Sign in to follow this  
Sting

Modern Pirate Attack!

!!!Check This Link!!!

News Story about a Modern Pirate attack off the coast of Somalia.

Hahah, looks like the modern day pirates have a different appearance but are no less daring! Good to see no one was hurt though!

Yarrr... maybe Lego will make a Modern Pirates Lego Theme(Hey... original would be better but at least there'd be some sense of Pirates lol)..

Modern pirates huh? Have you seen the movie Captain Ron starring Kurt Russell? There's some modern (well for the early 90s) pirates towards the end of that who get taken out with a flare gun.

I don't think modern pirates have the same magical quality as the romantacised pirates of history. The modern pirates cruise round in speed boats and use automatic weapons or possible rocket-propelled grenade launchers. Its too similiar to modern warefare - similiar technology, just in the wrong hands.

But how much do you like this idea? Is this what you really want out of your LEGO pirates? Is it really? Really? Really?

Modern Pirate = Mugger in a speedboat

Although, that could work as a set of bad guys in a Batman set or something...but as a "Pirates" theme, no way.

Sadly I'm not sure LEGO will give us a new Pirate line for a while...Megabloks kinda has the market with their Pyrates line right now. And I usually dig what Megabloks does...but their Pyrates are pretty awful :P

Yarrr... maybe Lego will make a Modern Pirates Lego Theme(Hey... original would be better but at least there'd be some sense of Pirates lol)..

What designs for sets could LEGO make for a modern Pirates LEGO theme?

What designs for sets could LEGO make for a modern Pirates LEGO theme?

well, most of these sets would include lots of guns, so as we know they would not be produced, but I was thinking mr phes that they could have a cruise ship or a container ship full of gold bullion, then some "pirate" boats like a cigar boat or a speed boat with some guns mounted on it and some "pirate" figs with rifles and pistols

1) Pirates are still very much alive and kicking. They usually operate in the areas where they've been all these centuries: on all major trading routes in the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic Oceans. however, normally they go after freighters, smaller passenger ships, i guess. I also don't think you can call these Somalian warlords "pirates", they're just factions without any desire to become the master of the sea or anything, they just go after anything worth taking...

2) i think the difference between classic and modern pirates is how we look at it. Pirates of the past are legendary heroes, even good guys, like Pirates of the caribbean, today's pirates aren't well known at all, and basically, they're just "scum with a gun"...

3) no, lego wouldn't really produce modern pirates like that, but it wouldn't be difficult to create them yourself with all the parts they're selling. For instance, you can use the minifigs and guns of the US dinosets.

4) they've produced space pirates in the past: blacktron 1. check for instance the 1990 catalog...

News Story about a Modern Pirate attack off the coast of Somalia.

Hahah, looks like the modern day pirates have a different appearance but are no less daring! Good to see no one was hurt though!

Modern Piracy is much like the original piracy before it was romanticised: Not very funny. Pirates are very much active esp off the coast of Asia and South America. One of New Zealand's legendary sailors and America's Cup winners was murdered by pirates last year...

And no, it would not make a good lego line...

God Bless,

Nathan

I care little for political correctness but I don't like the idea of modernising LEGO pirates... Blah!!! Keep them in the 17th century when they were fun.

They're modern pirates in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

Its amazing that they still exist with the amount of technology the Navies of the world have at their side.

The areas in which pirates operate are usually the ones where this amazing naval technology is yet to reach. Not every country can afford it you see.

I care little for political correctness

Please don't make the mistake of thinking I support pc. I was just saying making a toy out of current carnage is a little low...

God Bless,

Nathan