Sign in to follow this  
Dreamweb

Non-Pirate sets useful for Pirate fans

In this thread Sting mentioned about the existence of several Piratey sets. I agree that there are a few sets that have elements especially fitting for Pirate MOCs.

Apart from the set discussed in that thread (6493) which has really nice parts to build a ship, there are a few others. For example if you want to build a ship similar to the one from the Imperial Trading Post, you might want to get the Sea Serpent from the Castle line or the Emperor's Ship from Orient Expedition - they have those very cool 6-stud wide hull pieces, great for smaller ships.

I also recommend buying Jungle River - it gives you a grey boat you can't get in Pirate sets plus some parts useful in the Islanders subtheme. And the brown chest and chain can also be useful.

The hull piece I'd really like to have is the 10-stud wide one from Adventurers' River Expedition's ship - would be great for a custom Pirate vessel.

The ninja wall pieces often compliment pirate MOCs well, as such I would add to your list Flying Ninja Fortress. For a while Blaze Attack was the only current source of the Lego cannon and The Emperor's Stronghold is a nice selection of pirate appropriate pieces such as the rock pieces, tan bricks, and lots of small MOCable extras. The added advantage of the ninja sets (from a pirate standpoint) was that they came with pirate guns in black.

God Bless,

Nathan

Some ninja torsos and faces also work well in Pirate theme. In fact I remember this computer game called "Skull and Crossbones" where pirates fought ninjas so why not do the same in Lego world...

Some ninja torsos and faces also work well in Pirate theme. In fact I remember this computer game called "Skull and Crossbones" where pirates fought ninjas so why not do the same in Lego world...

I must admit I dislike almost all the ninja faces (except the rouges which I like, though you end up with a lot of eye patches...very pirate actually.)

God Bless,

Nathan

I recommend the Divers line because they have so many cool sea animals - octopuses, rays, different species of sharks, and you can also use the algae, BURPS and finally the pirate accesories that some of them have - treasure chests, barrels, sabres. Of course you'd have to think what to do with all those modern-looking elements.

I don't really see the cross over myself...

It contained pieces useful for building castle and pirate along with tan which is useful to almost everybody.

God Bless,

Nathan

Tan? What would I use tan for?

A large fort or beach is what seemed to be advocated in your fort thread... I use it for a lot of castle purposes...

God Bless,

Nathan

Are you making sand castles Mr Norro? :oD

As I recall, what was also advocated in the Beckam Fort Thread was tan wasn't a very good colour for a fort in the Caribbean. Personally I'd stick with white and yellow for my creations for I am a traditionalist.

Are you making sand castles Mr Norro?

You'll see a large amount (by my meager standards) of tan in my next MOC.

God Bless,

Nathan

Is it really a giant sand castle???

No, a town hall...

God Bless,

Nathan

Of a major Caribbean settlement?

Of a prosperous Royal Knight city. (shakes head)

God Bless,

Nathan

Yes keep shaking it. Oh why oh why would you make a Royal Knight city when you could make a major Caribbean settlement? Its baffling!

Anyway to return to the thread's topic, I've found a non-pirate set useful for pirate fans:

6075 Wolfpack Tower - just remove the mini-figures, their accessories and their flags, and everything else is just perfect for a piratical hideout.

Ahhhhhh... The good old SYSTEM days...

Ahhhhhh... The good old SYSTEM days...

Yes I have to agree. It was great when all sets were 80+% useful (piece wise) for any theme...

God Bless,

Nathan

Or sometimes with Castle and Pirate it was 95% - just replace the mini-figures and flags.

Rock Island Refuge was a prime example of this from a Castle perspective...

God Bless,

Nathan

Rock Island Refuge? Never heard of that before!

Spanish irony?!

God Bless,

Nathan