ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

thats amazing, so much trans blue and lime green :thumbup:

And trans clear, look at the right side. Base plate was not included.

When I first saw your picture, I thought that the pieces were on a trans-light blue baseplate/trans-clear baseplate. :tongue:

Great stuff you got there. :classic:

Edited by ILikePi

When I first saw your picture, I thought that the pieces were on a trans-light blue baseplate. :tongue:

Great stuff you got there. :classic:

Thanks! I wish there were trans blue bases, that would great for water. I got so many for two reasons. One for thrusters, and two for a secret third kind moc I have planned.

P.S. Its gonna be really cool!

All this reading about the PAB cups is getting me so exited :laugh: I cant wait to go down there!. I think i may cancle my trip on the 20th (second day open) but when will be the soonest that i will be much less crowded i could spend all day packing cups! :blush:

While the tubs are long gone, some LEGO stores have a cardboard box that you can fill for $150. Unfortunately the cardboard boxes are only ever so slightly larger than the old PAB bins, so as well as not getting a useful green tub, you really have to pack it to make it worth while. I've not purchased one and probably won't bother, but I know a couple of guys who have, and they seem satisfied with what they got. Also, since it's a cardboard box with strait sides, you can really pack it tight.

Last year at Brickworld I bought one of the cardboard boxes for $120. It was totally worth it. :-) At $150 it might be a bit steep, but I guess it depends on what is in the PAB wall at the particular moment you buy it. I always carry the iPhone with so I can check Bricklink prices on the fly to see if I'm getting a decent deal.

At the PAB wall in Mall of America, the staff are very good about stopping by to help you pack you PAB cup to ensure you get the most LEGO for your dollar. :classic:

-Dave

I envy you guys...

Don't bother to visit Legoland Billund!

They use plastic bags and they charge you (ARE YOU SEATED?) - they charge you 59 Dkr per 100 grams!!! :cry_sad:

59 Dkr equals 10 USD!!!

All this reading about the PAB cups is getting me so exited :laugh: I cant wait to go down there!. I think i may cancle my trip on the 20th (second day open) but when will be the soonest that i will be much less crowded i could spend all day packing cups! :blush:

When a Lego store opened near me last fall, it was open for at least week or two before the "Grand Opening" date. It wasn't crowded at all, but once the grand opening, it was mega-crowded with a huge line just to get in the store.

I envy you guys...

Don't bother to visit Legoland Billund!

They use plastic bags and they charge you (ARE YOU SEATED?) - they charge you 59 Dkr per 100 grams!!! :cry_sad:

59 Dkr equals 10 USD!!!

This sounds like the LEGOLAND Discover Center (a mini-LEGOLAND) that is located near in Schaumburg, just across the street from the Schaumburg LEGO store. There they have a pretty good PAB selection, but they charge by the pound, and it ends up being easily twice the price of LEGO Store PAB. :thumbdown:

I talked to some LEGO employees, and apparently the LEGOLAND Discovery Centers, which are run by Merlin Entertainment (same company that runs LEGOLAND Parks) order PAB from the same list that the LEGO stores do. So while the selection might differ some based on stock, it's really not any better than LEGO Store PAB.

Checked the website with the LEGO stores and apparently they are opening one right near my house soon! Does anyone know how long it takes from announcement to actual opening? I couldn't find any information on when it is supposed to open, they seem so secretive about it. I'd love to pack a PaB cup once it does open though. :thumbup:

i agree i live in england and they do use bags, but what if i used a old cup that i got a while ago would they accept that?

cb

Edited by crabboy329

i agree i live in england and they do use bags, but what if i used a old cup that i got a while ago would they accept that?

cb

I doubt it, though it would only take a phone call to find out.

After reading this thread, I dropped in to the LEGO store on my way back from Vegas last Friday. I had decided to spend my small winnings ($25.50) on LEGO.

As a tangent, I have to say the Ontario Mills, California LEGO Store is my new favorite place to buy LEGO. The staff are super friendly and nice, and they seem to stock sale sets much longer than any other store. I wonder if that's what they mean by "Outlet pricing on select items." They still have Indy Temple Escape 7623 sets for $41. (Though now I'm confused - S@H shows they're "available now" for $60....)

Anyway, thanks to the OP and my craving for greenery, I bought my first Pick-a-Brick cup there. (To get another stamp on my card I threw in three Police Officers and a Fireman, impulse sets on sale for $2.50 each.) Here's what 30 minutes of packing got me:

a1%20P1010143.JPGa2%20P1010145.JPGb1%20all.JPG

Knowing that some stores could be picky about their PAB policies, I asked one of the sales girls if I could take my time building into the cup, and if I could pull the ring of sprue from around the flower leaves (Check this guy's PAB pic to see what I'm talking about). She said I could do whatever I wanted, and pulled a sprue off for me. She stopped by later and checked the lid fitting. It couldn't seal at all, and would need tape just to stay on... she said "that'll be fine." Lovely!

51 tree leaves

198 flower stems

38 flower leaves

25 branches

13 seaweed

1 bush

60 pink flowers

541 trans-green cheese wedges

6 trans-green 1x1 tiles (bonus w/cheese)

I did the math later by checking cheapest prices on Bricklink, and that $15 cup would have cost me $30.65. And that's just spending a half-hour stacking leaves and stems. So thanks Eilif, Ontario LEGO Store... and Vegas!

I just got back from the Lego Imagination Center in Downtown Disney in Florida. Unfortunately, they didn't have alot of greenery, which was what I wanted. :cry_sad: Oh well, I still packed a large and a small cup. :tongue:

First what was in the small. This one I didn't pack, I just tossed stuff in, and then organized it for the photo.

lego-pixcountdookushipreviewandpabcups_053.jpg

I'm not really sure what these pieces are, but I grabbed the only two there:

lego-pixcountdookushipreviewandpabcups_056.jpg

Here's what was I packed in the large:

lego-pixcountdookushipreviewandpabcups_058.jpg

Here it is without all the grass and white pillars:

lego-pixcountdookushipreviewandpabcups_062.jpg

So thanks for showing me a couple techniques for packing PAB cups, it really helped. :sweet:

I was looking around for this topic, and now it's revived, so thanks Spyder. :classic:

Thanks for the little tutorial, Eilif. I went to the Lego store in Schaumberg, IL a few months ago and filled up a large Pick-A-Brick cup with pieces for my current project. I spent a good half-hour trying to shove as many piece in there as I could, keeping your advice in mind the entire time. A nice guy (a father, I think) even reminded me to put some pieces in the lid. I tried various combos of stacked and unstacked bricks, but in the end I decided to not use your method and just leave everything unstacked. I fit quite a lot in, but I don't think as much as you did. Here are some pictures:

3850625240_9fda54362a.jpg

There are some pieces missing (about 15 yellow 2x4 bricks and about 20-25 2x4 black fence pieces), but rest assured it was filled to the top.

3850626742_dd6280ae4c.jpg

The three brown 2x4 bricks were in the lid.

My store doesn't have as much but what would loosely fit in a large I got in a small. I really wanted to get some blck gates and some BURP but they wouldn't fit and I couldn't fill the rest of the large. I also noticed some employees look at me seeing if I was stealing them. I guess it's a problem now.

Edited by JCC1004

Hey Jim,

Looking at your selection, I can see why it might have been more difficult to stack. Stacking does work better when you are getting enough of an element to make stacks as high as the cup. That said, it's always worth it to either build a brick of pieces at the bottom or at least line the edges of the cup with stacks, and then fill in the edges with loose brick

Better luck next time!

I haven't lived near a Lego store for 3 years, but I used this technique to get craploads of white 1X2 bricks. I don't remember the exact number I was able to fit in a large PAB cup, but I bought 3 of them. :-) When I went home to SoCal last November, I bought 2 PAB cups full of dark blueish gray 1X2's and 1X1's.

I love PaB :pirate:

Bumping an old thread with my first PAB cup! I think I did okay. This was at the store in Bellevue, WA. :classic:

2009_10-21_pab001.jpg

2009_10-21_pab002.jpg

- 25 picket fence, white

- 48 plate 1x2, lime green

- 30 plate 1x2, brown

- 9 plate 1x3, brown

- 34 brick 1x2, brown

- 54 brick 1x2, light blue

- 64 brick 1x2 hollow, trans black

- 18 brick 1x2 w/ grill, brown

- 34 brick 1x2 w/ grill, white

- 60 brick 1x4, light blue

- 99 plant flower stem, green

- 38 plant flower sprue, pink

- 38 plant flower sprue, red

- 8 car wheel well 2x2, white

- 8 car wheel well 2x2, black

- 200 1x1 slope, trans-clear

Total: 767 pieces @ $15 = $0.0196 per piece

I used the trans cheese slopes to fill all the little cracks at the end, and I have no idea how I ended up with exactly 200. I also have no idea what to do with them.

I love that they had basic light blue pieces, because now I don't feel like I missed out not getting Market Street! I also love that they had 2 colors of flower sprue. I was kind of disappointed by the lack of tiles, though, and no 'dark' colors except dark gray 1x1 bricks. That said, I had a good time and I'm pretty happy with my haul.

They also had the bottom half of the treasure chest, but not the top. When asked about it, one guy said they were out of stock, and a second guy chipped in that, actually, they never had them in the first place! :wacko:

Edited by Carbohydrates

I'm extremely jealous of all you guys with good PAB stores.

The only one within any reasamble drivign time is 4 hours from me. It is the store in the mall of amaerica so it is always swamped and they have crappy bricks to pick from.

I could only dream of some of the hiests you guys have gotten.

Hi

I am going to a lego store soon and was wondering if anyone knows how much the small cup costs and likewise with the big one.

Hi

I am going to a lego store soon and was wondering if anyone knows how much the small cup costs and likewise with the big one.

Charlotte is 7.99 and 14.99, which I think is typical.

Charlotte is 7.99 and 14.99, which I think is typical.

Sorry I forgot to ask for it in £'s. Is it the same?

Sorry I forgot to ask for it in £'s. Is it the same?

Given the current exchange rate it is probably about

small = £4.22

large = £9.05

This was just an excahnge rate calculation courtesy of google.