ACCURATEin

PAB Cups: What Did You Get?

I've tried to maximize bricks this way, but I find it FAR too time consuming. I just don't have the patience for it.

I've tried to maximize bricks this way, but I find it FAR too time consuming. I just don't have the patience for it.

Exactly!

A couple of weeks back I went to vienna (doing some delivery), I spend 1 1/2 hours at the lego store and filled 6 big cups and 7 small ones (needed the small ones as storage bins otherwise I would have stuck with just big cups). I dont really like shopping and spending 1 1/2 hours at the store was quite exhausting. I didnt even try to maximise those cups as time was of the essence. I knew I could spend two hours max at the store until I had to move on, so I just filled those cups in a rush, otherwise I might have just managed to buy two or three cups - and how much more brick would I have gained by cleverly filling the cups, 10%? 20%?

The situation would be different if I lived in Vienna (or any other lego store city) - I guess I would pay weekly or bi-weekly visits and buy just one cleverly filled cup :)

Edited by Andrzej777

how much more brick would I have gained by cleverly filling the cups, 10%? 20%?

Depends on the parts but for bricks its more like double.

It's no sand green haul, but I got some useful pieces in Cologne last Saturday. One big cup filled mainly with stacked 1x2 bricks in dark bley and some random pieces from the mixed bin, and a small cup filled with 1x3 bricks in dark bley, some light bley 1x1 bricks with studs on side and round 1x1 tiles in light bley.

j7cizfk5.jpg

Edited by Speedboat

Using the trick previously mentioned, I was able to get 157 2x4 bricks into a large cup. Definitely a good price per brick ratio.

Using the trick previously mentioned, I was able to get 157 2x4 bricks into a large cup. Definitely a good price per brick ratio.

Did you follow the pattern exactly? I went on Sunday and filled my cup with 169 following the video's pattern exactly down to the brick. It is a very tight fit on the bottom layer but just gotta push them down. It will bend the cup a little bit but no long lasting damage. 157 or 169 either way is indeed a great price per brick ratio.

I did, I even had a screenshot on my phone that I went off of. Not sure what I may have missed. It was definitely a tight fit and with the lid not totally closing I thought the staff might say something, but they didn't.

But still, it's an awesome technique. I doubt I would have even thought of it myself - I probably would have tried to make columns or something.

I got a large cup full of the 1x4 SNOT bricks, with some 1x1 gap fillers. There was some good stuff in the minifigure section too. The CMF waiter's printed bottle, the butcher's t-bone, graduate's cap, some other good hat and hair pieces...

Got my first ever pick a brick cup today. Large cup from the shanghai Disneyland Lego store. I went for bricks of MANY colours

Got my first ever pick a brick cup today. Large cup from the shanghai Disneyland Lego store. I went for bricks of MANY colours

There aren't that many elements with multiple colors. :laugh:

Local store has 6x12 green plates that I stocked up on. They're great for mini scenes.

Local store has 6x12 green plates that I stocked up on. They're great for mini scenes.

Are you talking bright or dark green plates? Two months ago I was at a lego store, and maybe the lighting was bad or something, but I thought I am buying dark green plates, at home I realized that I had just bought 25 bright green plates. Not a big deal but still - dark green would have been better

Bright green. Lol, if it were dark green, I would have bought probably three times as many.

I filled a small cup of bricks in Manchester store, as I was passing by there:

E7ympPO.jpg

Small bricks wall, but there were still some parts I didn't encounter before.

I forgot I already got orange tiles last time though, it was not useful to take more :D

That makes this one my sixth Lego Store visited (after Lille, Levallois, Lyon, Wijnegem and Köln)

Are there any sand green elements still at the NY stores?

They still have the Statue Of Liberty Pick-a-Model but it's dwindling since the end of the quarter is almost here. Don't know if it will be replaced by new models so get there soon. Better call the stores (Flatiron, Rockefeller) first to find out rather than waste your time.

AC

On January 2:

2 cups. Did not get a pic of the cups before I sorted their contents.

27890192081_e2b06d387a.jpg 27890190301_8f3650aa52.jpg

The cup on the left was bought later. The cup at the top is empty.

One of the yellow 2x2 slopes was an orangey yellow. Not sure if it was bright light orange, or just a production oddity. It's right in the center of the 2nd tray on the top row in the pic on the right. It's the same color as the 1x1 plates w/ tooth, in the upper right tray in the left pic.

May 10 and June 2 (not sure which cups were bought when):

27687958580_5c0bba1a0a_n.jpg 27967407575_a1cde7e85a_n.jpg

I emptied 4 cups into 4 boxes (only 1 pictured), so I could reuse those cups during my June 23 trip.

Their contents (10 cups' total):

27890188341_7612c8b279.jpg 27890186611_c9614d268b.jpg27865860482_7a7111d19b.jpg27967410865_633581bf21.jpg27687936920_4949553592.jpg27687929800_f734652d26.jpgP6250034 by gaklander, on Flickr

Not pictured: 238 black 2x6 bricks and 48 bright green 6x12 plates. Forgot to not put them away before taking pix. Also purchased 2 tan 32x32 baseplates on my June 2 trip.

June 23: 9 large cups, 1 small cup, and 1 BAM pack (my first).

Looks like more than 9, but if you look at the cup on the far right of the left pic, you'll see it's the same cup 2nd from the left in the right pic.

27687922070_df834dca2e.jpg 27687914760_c0628cb942.jpg

That's a stack of 170+ black 4x8 plates in the pic on the right.

27687907280_939a8b39e3.jpg 27687900080_5fb23f693e.jpg

All of the magenta 1x4 bricks in one box: (Not including the ones purchased on previous trips, which I added after the picture.)

27687902610_84d17fda50.jpgP6250039 by gaklander, on Flickr.

The Jan. 2 trip was on the way home from picking up a used 12" tablesaw (Craigslist find). You can check it out on my Flicker album. Woodwork is my other hobby.

The May 10 and June 6 trips were on the way home from picking up orders at OnlineMetals.com. It's cheaper to drive to OLM (in North Seattle) and pick up my orders than to have the orders shipped to my place, near Gig Harbor, Wa. Since I was out that way, stopping by Southcenter Mall was no big deal. I had LEGO store visits on my wish list anyway.

I also wanted the Wreck-it Ralph soundtrack album, and so during my June 6 trip, I went to the F.Y.E. store at the mall and ordered it (they did not have it in stock). I made a special trip on June 23 to pick it up, and took the opportunity to do the LEGO Store thing then (and browse Rockler, a woodworking supply, across the street from the mall).

Does anyone know approximately how many 1 x 2 tiles would fill a large PAB cup?

My hazard is about 1,200+ will fit.

Got a small cup recently from Sawgrass, gotta love the loose scraps bins that they have, those had some good parts. Not in bulk, but just enough for what I wanted.