Sign in to follow this  
Akkhraziel

A missed license

I totally concur Akk !!!

I wrote previously that the POTC license would be a fantastic way to come back to pirates sets (TLC, WE NEED Pirates !!). Oh well, they already missed the Curse of the Black Pearl and I doubt they will buy the licence for POTC 3 :| (sob, sob !!)

Ahhhhh but maybe, just maybe Lego will bring back their pirates to fight against the evil that is Megablocks.

Thing is, Megablocks have a relationship with Disney seeing as they're doing the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

If Lego took on Pirates of the Caribbean, they'd have to take one more Disney properties.

While I would love a pirate theme (using as small as possible quantities of the new colours) I am glad Lego are staying away from the un-dead skeleton thing- leave that to MB. (Don't take me wrong I loved POC; I just like Lego to stick ultra kid friendly.)

God Bless,

Nathan

You've got a point there Norro ;)

As I said in another thread ages ago, TLC could benefit from the POTC by giving us a pirate theme without paying for a licence and from benefitting from the momentum of the movie !!!!!

You've got a point there Norro ;)

As I said in another thread ages ago, TLC could benefit from the POTC by giving us a pirate theme without paying for a licence and from benefitting from the momentum of the movie !!!!!

Maybe they will!

While I would love a pirate theme (using as small as possible quantities of the new colours) I am glad Lego are staying away from the un-dead skeleton thing- leave that to MB. (Don't take me wrong I loved POC; I just like Lego to stick ultra kid friendly.)

God Bless,

Nathan

well... exoforce isn't really kid friendly either... nor are the HP graveyard, death eaters,...

i don't think the company needs a license of a pirate film to produce a pirate theme, but i guess Matt is right on this: There is an established alliance between megablocks and Disney and there's also is a strong alliance between lego and Lucas/spielberg. in both cases it is very likely that the partner of the alliance has a first mover advantage: for instance, disney will only make a deal with lego if megablock doesn't want a specific license. so i guess, for lego, disney is off limits...

what i don't understand is this:

why doesn't lego produce a new pirate theme? demand for pirate sets is huge, as the prices of old sets on bricklink and ebay indicate...

God Bless,

Nathan

isn't really kid friendly either... nor are the HP graveyard, death eaters,...

Which is why I really don't like those sets either...

God Bless,

Nathan

Do we know for definate that Lego aren't going to do Pirate sets for the end of 2006?

Or will we just get Vikings?

From what I hear of POTC 2&3 they're bringing in all types of nautical mythology. Including SEA SERPENTS!!!

This MEGABLOCKSing sucks...

I really freekin' hope Lego gets back into making Pirates... or even decent Castle... something for me to buy.

The viking sets are alright but I hate the Monsters... I don't need monsters to take up half the pieces. Yes, they are cool... but...

Frustration is taking a hold of me! >:(

But I'll be the first to say I would have preferred this license to either Spongebob or Batman.

....or Batman - I think not. Sure loose the Spongedude theme, but for all that is Holy - don't let go of the bat. One can only hope for a revival of the great pirate theme - but there's only to wait and see. And of course let TLC know that WE WANT THE PIRATES BACK. - Which would allow the Vikings to meet Pirates at sea or even meet each other while plundering: "Oy that's me bottle of rhum Ya' scavaging!!"

KimT

i don't think the company needs a license of a pirate film to produce a pirate theme, but i guess Matt is right on this: There is an established alliance between megablocks and Disney and there's also is a strong alliance between lego and Lucas/spielberg. in both cases it is very likely that the partner of the alliance has a first mover advantage: for instance, disney will only make a deal with lego if megablock doesn't want a specific license. so i guess, for lego, disney is off limits...

PLEEEEEEEASE!!! I beg of the LEGO Company not to create a pirate theme based off a licence! And take heed that Mr Phes never begs, and rarely has the manners to use words like please.

what i don't understand is this:

why doesn't lego produce a new pirate theme? demand for pirate sets is huge, as the prices of old sets on bricklink and ebay indicate...

I'll take an uneducated guess... When LEGO re-released pirate sets a few years back they were poorly marketted and nobody knew of their availability. (Like me for example, I didn't know they were available till I looked on eBay about a year later). Because nobody knew of their availability obviously nobody bought them so LEGO assumed nobody was interested. And they also used this an indication of the success for a new pirate theme

Eventually these re-releases were reduced to half price, at which point the professional LEGO collectors swooped in and bought 20 or so copies to sell over eBay or BrickLink. So where did all the profits go? Definitely not LEGO but the average Joe operatoring an electronic store in his bedroom.

I beg of the LEGO Company not to create a pirate theme based off a licence!

I agree. It would harm the Pirate line just like Star Wars harmed Space.

or even decent Castle... something for me to buy.

I wouldn't know how to respond to a great new castle theme. If it remained in bley it would almost be more aggrivating than the current stuff... (a slight off set being the thought of kids enjoying castle again, but still, bley...)

God Bless,

Nathan

well... let's face it, creating bley wasn't lego's best decision in history, even tho some sw models look quite nice with that color, like the 2004 snowspeeder, but for a castle, it just doesn't look right... Even the new light grey doesn't give a good display for a castle model.

so i guess, i'd go for a tan color or the old grey, with brown floors on the walls and towers...

even tho some sw models look quite nice with that color

That's because bley resembles metal rather than any rock I know... So it's good for spaceships and this kind of stuff.

Bley can have it's uses... but it should NOT ever be a replacement for the original grays.

Everything in moderation.

So Narnia is DISNEY? Ugh.

Disney gets their greasy, ugly hands in everything.

Batman the Animated series? Make GARGOYLES!

Kimba? SIMBA! http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm

Agh... my hate goes deep for Disney.

Bionicle movies were helped in part by Disney (Buena Vista division). And Disney has Megabloks doing a license.

So really, they're all up in everyone's busine$$ anyway.

Lego needs to quit creaming over everything their "focus groups" tell them and start reading some freaking messageboards.

Do you think you could ever get used to "bley" Mr Norro?

It is the wrong tone for stone or rock, which rules it out of my two fav areas (Castle and Pirate) so I can't see myself ever liking it. I also don't buy new sets that feature it in abundance (I subtract it from the piece count when considering purchases) so it is always just an annoyance which I don't have enough to build with and wouldn't want to anyway.

God Bless,

Nathan

Bley can have it's uses... but it should NOT ever be a replacement for the original grays.

Report this to LEGO at once! Make them understand!

Report this to LEGO at once! Make them understand!

They don't. Though I've sent a 'few' comments. One of these days I'll be on my way to visit Phes in Aussie and get upgraded by fluke. As I settle into my new wider seat I'll realize the executive next to me has a little lego logo on his briefcase. Then for the rest of the long haul flight he will rergret they changed the colours, and by the time we land orders will be being sent for old grey plastic- if only to guard against sitting next to me on the way back...

God Bless,

Nathan

Lets all wish Mr Norro the best of luck in achieving his fluke!

Thanks Much all!

God Bless,

Nathan

Lego needs to quit creaming over everything their "focus groups" tell them and start reading some freaking message boards.

Definitely! Direct them to my Pirate (and Castle) Forum immediately!