7159: Star Wars Bucket

Name: Star Wars Bucket

Theme: Star Wars Episode I

Set Number: 7159

Pieces: 291

Year released: 2000

Minifigures: 3

Price: Can't remember, but $25.00 according to Peeron

This is one of my least favourite sets because it has some truly terrible looking podracers in it.

As always, let's start with the instruction manual.

The front. I like the cartoon Anakin on it, but I don't understand why Anakin's podracer isn't in the picture.

IMG_6665.jpg

Back.

IMG_6667.jpg

The minifig pages.

IMG_6663.jpg

IMG_6659.jpg

And a random page.

IMG_6668.jpg

The cool thing about this set is that it came in a bucket.

IMG_6669.jpg

Here are the pictures on each side of it.

IMG_6675.jpgIMG_6674.jpg

IMG_6672.jpgIMG_6671.jpg

The handle.

IMG_6676.jpg

A look inside.

IMG_6677.jpg

The figs in this set are alright. They are: Aldar Beedo (according to Brickset http://www.brickset.com/minifigs/?m=sw006), Anakin Skywalker and Jar Jar Binks.

IMG_6597.jpg

This is the third Anakin that I got in this version. I already owned him from #7171 Mos Espa Podrace and #7131 Anakin's Podracer.

IMG_6601.jpgIMG_6598.jpg

IMG_6599.jpgIMG_6600.jpg

Jar Jar Binks I also had already (four times to be exact). Still a nice fig with a great torso.

IMG_6602.jpgIMG_6603.jpgIMG_6604.jpg

Then there is Aldar Beedo. In my opinion, he looks nothing like the character (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Aldar_beedo.jpg).

With his helmet on.

IMG_6605.jpgIMG_6606.jpg

IMG_6607.jpgIMG_6608.jpg

And without. I like the printing even though it looks nothing like Beedo.

IMG_6609.jpg

Here he is with the Aldar Beedo from #7186 Watto's Junkyard. Now you tell me, which one looks more like Beedo? :sceptic:

IMG_6652.jpg

There are also some tires included in this set :wacko:

IMG_6619.jpgIMG_6621.jpg

Here's one of the only good things about this set, the finish/starting point. The only bad thing about it is that it's too small for it to be used by the normal sized podracers from sets #7186 Watto's Junkyard, #7171 Mos Espa Podrace and #7131 Anakin's Podracer.

IMG_6610.jpgIMG_6611.jpg

IMG_6612.jpgIMG_6613.jpg

Front.

IMG_6614.jpg

Back.

IMG_6615.jpgIMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6617.jpgIMG_6618.jpg

I'll start off with the least interesting podracers. The first is, I believe, the FG 8T8 Twin Block2 Special from racer Neva Kee (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/FG_8T8_Twin_Block2_Special). It hardly resembles the podracer and Neva Kee is also missing. I know this is a set for kids but couldn't LEGO have designed it a bit better?

IMG_6635.jpgIMG_6640.jpg

Close-up of the cockpit.

IMG_6636.jpg

Backside.

IMG_6638.jpg

One of the engines.

IMG_6637.jpg

One of the engines from above.

IMG_6639.jpg

Then we have the next podracer. I'm not really sure which one this is, but it looks the most like Clegg Holdfast's KV9T9-B Wasp (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/KV9T9-B_Wasp). As with the previous pod, the racer (Clegg Holdfast) is not included.

IMG_6630.jpg

Cockpit.

IMG_6632.jpgIMG_6633.jpg

Engines.

IMG_6631.jpg

The third podracer is Aldar Beedo's MARK IV Flat-Twin Turbojet (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MARK_IV_Flat-Twin_Turbojet).

IMG_6641.jpg

One of the engines.

IMG_6642.jpgIMG_6643.jpg

The engines seen from the back.

IMG_6645.jpg

The cockpit.

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6647.jpgIMG_6649.jpg

The cockpit with Aldar Beedo in it.

IMG_6650.jpg

Here's a comparison photo with Beedo's pod from set #7186 Watto's Junkyard.

IMG_6651.jpg

Review continues in next post.

Edited by Mischa07

And finally, there is Anakin's podracer (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Anakin_Skywalker%27s_Podracer). I find this to be the best looking one from the set, but it's still far from perfect.

IMG_6622.jpg

A close-up of the cockpit.

IMG_6623.jpgIMG_6624.jpg

The engines.

IMG_6629.jpgIMG_6626.jpg

The grey beams rest on these black tiles.

IMG_6627.jpg

This is also the case with the cockpit.

IMG_6628.jpg

Here's a comparison photo with Anakin's podracer from set #7171 Mos Espa Podrace.

IMG_6653.jpg

A look at the complete set.

IMG_6656.jpg

Price: 7/10 - Alright for the amount of pieces and minifigs.

Parts: 7/10 - Not a lot of unique or rare parts, but still a lot of useful ones.

Playability: 8/10 - Good set for young kids.

Minifigs: 6/10 - Average. Could have used more of the podracer pilots or a Pit Droid. Beedo is horrible.

Final: 6/10 - Not one of my favourites. The pods are badly designed, too simplified and hardly recognizable. The minifigs are okay, but the only thing that I really like is the finish/starting point.

Edited by Mischa07

Thanks for the review Mischa07! :classic:

I don't know why LEGO decided to put this set in a bucket. Maybe because they couldn't think of a good name for it? :wacko:

By the way, are those white spots (stars?) that are on the bucket part of the plastic, or are they printed?

Edited by ILikePi

You're welcome :classic:

They are part of the plastic. I suppose they should look like stars.

Luckily I got this set as a gift. I would have never bought it myself.

Thanks for that comprehensive review, Mischa07. :thumbup:

That brick built Aldar Beedo looks a little strange but still a lot more useful as that single piece

one IMHO which looks almost like some kind of predecessor of the MarsMission Alliens. :grin:

But these tires´re really a mysterium...

Seems as though everyone hates this set, except for me. I though it was average. I liked the Jar-Jar in it, and I really liked the castle/tower part to it, but the Pod Races were terrible, the whoever it is, with the Battle Droid for a body, is so unlike his real self that it almost saddens me. I forget what hia name was, but it does not look like a Xexto.

i actually like these pod racers better because they dont have those big tan holder thingys

When the best thing about a set is the box it can't be that good. :tongue:

And the second-best is Jar Jar.

:laugh:

The minifigs in the set/bucket are excellent even though allar beedo doesnt look good. The podracers are terrible on the other hand. Lego really missed on this set

Thanks for another amazing review :thumbup: . I don´t think this set is THAT bad but still not the best one :tongue: . In my opinion the most accurate pod here is the Neva Kee´s one because even if it doesn´t look at all that great it looks good enough. Also I still don´t admit that the alien minifig here is Aldar Beedo. After all, they released the REAL Aldar Beedo too and I don´t think the TLC is THAT lazy to just throw a random minifig as a unique character. Remember that all the set must be approved by Lucasfilm and they always say that they like that the thing are the most accurate possible to their fictional counterparts.

In my opinion the most accurate pod here is the Neva Kee´s one because even if it doesn´t look at all that great it looks good enough. Also I still don´t admit that the alien minifig here is Aldar Beedo.

I agree that Neva Kee's pod is the 'best' here.

But think about it, that could not be anybody other than Aldar because:

1.-He is mostly tan, like Aldar.

2.-His pod engines are blue with light colored stripes.

3.-The engines have red cylinders with black on the back of them, like Aldar's.

4.-There are rectangular holes in the fron of the engines, like Aldar's.

5.-etc., etc.

Another nice review Mischa07 :thumbup::classic:

The pods in this set are kinda cute imo. :laugh: But the newer ones are alot better. :thumbup:

The figs in this set are pretty bad. Lego didn't have a nice look at reference pics obviously. :sceptic:

Good job with the review!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox

Nice review. Maybe you should get a 'studio' (big white paper is fine :laugh: ), so that you have a nice white background on all your pics when taking them.

This is... ..not my favourite set. :laugh: No especially useful pieces (except for the figs of course :wink: ) and ugly design. However I got it MISB for around $7 (found it in a very small toy store when I was on vacation last summer), so I´m not complaining over the price. :tongue:

I very much like the bucket. I took special notice to the top of it as it has the same compatible huge Lego brick studs just like the ones my niece started on when she was just starting to walk. We had 2 boxes and the lids have studs on them, great for using the lid as a plate. :classic:

Seems like this was so early on in SW LEGO history that they still thoght everything should be a horrible block. The pod's are so squared they look bad.

THe review is outstanding though, so many pictures!

Nice Review! This is the one set I had the chance to purchase on a super sale and I didnt... :cry_sad:. Hmm it was a pretty neat looking set back then but no matter what that aldar beedo will always be pathetic :grin:. I really love the pieces included though.