13 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below average
    • Average
    • Good
    • Outstanding

INDEXED

That's it, I'm gratuated from the Reviewer Academy!

I'm now allowed to post this in a public forum.

I choose a city theme: Harbor.

6679: Dark Shark

imgp8219__800x600.jpg

1991 Lego Catalog

6.jpeg

This set was released in 1991. It was my sister's birthday, and to prevent me from being jealous, my grandmother bought me this set. This boat was called the smuggler’s boat. That’s why on the catalogues, police always try to catch the two sailors!!

This is the second set to have the number 6679.

But enough talk, and let’s the review started!

Set Data:

6679: Dark Shark

Year: 1991

Theme: Classic Town

Pieces: 71 + 2 minifigs

Price: At the moment, this set is sold 9$ on Bricklink

Building time: 15min

More info: Bricklink , Peeron and Lugnet

The box (from Peeron):

6679-1.1189400759.jpg

The box shows the boat with all its stickers. The background is the classical Lego harbour background, with the crane like in the 6541

Box content:

imgp8198_650x600.jpg

All the 71 pieces are shown to you. We can notice that there is not a lot of color, black and red in majority. There are two of these bow bricks and two ailerons.

Minifigs:

imgp8199_800x600.jpg

imgp8201_800x600.jpg

The two minifigs of this set are the same: the standard head, a plain white torso and blue legs. They are wearing a life jacket and a white helmet with a black visor. This black visor made my happiness for a long time, to make plain black super hero for example!

The building:

First step:

imgp8203_800x405.jpg

The building start in a very common way for a boat: a bow, a body and a motor.

The body:

imgp8205_800x489.jpg

Then, we add a second chair, and some clips at the rear of the boat.

The motor:

imgp8207_800x501.jpg

The time is now come to add this wonderful and powerful V12 motor!

Almost finished:

imgp8208_800x337.jpg

This motor takes place at the front of the boat and stick up from its place. Two walkie-talkies were added at the rear. It’s a weird place for them, because they are just near the propulsion and the water.

The complete product:

And this is the finished boat, without stickers:

imgp8209_800x385.jpg

The underside receives three boat studs, one of whom is raised near the bow. A windscreen comes to protect the pilot from wind and water projection and a nice aileron dress the back of the boat.

Front view:

imgp8210_371x600.jpg

From this view, we can notice that this boat is very thin.

Rear view:

imgp8211_527x600.jpg

This is a little focus on the propulsion system. The back is very smart with these two slopes surrounding the propulsion system.

Finish view:

imgp8213_800x430.jpg

Our two fellows are ready to start their engine!

Black Ops:

Let’s have a closer look to their activity…

imgp8222_800x600.jpg

Oh yes, don’t forget they are smugglers!! Indeed, they are able to hide some weapons into their boat and sell them to the best bidder!

Review:

In my opinion, it's a very good set. The boat have a good design. It really seems to be fast. Moreover, the final product is really strong and compact. It's an important point for kids. However, a minor point of improvement is the minifig. The only interesting thing is their black visor. All the rest is standard. The pieces are quite standard, but the designer has been able to create a boat full of style: the rising motor, the ailerons, and the general shape are nice touch.

Minifig: 2/5

Pieces: 2/5

Playability: 5/5

Construction: 4/5

Overall rating: 4/5

Thanks for reading my review !

Hope you'll like it, and let me know if you don't!

Pictures can be found in my Brickshelf

Edited by TheBrickster

An outstanding set I really loved to play with endlessly when I had bought it. I love the colour scheme of the boat and the propulsion system as well as the motor. Indeed, the torsos are only white and nothing special, but I don't care since the complete front part of the torsos is covered with the life vests anyway.

this is an awesome set. TLC should start making boats like this again and not those hunks of junk like the recent fire and police boats

Well done! I love reading Classic Town reviews. This is one of the unknown sets which I am not aware of until I read this review of yours in the academy. You have offered good perspective which offer high playability. It's uncommon to see set like this that is related to smuggling activites and how they hid those assault rifles in the deck.

By the way, I heard that your review has made it to Classic-Town.net. Do take alook. :wink:

Woo thanks for the highlight WhiteFang !!

(Oups I think the link on Classic-Town is not the right one :wink: )

Woo thanks for the highlight WhiteFang !!

(Oups I think the link on Classic-Town is not the right one :wink: )

The link to the site is correct. However, this is the link to the written article.

I own this set, it is a nice boat, but in my opinion nothing special... I voted average.

The link to the site is correct. However, this is the link to the written article.

Yes, but the link in your article point to the 7746 Single-drum roller review by pyro-hyppo.

Don't worry about it ! :wink: