Sign in to follow this  
Fistach

MOC MHE Aircraft Loader

Hello! I would like to present my first Technic MOC ever!

Aircraft Loader - Material Handling Equipment

1a.jpg

Technical data:

Dimensions: Length: 80,5 cm / width 17,5 cm / Height: 16,5 cm (platform lowered, excluding antenna) 30 cm (platform raised, excluding antenna)

Max speed: 0,72 km/h

Turn radius: 68 cm

Weight: 2658 g

Suspension: none

Drive train

- steering - PF Medium

- 2 x PF XL

Other functions:

2 x PF medium - platform raising/lowering

Small pneumatic cylinder for opening the doors

This size and kind of trucks are used usually in conflict zones where the cargo plane after landing has to take off ASAP because on the airport it's sitting ducks. Hitting a plane like Hercules or Galaxy C-5 is quite easy (if you compare it to other objects) even with the RPG. It's obvious that such plane costs a fortune.

Why did I choose this kind of truck? The reason is very simple. I wanted to make something that was never built before from LEGO bricks. I've spent lot of time on brickshelf and couldn't find vehicle of the same kind:)

Let's go back to functions. As I said before there are not many. Although I'm really satisfied with the chassis and drivetrain, I'm still not satisfied with the platform raising lowering. It was luck of parts (I've literally three black beams left) and what's more important - lack of experience. I didn't manage to balance the front of the platform and it's tilted to the left a bit. It takes much more time to raise front than back of the platform. To balance the platform I filled the backup wheel with black pins - it really helped. On the platform you may find some rollers to allow better movement of the cargo crates.

The truck has 5 axles. 1,2,5 are steering axles and 3,4 are driving axles. No suspension :( Two PF XL motors handle the weight of the truck with ease even if you put a 4996 Beach House on top these still have huge reserve of power.

The cabin is provided with the pneumatically opened doors. The pump is on the bottom on purpose - I wanted the platform to weight as much as it was only possible. The doors open from 0 to 90 degrees.

In the rear there are lights - in red colour. There is a cable attached to the front but I didn't manage to buy the next pair of lights yet :(

How to take off the battery box is written on the photo.

Gallery

Link: O tutaj :)

Click thumbnails for deep links.

1.jpg_thumb.jpg 2.jpg_thumb.jpg 3.jpg_thumb.jpg 4.jpg_thumb.jpg

5.jpg_thumb.jpg6.jpg_thumb.jpg7.jpg_thumb.jpg8.jpg_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately you may see the lack of experience but as I said before: this is my first technic MOC EVER and the first one since the Dark Age :) Beofre I only had the 8042

8042b.jpg

Please share any comments & constructive critics.

my email: fistachpl@gmail.com

This is a work to be proud of especially considering it is your first MOC. Very well done.

I'm not even sure I've seen pictures of such a vehicle before, but I can imagine the usefulness of this kind of airport-vehicle.

I must say that to me this looks like a bigger project, creating a vehicle of this size and with several functions. Certainly not something I would consider even trying, and yes I am myself working on my first "real" Technic moc.

Great to see technic work shared here on EB.

Very nice work! I happen to work at a large aircraft manufacturer so I see this kind of equipment every day. I like the multi-axle steering and lifting the platform is a perfect use of the linear actuators. On most cargo loaders, the driver's cabin does not raise with the platform, but there are exceptions.

As long as you are taking on big, unusual aircraft related projects, a natural extension of this would be the huge loader used in conjunction with the 747 LCF (Large Cargo Freighter). It is very similar to what you built.

060612d_pr2.jpg

The only official LEGO product I've seen along these lines is the 8454 airport fire truck.

8454isosmall.jpg

This is quite large and impressive, and even more so for a first MOC. :thumbup: The pneumatic door is especially unique and something I haven't seen before in a Technic model.

I have always thought that the various types of ground support vehicles for planes have a lot of potential for interesting Technic models, but haven't seen many of them on Brickshelf.

A very original and ambitious work with a lot of interesting details and a great amount of functionality. Very well done! :thumbup:

Thank you guys for the warm words.

I completely forgot to write that I based on 60 k tunner loader loader11.jpg and it has the cabin raised along with the platform :)

Personally I thought that this truck has got a very small number of functions so I'm really surprised by your words:

A very original and ambitious work with a lot of interesting details and a great amount of functionality.

But of course, I'm glad to hear that.

I have always thought that the various types of ground support vehicles for planes have a lot of potential for interesting Technic models, but haven't seen many of them on Brickshelf.

Yeah that's sad true but we've got mine on brickshelf. Lugpol (polish lug) member declared that he will make sth like this - not Technic though but System. I can't wait to see the result, he is very good.

Personally I thought that this truck has got a very small number of functions so I'm really surprised by your words:

Well, pneumatics, motors, steering and some lights sooner or later sounds not bad to me,

but of course I´m more the System kind of guy... :tongue:

For a first MOC, you have done a very good job. I like the model and it's something that hasn't been made before I believe. I love new things that have never been done before.