing it out. But just add it on the photo with the computer. So the decal isn't there in real life. I fully understand this would be against the rules.

Let me think through, and I will get back to you.

Do "Classic Torsos" include the non-printed plain torsos of the same era?

Yes, it can be included too.