ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

finally filled my last 2 holiday free boxes last night. One I completely filled with 1x4 brown tiles (for my train tracks, wanna cover all the grey railroad ties with brown. Now just gotta get a ton of 1x2 brown tiles to finish the job...). The other I got a 1x2x5 white bricks, some http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6087 (bracket, 5x2x2 1/3), and topped off with trans-clear cheese.

That paper is supposed to be put inside the cup, under the lid, but they tape it over when the cup is too full :D

It contains some mandatory info like the 0-3 year warning about small parts, the CE label, name & address of the distributor/producer (Lego), etc. All the info that you also find written on the Lego sets boxes. I think that for any product sold in EU they have to include such info. Kind of useless, it is just legal stuff.

I do not know if that kind of info is mandatory in US though.

I'm in the US, and I have not had that put on my cups. Last one I packed was a year ago. I know there are warnings inside instructions whenever there are shooting cannons and flick-fire missiles, a little graphic indicating not shoot objects into a person's eye. I don't really read the fine print on the set boxes; there's definitely an age range printed on every box though, and I think that's a law requiring that (in addition to part count).

I filled four holiday boxes last week. I got mostly tan and bley bricks, plates, and slopes. The selection of parts wasn't bad, but not thrilling, either. Wall panels and 2x4 tiles would have been nice to find, but I can't complain- it was free!

Next week I'm visiting a LEGO store for the first time and I need some parts for a minifigure display but I have some questions...

What do I do when I need a LEGO element that is out of reach. (too high) Do I ask an employee or is there a mobile step-up?

I got plenty of these, 1x2 green bricks and 2x4 green plates at the LEGO shop in Woodbridge a number of years ago. I haven't been there recently, but I'm sure you'll find some of what you need.

@ Cammo

The buckets they have up high are just for show; there aren't any bricks in them. The buckets that actually have bricks should be easily reached by people of normal stature.

I've recently discovered that there is a Lego store 5 minutes from where I work which is proving to be dangerous :)

I've gone there twice now for the pick-a-brick. The selection at this store isn't too big, maybe 20 different bricks available? According to an employee they are random pieces and when they run low on one type they let "them" know and "they" order more bricks of random type.

Now about your question, I don't live in DC, but 32x32 plates have never been on pick-a-brick walls before. you must buy them separately. They are too big. trust me, you'll be able to get them much cheaper on Bricklink than at a lego store.

I beg to differ, I just bought 6 32x32 baseplates (3 green and 3 blue) for $5 each. I thought this was a great deal especially since I can get them in one order, and also don't have to pay shipping. Now roads on the otherhand might be a different story that I can't comment on as my store didn't have any.

PS: And FYI this is the Lego store in Bellevue, WA

Edited by BlueCaret

Next week I'm visiting a LEGO store for the first time and I need some parts for a minifigure display but I have some questions...

What do I do when I need a LEGO element that is out of reach. (too high) Do I ask an employee or is there a mobile step-up?

Unless you are really short it should be a non issue. The upper tiers in the Pick a Brick walls are dummies. The actual filled containers stop at about head height for an adult.

I was less than impressed with the PAB selection in Michigan today. Seems like more and more basic bricks on the wall. :angry:

Yes the Wall in Tigard Or has also been fairly static for the last little bit, in talking an employee (IE no idea how reliable the info is) he said they typically dont restock the PaB walls with anything super new until the weeks and months after the Holiday brick boxs as that tends to wipe the walls out. No idea how true this is but hoping to see more plants and really hoping to get some of those latticed windows at some point...

Edited by fenrisakashi

Hoping they get something interesting before May 4th. I'm planning to make my annual trek to Troy for Star Wars promotions and if their PaB wall is bland, I'll leave my cups in the car.

Yes the Wall in Tigard Or has also been fairly static for the last little bit, in talking an employee (IE no idea how reliable the info is) he said they typically dont restock the PaB walls with anything super new until the weeks and months after the Holiday brick boxs as that tends to wipe the walls out. No idea how true this is but hoping to see more plants and really hoping to get some of those latticed windows at some point...

The staff at Shaumburg Lego store have offered to order parts for me to buy off the PAB wall. I've never actually taken advantage of it, nad it might be a local decision, but...you never know, give them a call and try.

Interesting indeed, I have to say I prefer the large cups if i am in hurry and don't have time to stack perfectly. Also seems to matter what the size of part your are after is.

I always use small cups because my store lets your stack until the lid barely touches the top of the cup then they tape it up because it's threatening to cascade off any second. If there are large pieces that don't fit in the small cup generally my store lets you put them on the side and estimate their depth in the cup, honestly the employees are so nice you can have 2 to 4 16byX plates that dont fit in the cup on the side, not that they have those regularly however.

And for the person asking about height. I can't reach into the top most bin that has pickable bricks in it. I always ask a store employee to grab a cup of whatever I'm after for me.

I only wish that lego would send boxes of the special bricks they use for the kids play areas (think the chima/friends/starwars bricks) to put on the brick wall too. Its lovely to play with them in the shop but I've always wondered why they dont supply the shops with ones to sell too.

The PAB wall in the Big Shop at Legoland Windsor looks like it has gone. Made the first trip of the year yesterday and the shop has had it's usual move. The PAB area used to be at the far end of the store near the creator sets, but it was gone. We looked around but found no evidence of it having moved nor was it in any of the other stores. Whilst the selection wasnt great if you needed lots of 2x2 bricks in light blue white or red it was great!

My one trip a year to the local KC LEGO store happened a few weeks ago. We aren't near any and we don't travel enough to make it there. The selection wasn't ideal, especially since the manager ordered pieces a few weeks prior and said they would be there that week (pieces I actually wanted), but they weren't available yet, so I had to make do with what they had since we don't get there too often.

My cup is as follows:

19 1x2 yellow jumper tiles

17 light bley joystick/antennae

9 2x4 light bley brick

3 2x6 light bley brick

8 1x2 tan slope

9 2x6 tan plate

10 2x2 tan brick

2 2x4 red-brown brick

8 1x8 blue tile

21 2x2 red tile

17 2x2 yellow tile

9 1x2 white modified panel brick

15 1x4 red-brown tile

10 red jewel

6 black rubber wheel

130 1x1 trans red tile

9 1x2 light bley plate with 2 fingers

11 1x2 light bley plate with 1 finger

6 1x1 orange brick

33 1x1 dark bley brick

14 1x2 trans clear brick

10 1x2 trans black brick

32 1x4 light bley brick

46 1x1 trans red round brick

58 1x1 trans green round brick

100 1x2 trans clear plate

149 1x1 trans clear plate

34 1x1 three leaf plant

531 1x1 trans clear round plate

Total piece count : 1,326

Average price per piece: $0.0113

Overall, price is spot-on. A lot of these wouldn't be as cheap on bricklink, so it works out. I stacked and packed as much as I could, but a lot of it was thrown in to fill gaps. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't have purchased a lot of these pieces, but I figured maybe I could use some of them in something. Then the trans clear pieces aren't too plentiful in my collection, so I'm glad I picked them up.

Whenever I'm in a city with a PAB, my plan is to stop by and do a cup since we rarely make it to a store.

Has the Oregon Lego store changed the selection? I have some family in the general area id like to send over to get me some cups (i live in Nevada) but Id kinda need to tell them what to get me. Also... do members here who live near the stores ever help others get them? Would it be cost effective to have someone get say.... 4 or 5 cups and then mail them out? I visit family in Oregon a couple times a year... my my addiction calls for pieces calls for more!

Milwaukee Wisconsin: My first trip yesterday, and the staff was very helpfull and got pieces out of the back for my freind.

Cup a

110 Trans red tile 1x1

212 Trans Dark Blue round plate 1x1

14 blue Bricks 2x4

1 dark tan tile 2x2

53 green brick 2x4

1 green brick 2x3

4 red brick 2x4

6 red brick 1x6

12 red plate 1x4

2 red plate 4x4

2 red slope 45 2x1

39 white brick 1x3

8 white brick 2x4

pab42713a.jpg

Cup B

203 Trans red tile 1x1

169 Trans Dark Bluw Round plate 1x1

92 green brick 1x4

69 green brick 2x3

4 green brick 2x4

pab42713b.jpg

This was a good selection for a newer store, better than some established stores I've seen.

I was in Munich yesterday and visited both the Riem and Pasing's LEGO stores.

8690520556_5b65153d5a_c.jpg

There were some goodies in both stores. For one, I was surprised to see the bright green leaves 6x5. On the other hand, I stocked on tan and white bricks in Pasing. Specifically in Pasing, I was a bit tight on time, so the packing was not as perfect as it could be, nevertheless, in total I still got many useful bricks for less than on BL.

8690509192_5f80e58f12_c.jpg

8690515516_d7a1099218_c.jpg

Mind you, I'm not a German, but Munich is the closest city with LEGO stores. However, I agree with you partly. Apart from what I got in the cups, there was not much more useful bricks left. And this was from two different stores.

You Germans have such an amazing PAB selection!

You Germans have such an amazing PAB selection!

Well, not all German stores. I went to the Oberhausen store 3 times and I've never seen anything special. Most of the time just normal bricks and plates :sceptic: