Sign in to follow this  
Future74

Republic Anti Tank Artillery (ATA)

indexed.gif

Using my old lego bricks and a few pieces lend from my SW sets I found a way to participate in the contest.

The design

Again “keep it simple” was my starting point. Seeing the canons used in episode III onboard the Acclamator cruiser and in episode IV onboard the Death Star, I thought of artillery pieces. Yes, they are on the battlefield of the SW universe, but only as self propelled artillery. No loose pieces. And considering these were widely used in our own past, dating back to the medieval era, I took a good look at WWII to get inspired.

Here is the Republic ATA (Anti Tank Artillery)

Consisting of only 34 pieces.

ata-6.jpg

Background story.

In the face of the droid army with its numerous Armored Assault Tanks the Grand Army of the Republic was in desperately in need of an simple, light, easy to produce, cheap and yet effective countermeasure against armour. As the strategy in the beginning of the Clone Wars was not to conquer but to defend, the weapon would have no need of a driving capability. Making it small and light would have the benefit that it could be transported by the LAAT/i together with it’s crew making it flexible and easy to deploy.

This gun can be placed in open field, hidden within buildings/bunkers, or camouflaged within woods making it suitable for use on planets with all types of environments except for water. Watch out AAT’s!

Front

ata-1-front.jpg

Right

ata-2-right.jpg

Left

ata-3-left.jpg

Back

ata-4-back.jpg

ata-5-top.jpg

All pictures can be found in this Brickshelf gallery, when public.

Hope you’ll enjoy it. :sweet:

Very WWII-ish (which the original stormtroopers and Empire were partially based on) Nice to see just a rolling weapon, instead of some kind of hovercraft or walker like most other entries (including mine).

Great way to make a Artillery tank :thumbup: I really like how you put the republic symbol on the wheel

Also great solution on how to use the binoculars :thumbup:

Good luck on the contest!

Too bad this isn’t a WWII contest. Excellent gun just not very SWU in my opinion.

Very WWII-ish (which the original stormtroopers and Empire were partially based on)

I Think storm troopers were based on Hitler's personal army in which the soldiers were called stormtroops :grin: (Correct me if im wrong please)

I agree its very WWII ish but i like the insignia on the wheels

Yes, it looks very much like the 120mm Anti tank gun.

Great work!

@baby; thanks, I like it simple.

@Clone O'Patra; agreed, see below.

@CommanderCody77; Thanks, there was no place to put the republic insignia anywhere else :laugh:

@CommanderCody77; No other way to fit the binoculars to a clone so I came up with this: someone has to guide the gun :grin:

@Rook; I know, shame it isn’t a WWII contest. Would have won definitly :wink:

@Roncanator; yes, that's an example from WWII inspiration in the SW theme.

@Zorro; thanks.

Thanks all. It's based on a WWII anti tank gun 7.5cm PaK40 and could have been entered in a WWII contest, but it isnt. It's so basic that in my opinion it would fit in the SW universe. As it says on Wookieepedia lots of vehicles, characters and storylines from SW are based on WWII or human history.

I've seen some great anti-tank guns in France when I visited Normandy.

Edited by Future74

A great simple MOC.

I love this one :wub:

Artillery rocks!

All is good and well :thumbup:

A great simple MOC.

I love this one :wub:

Artillery rocks!

All is good and well :thumbup:

Thanks! Agreed!

No changes before closure.

As for the competition: Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. :grin:

It was fun participating and think that some amazing MOCs were made because of it :sweet:

Edited by Future74