pirate4life

Has Pirate Lego got worse?

In my opinion the only impressive set in the new Pirates line is the big ship. All of the others seem under-realized. The best part about this new theme is the minifigs.

In my opinion the only impressive set in the new Pirates line is the big ship. All of the others seem under-realized. The best part about this new theme is the minifigs.

Not only that, we also got a new fire piece, printed shako's, fish, spyglasses and lots o pearl gold. :pir-wub:

Not only that, we also got a new fire piece, printed shako's, fish, spyglasses and lots o pearl gold. :pir-wub:

That's true. The new Pirates make great parts packs.

I think the new sets seem not "complete". They look more like someone had started to build them and then stopped after 75% of the work was done. This is particularly noticeable in the sets BB and Soldier's Fort.

How come? Just look at the piece-count at "www.peeron.com". For example: The new BB is made by using about 590 pieces and the old RBR has about 690 pieces. That means a decrease of about 15%...although both ships have a comparable size. The consequence: They simply made a ship that looks unnatural because some significant details are missing: The missing string from the bow to the stern. The sappy attachment of the foresail that is only painted on one side. Two different hull pieces for the bow and the stern are missing and thus the cabine looks more like a box or backpack that seems not beeing part of the ship. They tried to cover or minimize this effect by using a beautiful colour scheme and by building the starboard and portside cabin walls in 75° inverted. It simply looks unnatural. The stupid third gun on the ship's back instead of 4 guns at the gun deck. The empty forecastle...and so on

And for this thing they want about 100 bucks! That's an impertinence!

Ok, it was the first attempt to create some pirate sets for more than a decade but that's no excuse. For me it seems that the designers are working hard to decrease the piece count instead of creating completed sets.

Kind regards.

Edited by Wellington

i wish they could have a 20th aniversery of the firt v of pirate legos in 2013 but hey its just my thought :pir-sceptic:

Pirate LEGO was initially released in 1989, so this year is the 20th anniversary, but if make 2014 then it would be the 25th anniversary.

As for the new sets...

I don't think they're worse than the sets released in 1996 and 1997, but they're certainly not in the league of the pre 1994 Pirate sets.

In the 2009 Pirate Set Impressions thread I evaluated exactly what I liked and disliked about the new sets.

But to summarise, it's a good start but there is plenty of room for improvement in future releases.

I like the new printed torsos.

Now, I would LOVE for any of you to tell me that you are not totally excited about the fact that the firing cannons actually work well?

As for BB, I like it. Its another ship and that is great. Besides, I converted mine to Imperial Service anyways! :pir-tongue:

But you have to admit, we got something! We have something to start with, and some new items to work with. For this, I am very happy. If anything, the new elements, designs, etc.. have improved my olds sets!

There are plenty of ways to talk to customer service (as I found out the hard way) and online polls to say what you want. Why not take the time and tell LEGO?

-Super

Now, I would LOVE for any of you to tell me that you are not totally excited about the fact that the firing cannons actually work well?

Okay :pir-tongue: , I am not totally excited about the fact the firing cannons actually work well :pir-wink:.

I allready had over 20 cannons, so I don't really care about the "new" ones (only difference is colour).

Okay :pir-tongue: , I am not totally excited about the fact the firing cannons actually work well :pir-wink:.

I allready had over 20 cannons, so I don't really care about the "new" ones (only difference is colour).

Really? How can you play with LEGOs and not have a little kids SOMEWHERE inside of you?! :pir_laugh2:

Really? How can you play with LEGOs and not have a little kids SOMEWHERE inside of you?! :pir_laugh2:

That little kid inside me is hiding, I think he might be afraid of cannons :pir-tongue:.

I am however excited about the new parts (and minifigs), we hadn't seen before, like the telescope.