Sign in to follow this  
Carbohydrates

MOC: SWAT Truck

indexed.gif V-LP-2E

swattruck000.png

swattruck001.png

When I decided to build a SWAT truck, I noticed that most real-world designs are pretty ugly. They're flat black and tend to look like delivery trucks. For inspiration, I turned to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City's SWAT truck design, which is significantly more attractive. I took some liberties, of course, making it look a bit meaner and tougher, but you can still see the influence.

Also, I tend to neglect play value in favor of aesthetics, but this model's actually pretty good in that regard. The side and back doors open and the roof comes off to see the inside. Two figs fit comfortably in the cab and you could cram a bunch of troopers either standing or sitting in the back.

swattruck005.png

swattruck007.png

The model's also 7-wide at most points. I love building at odd widths! This has the benefit of making it large compared to modern 6-wide LEGO city vehicles, but not comically oversized.

swattruck010.png

More here when moderated:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=376748

Deep links:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Brilliant Job! I especially like your work on the front and the side angles of the hood. I've never seen anything like it before.

Great job as always Carbs! I agree with Eilif that the hood is beautifully done, and I'm loving the exhausts. Keep up the good work.

I oh my goodness, this is spectacular Carbohydrates! I especially love how you've made the rear doors and the front engine section! Beautiful! :wub:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I oh my goodness, this is spectacular Carbohydrates! I especially love how you've made the rear doors and the front engine section! Beautiful! :wub:

Batbrick Away! :devil:

I agree, This is probable the best LEGO SWAT truck I've ever seen. :cry_happy::thumbup:

I might have to try and make it. Also I agree that odd numbered cars look better. But im hopeless at building them. :sadnew: Probable 'cos I dont have many 3x1 plates/bricks ect...or other oddnumbered bricks. :hmpf_bad:

Anyway I love it dude, great work. Also it does look like the one from GTA :thumbup:

This is simply perfect. MOCs such as this one are a real inspiration to anyone who hasn't decided on how wide their cars and trucks should be (such as myself)... Your design solutions are very crafty & quite unique, I absolutely love studying them and I guess I might even copy a few of those :]]] I do hope to see this truck built out of actual bricks, but I have to congratulate you on being able to build such a marvellous model - I personally couldn't for the life of me build something THIS complicated using only digital bricks :]

Wow. That does look fantastic. The hood is, as others pointed out, brilliant, and I love the exhaust ports as well.

A very detailed and cool looking SWAT truck indeed! :classic:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

I might have to try and make it. Also I agree that odd numbered cars look better. But im hopeless at building them. :sadnew: Probable 'cos I dont have many 3x1 plates/bricks ect...or other oddnumbered bricks. :hmpf_bad:

You'd need a bunch! This MOC uses 24 1x3 plates, 17 2x3 plates, and 35 1x2 w/ 1 stud (jumper) plates.

I do hope to see this truck built out of actual bricks, but I have to congratulate you on being able to build such a marvellous model - I personally couldn't for the life of me build something THIS complicated using only digital bricks :]

Thanks! I'd love to be able to build it, but at 481 pieces, it's right in the "prohibitively expensive" range until I get some more spending money.

Wow. That does look fantastic. The hood is, as others pointed out, brilliant, and I love the exhaust ports as well.

Funny thing is the idea for the exhaust was probably one of the very last ideas I had for the MOC. I'm glad you guys dig it.

Edited by Carbohydrates

that's a really really cool truck ! seriously this is the best "police" lego vehicle I saw for now^^ I love it!

Woah, now that is one cool truck! I love the techniques used. Clever job! :classic:

VBBN