starstreak

Review: 8154 Brick Street Customs

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

This review will be on the 8154 Lego Brick Street Customs. I got this set as a really good deal for the price. I was going to use it for parts set, but.. It has cars! I just had to put them together with the stickers to see what it looks like. This box was OPEN when I bought it, but all the pieces are here.

Set Name: 8154 Lego Brick Street Customs

Theme: Racers

Released: 2008

Pieces: 1021

Price: $85.99/63.45euro/59.55pounds

Wanna see some pictures? Let's start with the normal box arts and manuals!

8154 Box Front

3356679539_966cefc8ed.jpg

Yes, that's really 1021 pieces for less than $70. (Click on pic for larger photo)

8154 Box Rear

3357501900_a30c1475b9.jpg

8 cars! 3 Buildings! And a whole lot of extra car parts.(Click on pic for larger photo)

8154 Instruction Book

3357518128_6666e80b0a.jpg

Two books. Easy reading. Everything is big and easy to read.(Click on pic for larger photo)

8154 Parts Pages

3357521250_57557b1c3c.jpg

3357523544_97d929ce11.jpg

All 1000+ parts.(Click on pic for larger photo)

8154 Parts Bags

3356688821_49a48685d0.jpg

3356692219_4b765d1acb.jpg

3356695625_608cb80e0b.jpg

A whole lot of bags. A total of 10+ two plates. Yes, it says bag 6 is the highest but there are multiple bags with the same number.(Click on pic for larger photo)

8154 Two Sticker sheets

3356710249_5c4f9f3628.jpg

Wow. There are stickers galor! To make each car different, there are many stickers to use. My sticker sheet wasn't complete. It was missing a sticker and while in the box the sheet was bent. Needless to say, some stickers when applied are peeling off. Kinda sad about that. Also, get help if you have poor hand-eye cordination. Some stickers fit exactly in the spot it belongs and are pretty small. Like 1x1 stud small. (Click on pic for larger photo)

The Build

There is many cars and buildings to build. To keep things clean, I'm doing a simple build contact sheet. The order of the pictures are the order of the build from the book. So if you notice a car by itself, it's because that's how it was in the instructions.

The cars (most of them)

3376639949_e26c27b0e1_o.jpg

3377455588_a2735ca4b4_o.jpg

3376640091_13065a9783_o.jpg

The first 6 cars. The green van is cool. I liked it. Seems like something a VW would make. The nose on the yellow sports car is interesting. Reminds me of a Dodge. You'll get to see a better view in some dioramas later in this review. The classic car is nice as you get the custom radiator and the blue sports car here at the bottom has a front spoiler.

TRUCK AND TRAILER PICS

3378157296_fc29f7c48d_o.jpg

3378157464_3b8ce0def0_o.jpg

I found it interesting that none of the cars, including the truck used clear/smoked bricks for windows. This truck uses a solid piece of black brick. I also like those white pieces that are used in the flatbed that has the little lip on the end. Looks very clean. It's the same part they use for the lifts and car stands.

The SPEED Shop

3376640155_f8ebdd9668_o.jpg

3377455998_8d43bf22dd_o.jpg

The SPEED Shop. Nothing fancy. Gives you a showroom to park a car at an angle to see out the front windows. And tires and aftermarket car parts to be shown out of the other window.

The "lonely car"

3377219173_8c82a0329a_o.jpg

I guess this was built in this step so you would use the car as a display model for one of the stores. Lots of decales for this car. Look closely and you can see a "stickered" hoodscoop.

Fuel4 Speed store

3377456120_a063ed4493_o.jpg

3377456212_be419a9f43_o.jpg

I guess you can consider this the local gas station. The pumps have fuel lines and the store has a tire display, fire extinguisher, and even a Soda Machine.

BCS Workshop

3376640629_819700392c_o.jpg

3376640713_de8f196a68_o.jpg

Now what car mod set would be complete without the workshop. The sidewall (get it? sidewall? lol) swings open so you can get to the extra tires mounted on the wall. The car lift has a lever that can move the lift up and down for some serious car work. They were even so kind to give you the air lines for working on your car.

Final Photos

3383530892_0126d70e4c.jpg

Top view. Of course you can set this up anyway you want.(Click on pic for larger photo)

3383718766_1b07728f49.jpg

Front view.(Click on pic for larger photo)

3383529392_8236fb3ded.jpg

Back view.(Click on pic for larger photo)

3383115903_cffb6a03a4.jpg

Front view of the cars.(Click on pic for larger photo)

3383114229_1c27e18999.jpg

Front view of the cars.(Click on pic for larger photo)

3383115041_ee3af9531a.jpg

Rear view of the cars.(Click on pic for larger photo)

3383116851_28773ea3f6.jpg

Rear view of the cars.(Click on pic for larger photo)

Features

With so many cars, they only gave you a few aftermarket pieces to modify them. But the set does work well. Store doors that open. Hey. If you think about it, the human that would fit the height of the door would be too tall to fit into the cars. They do give alot of tires. Speaking of tires, this set has at least three different sizes. The classic car, has skinny front tires and large slicks for the rear. And the rest of the cars all have low profile tires. Some tires have writing on them, but yet, some don't.

Issues

Besides having this scale be a bit off, meaning its not for minifigs, it would seem the stores are made for the minifigs or larger. Yet none of the cars could fit one. Also, while all the cars are to scale, they would be a little "off" scale when you have them lined up. Example would be that the Truck should be bigger, yet it has the same size tires as the cars. And some of the sport cars doesn't look like it could fit the same person that would fit into the truck. But if you squint... all looks fine and very much playable.

Only other thing that bothered me was, for a set that required heavly on the stickers to give a realistic feel, they should've found a way to pack it into the box so it wouldn't get damaged.

My rating:

Playability: 4 out of 5. It's cars. You push it, it rolls. And they give you enough stores to work your imagination.

Design: 3 out of 5. Everybody who saw the cars thought they were neat. But the scale just didn't always match.

Build experience: 2 out of 5. Everything was easy to put together. But get someone to help you with the stickers if you're bad at putting them on.

Overall: 3.5 of 5. Buy it if you like the series. Price per pieces are good. Now, you can get a set for about $70. That's less than the "normal" .10cents a piece by a lot.

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

I had the fabulous opportunity to help my friend's son build this set a few months ago.

My favorite vehicle is the van, and the coolest part about the set is the vehicle lift.

Nice review!

:classic:

Nice review, thanks! Could you maybe put some minifigs into the stores to show how good the set would work for minifig size?

Ah. Nice idea. I didn't even think of that as I didn't want to confuse anybody in thinking a minifig came with the set.

I really wish I had a green backdrop. At least I might have been able to drop the set into a "road" background or something.

Nice review, thanks! Could you maybe put some minifigs into the stores to show how good the set would work for minifig size?

ACCURATEin-

Yeah, the van was neat. It just looked the part. Although the sticker to the back was just so-so.

Nice review Starstreak. I did move this from Trains & Town to OTHER THEMES though, where the RACERS theme is posted.

I don't own any Racers sets, but I really applaud Lego for trying to capture the Hotwheel/Matchbox car fans with sets like this. I think it looks very nice and have been looking at it in the Toy Stores for some time. I really like that grey coupe (my favorite of the cars).

Thanks for taking the time to review this set. It looks great! :thumbup:

Thanks for the comment and the relocation to the new "home" for it. :tongue:

Nice review Starstreak. I did move this from Trains & Town to OTHER THEMES though, where the RACERS theme is posted.

I don't own any Racers sets, but I really applaud Lego for trying to capture the Hotwheel/Matchbox car fans with sets like this. I think it looks very nice and have been looking at it in the Toy Stores for some time. I really like that grey coupe (my favorite of the cars).

Thanks for taking the time to review this set. It looks great! :thumbup:

I want it !

this set will completing my tiny turbo collections

I already have tuner garage, bridge chase, bullet run.

If you have a sticker missing and the sheet was folded in the box, maybe it came off in the box? (This happened to me once) It can stick to the bags or the inside of the box. Just a little heads up anyway.

Cool review, I've never been fond of the micro scale cars but they do look rather spiffy.

Yuppers. I checked the inside of the box, the instructions and the bags. Not there. Weird.

If you have a sticker missing and the sheet was folded in the box, maybe it came off in the box? (This happened to me once) It can stick to the bags or the inside of the box. Just a little heads up anyway.

Cool review, I've never been fond of the micro scale cars but they do look rather spiffy.

I really like this set, and hope maybe I can find it cheap one day. All of the cars are fantastic, and the building seems to be minifig scale (unlike the cars :sceptic:) Great review, thanks for sharing.

Great review. I have this set, in fact I now have a complete collection of TT sets built up over the last few months - as an AFOL I have really fallen for this line. I find the fact that the cars, truck and buildings are not in scale to each other quite deliberate and part of the appeal, I remember all those Matchbox/Corgi/Dinky toys I had as a boy, with those huge garages you'd never see in real life - those were the same.

Stickers are part and parcel of the TT experience, so I always buy spare sheets on BL. Since your sheet appears to be damaged in the box I would ring or email Lego and get them to send you a replacement.

Great review. I have this set, in fact I now have a complete collection of TT sets built up over the last few months - as an AFOL I have really fallen for this line. I find the fact that the cars, truck and buildings are not in scale to each other quite deliberate and part of the appeal, I remember all those Matchbox/Corgi/Dinky toys I had as a boy, with those huge garages you'd never see in real life - those were the same.

Stickers are part and parcel of the TT experience, so I always buy spare sheets on BL. Since your sheet appears to be damaged in the box I would ring or email Lego and get them to send you a replacement.

All these years in buying Lego and I never ordered a replacement part. I did email them for once. Hopefully they will send me a new sheet.

i actually like this set :thumbup: i like the whole tiny turbos line. its just that they're all overpriced

Soooo.... will you post a pic of the set with a minfig or not? :tongue:

Ops. Sorry. It'll be a "or not". I took it apart already. :)

My second most wanted set in the world! (First is 8147 Bullet Run). Great review, this is just what I was lookin' for!!! :laugh::tongue:

Ops. Sorry. It'll be a "or not". I took it apart already. :)

You know... the funny thing about Lego is that you can rebuild it anytime you want... :tongue: