Captain Zuloo

'Behind the Helm'

behindthehelmet%20copy.png

Hello and a very big pirate-y welcome to ye all as we set sail for 'Behind the Helm' Episode #3! Today we have the honor of talking to a Eurobricks Fellow. This Fellow is very active on Eurobricks as a Reviewers Academy teacher and he has recently volunteered his time and effort to do some chores aboard Classic-Pirates.com. That's right, it be Shipyard Master, Erdbeereis in question!

C-P: Welcome to the show Erdy!

Erdbeereis: Thanks a lot Zuloo!

C-P: No worries! So, tell us a little about yourself and your interest in LEGO.

Erdbeereis: Well, I always enjoyed casually building when I was younger, but mainly around Christmas time setting up a LEGO train around the tree. I really started getting into LEGO in 2007, when I got a set (Creator Highway Haulers) from my cousins in Germany. There's not so many of the usual things like computers and T.V. to distract you, so I had a lot of time to enjoy the set, build all of the different models and such. Seeing all of the amazing things you can really do with LEGO bricks got me hooked, and when I came back home I bought a few more sets. Soon after that, I searched for some LEGO websites, and found a little site called Eurobricks. I joined January 31st 2008 and haven't looked back since.

C-P: What was the first set that you bought yourself?

Erdbeereis: Hmmm... I really can't remember. But the first set that I got when I really got excited about LEGO was the Aquaraiders Lobster Strike. Those darn lobster legs never stayed on....

C-P: Hehehe. And what would you say is your favourite theme?

Erdbeereis: For MOCing, definitely Pirate-type things. Islanders, Imperials, Pirates, any of those are my favorite MOCing areas. However for sets, besides Pirates I also enjoy most lines, but for current themes Star Wars, Agents and Indiana Jones are certainly high up there.

C-P: You do a bit of work teaching how to make a good LEGO set review. Can you tell us a little about the Reviewers Academy?

Erdbeereis: Sure! The Academy is basically a school, where the students learn to write great reviews. How it works is a student writes a review, and in order to pass that review he or she must earn passes from 3 teachers. If a review is not quite ready to be passed the teachers let the student know what needs to be improved, for example fixing up grammar errors, sharpening blurry pictures, etc. Once a student has passed 3 reviews he "graduates" and earns a bronze badge. If a student reaches a level of 9 passed reviews, he or she too becomes a teacher. The Teachers also work hard keeping the index of Academy reviews, and also the report card in order.

C-P: Sounds busy! Yet you still find time to do some work for Classic-Pirates.com. Could you explain what you do for the Pirate blog?

Erdbeereis: Well, I write articles for the frontpage, and check over other people's news articles and make sure there aren't any code errors in HTML, spelling errors, etc. The main project I'm working on now is writing pages for all of the LEGO Pirate sets ever released. After that is done C-P with have a great log of info about every Pirate set out there.

C-P: Just for those who don’t know, the set pages that are complete can be found here. What do you enjoy doing outside of the LEGO hobby?

Erdbeereis: Some of my other hobbies are playing sports like golf, soccer and tennis to name a few. I also enjoy traveling, I visit relatives in Germany every year and often go to Mexico, along with some travel within the U.S. Another thing I love is food, and cooking. Thus the chef sig-fig I have.

C-P: And could you please tell us where you got your username from?

Erdbeereis: Erdbeereis means strawberry ice-cream in German, and that's one of my favorite things to eat there. It's much better than anything you can get here in the States. So, there you have it!

C-P: Ok, well thank you for taking the time to speak to us about yerself, and shed some light on the real Erdbeereis!

Erdbeereis: Many thanks for your time Zuloo! Happy building everyone!

C-P: Thanks for joining me for this episode of 'Behind the Helm' you scallywags, I'll catch you next time with a special Eurobricks Administrator guest...

Good review.

I always wanted to know a bit more about our Strawberry teacher.

Another excellent interview Zuloo. I am enjoying your series and finding out the lives and interests of members of Classic-Pirates.com.

We should have these great interviews indexed :pir-wink: and I also think that there should be a interview done with Zuloo.

Good job :thumbup:

Nice review of the Erdbeereis set! :wink:

here in the States

mhhh.. "here in the states " ? I don't think we all come from the U.S here^^ and I do prefer Strawberry sorbet , more "light" than strawberry icecream, I think the taste of strawberry is better in a sorbet! But that depends of the person I think !

This is an interesting interview, but it doesn't really address the burning questions. Like, when did Erds' interest in folk dancing start? Does he favour a particular region or style? When he performs, does he do it in full costume? Does he think his Deutsche heritage has contributed to his deep and all-consuming love for volk-dancing? Is a diet of strawberry icecream enough to sustain the physical effort involved in the strenuous routines as demonstrated on folkdancing.com?

mhhh.. "here in the states " ? I don't think we all come from the U.S here^^ and I do prefer Strawberry sorbet , more "light" than strawberry icecream, I think the taste of strawberry is better in a sorbet! But that depends of the person I think !

Well, when I was interviewed I was in the U.S..... :pir_wacko:

The Ice-Cream that I like in Germany is actually more similar to sorbet, as it's much less heavy than say, store-bought ice cream. The store is actually run by Italians, who certainly know their ice cream :pir-laugh:

This is an interesting interview, but it doesn't really address the burning questions. Like, when did Erds' interest in folk dancing start? Does he favour a particular region or style? When he performs, does he do it in full costume? Does he think his Deutsche heritage has contributed to his deep and all-consuming love for volk-dancing? Is a diet of strawberry icecream enough to sustain the physical effort involved in the strenuous routines as demonstrated on folkdancing.com?

I frankly was shocked that Zuloo didn't address this issue. CNN even asked me to do a segment on folk-dancing once.

Thanks again for doing this Zuloo, I had a lot of fun.

Well done Zuloo and Erdbeereis!

It was again a pleasure to read it.

Oh and I'm very exciting about the set pages!

So well done you two :pir-sweet:

'Bricks'

Hahaha, I really enjoyed this interview. I was curious about Erdy's cook avatar, and now I know it. :pir-blush:

You are doing an awesome job in the Shipyard, and also in the Reviewers Acedemy. Keep that up!

Zuloo has done a nice job interviewing Strawberry, it's always a pleasure to read interviews.

Oh and Erdbeereis, in the Netherlands there is perfect Icecream!

I've heard the people in Germany use no sugar... is that true?

I've eaten an apple pie from Germany once and it was not a pleasure!

I've heard the people in Germany use no sugar... is that true?

Ummm... Not that I know of. :pir_laugh2: My Grandmother's cakes are always sweet, and the ice-cream tastes sweet as well. :pir-wink:

Miam Italian Ice cream ... that's so good ^^ we have a lot of these kind of icecream here in Geneva too.. that taste sooo good!