Hi everyone, today I was wondering why people choose pneumatics over LA's or vice versa. So I decided to make this thread concerning which kind of mechanism you use (pneumatic/LA) and why you think it is best. I saw a lot of talk about the new flagship set 42030, and how many people wanted pneumatics in it, because of this I decided to find out all the pros and cons in your opinion of these 2 types of mechanisms.

Pneumatics:

mQ4wvMa8bVEayXGetDy0fkw.jpg

Linear Actuator:

523470331_o.jpg

Personally I use LA's because I think you have the best control when there motorized or even just used manually. Although I do like the look of the pneumatic pieces and there functionality, I just don't use them as often.

So tell me what you think about these popular pieces. Thanks.

mostly i use linear actuators, because they hold their position under load and they are better for RC. unfortunately, or fortunately sometimes, the driveline to it is mostly complex. and with lego only parts it is not possible to get more than two functions through a turntable

Pneumatics are 'closer' to real life, granted they are not precise, but very simple to install/connect/operate. With LA's, each one needs its own set of driving axles/gears ...

Pneumatics are 'closer' to real life, granted they are not precise, but very simple to install/connect/operate. With LA's, each one needs its own set of driving axles/gears ...

Yeah, they are certainly easier to attach and integrate into a MOC.

<cough> allanp <cough>

:laugh:

I personally prefer pneumatics, they are simple and easy to install.

I'll let allanp do the talking; we've had this exact same topic before actually. (literally the exact same title :wacko:)

TLH

I love pneumatics but I'm warming towards linear actuators.

It depends where u use them. I think linear actuators work well on 8043.

<cough> allanp <cough>

I personally prefer pneumatics, they are simple and easy to install.

I'll let allanp do the talking; we've had this exact same topic before actually. (literally the exact same title :wacko:)

TLH

Give him time to write a long speel. :laugh:

This has been debated/discussed/argued ad naseum in many topics already. I recommend looking there before filling up another topic with the same stuff. Short answer, different people prefer different solutions for different reasons.

Air powered actuators would have the flexibility of pneumatics and the precision of linear actuators, same principle as air powered screwdrivers, do they exist?

This has been debated/discussed/argued ad naseum in many topics already. I recommend looking there before filling up another topic with the same stuff. Short answer, different people prefer different solutions for different reasons.

In short which do u prefer? Please don't say both :)

I like the idea of pneumatics, but I prefer linear actuators. They are less jerky and stay put whereas pneumatics leak air which isn't good for displaying models.

What Lego really need is a sealed hydraulic system. Similar to the maintenance-free CPU coolers from Corsair the pump, lines and cylinders would all be sealed as one unit.

You are absolutely correct. If I want to make a similar kind of topic again should I ask you or Jim about whether this topic has been discussed before? Thanks.

Well I guess a new topic about this every now and then is welcome since new members did not have the chance to participate in those old flame wars. And I am pretty sure some old members are really happy at any chance to bash those pesky LA's.

[i am] really happy at any chance to bash those pesky LA's.

I think both systems have their specific areas of use, and of course there is the matter of personal preference. While one might argue that pneumatics function more like real world hydraulic cyinders, LA's act more like them..

I love the pneumatics' ability to be placed nearly anywhere. I could have never built my Recovery Truck using LA's I think :look:

Edited by D3K

I like linear actuators more because with pneumatics, you can't lift a load as heavy. The new Mobile Crane MK|| probably wouldn't even have a raising boom with pneumatics, because the boom is so complex. Also, linear actuators can be slower, which is okay to me, although to some people it might not be. Bottom line, my decision lies within linear actuators.

I used 4 pneumatic large cylinders and managed to lift my shelf, must have been a few KG at least. I was impressed.

each has its merits, I mostly enjoy Pneumatics, thats what got me back into Technic,LAs have benefits too, but try doing this with LAs rams.jpg

Edited by Bricktrain

I prefer pneumatics. They have a higher quality feel about them. I also think that they're more life like and rugged.

I dislike the way that you have to have loads of axles and gear to drive a LA, seems messy and is also inherently weak. A pneumatic cylinder will work under higher loads than a LA. LAs may well be more precise but I can't stand the gear slipping that you get sometimes when trying to operate them.

As for smoothness, there's nothing smooth about a hand cranked LA under load, in my experience. Very jerky.

YEY! An open invitation to annoy everyone some more :laugh: (WARNING>>>>YOU'VE MOST LIKELY READ ALL THIS BEFORE!)

TBH I've said my piece on this to to point where I'm starting to annoy myself but as you have twisted my arm :wink: I hate LAs. They are not life like, way too slow even for scale and require gear trains to power them which in many places is difficult of not impossible to reach. Sure they can be controlled more precisely but using a bit of skill you can control pneumatics precisely enough and the need for some skill makes it more fun to operate in my opinion. With an LA you just move a lever or twist a knob until it's where you want it (or get repetitive strain injury!) which is kinda dull. Real life machinery work via hydraulics which work on the exact same principal as pneumatics making them way more authentic. The numerous hoses required also make pneumatic models look more authentic. They can also be placed anywhere making models with pneumatics less likely to have non-functions where the control is right next to it. Everything can be powered, motorised and operated from a single point. When used in a model they are also much more powerful (tries to ignore those tiny pneumatics in 42008). In 42009 there was a massive gear train required to raise and lower the outriggers which used up most of the power leaving little if any to power to actually lower the feet to the point where it's hard to see them moving. Had they have been pneumatic the outriggers could have quickly and easily lifted the model off the ground. Now compare these two similarly sized back hoes.

tn_8455-1.jpg

8069.jpg

​There is only 100 parts between them but these sets are miles apart. 8455 is considered to be a fantastic flagship with functionality that rivals if not surpasses any other flagship. It's numerous functions are also very powerful, authentic and fun to operate. Everything is operable and all from the cab. 8069 on the other hand, it is a great little toy but compared to 8455 it's nowhere. It isn't a flagship but it only has 100 less parts and represents 8 years of supposed progress over 8455. It's functions are a bore to operate, slow, not as powerful or as numerous and does not work or look as authentic. Many of the functions are operated via knobs mounted directly on the function itself. And now for the longer pneumatics bit that you guys so love to read! (Well I warned you). The reason 8455 wins is because it's pneumatic functions are so much better than those LA based functions of 8069. But 8455 being as great as it is, it's easy to forget that it's only a small model. The current cylinders were designed at a time when models did not exceed that part count. Now we are regularly at 2 or 3 times that part count. So to say pneumatic would not work on the boom of 42009, sure there is some truth to that HOWEVER to say they are therefore inferior to LAs in any way is a little unfair to them. In order to have a fair comparison when used on a large boom of a crane you would need to compare an LA against a pneumatic which is a suitable size for todays much bigger models.

DSCN0924.JPG

I could go on but I'm boring myself now. :laugh: Just know that LAs suck, whilst in dire need of an overhaul, pneumatics are to Technic what flavour is to food!

Edited by allanp

2 pneumatics cylinders located like on 8421 would rise the arm easily on the 42009.

Regarding backhoes, I think that 8069 is much more fun to operate than 8455. All those knobs, like a vintage model, are awesome IMO.

As for longer cylinder (pneumatic or LA), I do not think Lego really need them at the moment. They actually always found clever tricks to do without. I appreciate that.

I'd love it if the linear actuators would extend faster. That would give them a lot of use in steering systems and gearboxes.

Each of the systems has its use, as was previously said.

I mostly prefer pneumatics because they are faster and you can fit also certainly more hoses trough a turntable than you can with gears.

Another reason is I only have 2 LA's :cry_sad: .

The problem is not the LA itself, but the lack of a micro motor that can be attached directly to the LA, something very compact while powerful even if that means relatively high current draw. LA's could suddenly become way more useful.