Dragonator

ARTICLE: BrickArms Part 1

00banner.jpg

The Race for Armament - Part 1

An Article and Review by Dragonator

In the last few years minifig customization has become more and more a central part of the Lego community, with many individuals working on their own custom minifigs at home, and even some people taking it that step further and producing custom equipment for Lego enthusiasts to enjoy. BrickArms LLC (from here just called BrickArms) is an excellent example of a home-run business which produces custom minifig-compatible weapons for our favourite little men, and this article will focus predominantly on reviewing some of the upcoming products BrickArms will be offering, as well as discussing a bit about the company itself.

So what, you might ask, is BrickArms? According to Will Chapman, the owner and operator of the company and long-time AFOL, BrickArms is "a small toy company specializing in original, custom designed Lego-compatible weapons and custom minifigs." The company is based at Will's home in Redmond WA in the United States of America, where Will is helped by his wife and three sons to design the toys and prepare them for delivery. The company was founded in 2006 when Will's youngest son, then aged 9, requested that his Dad design some World War II weapons for him. And the rest, is history.

One other notable figure in the BrickArms team is the enigma that is badger, normally just addressed as Badger. Badger is the official company spokesperson, and is the one many of us are familiar with for getting the word out about upcoming products and general news about the company. It was Badger who was kind enough to send me a parcel containing a few prototypes for upcoming products, and it is the contents of this package which I will be reviewing as part of this article.

At the moment BrickArms offers a number of products for order through their online website, including 31 different weapons, a number of weapon packs, and a variety of custom minifigs. All of the products produced by BrickArms are of the highest quality, made in the exact same way as Lego products, with injection moulding and lots of hot ABS plastic. BrickArms also has a small amount of other merchandise available, including T-shirts, dog tags and vinyl decals.

Now, let's move on to the most exciting part of the article, the review of upcoming products! I invited a few friends to help model the weapons, so sit back and enjoy the show.

The Complete Set

03set.jpg

In the above picture you will see all the contents of my parcel. In this part I will cover all the firing weapons, and then I will focus on the rest in Part 2 of this article.

Firing Weapons

The Guns

04guns.jpg

The guns, in all their glory. That's a lot of fire power right there! Certainly lots to see, so let's get cracking.

"Free" Weapon

05olive-green.jpg

One of the really neat perks about buying from BrickArms is that with every order you make you are guaranteed to receive a randomly selected free weapon in a limited edition colour. The weapons above are in one of the new colours, olive-green, which has been available for the last couple of months. Other colours which you could receive include dark blue grey, medium grey, nickel silver metallic, gold, medium green and light grey. This is a very nice gesture from Will, and is also nice because currently the weapons are only available in black, with a few available in silver as part of the Limited Edition Silver Weapons Pack. It is however understood that BrickArms is likely to release its weapons in some other colours some time this year, so that is certainly something exciting to look forward to! While black is very cool and traditional, it is always nice to have some choice in the colour palette.

Also in this photo you can see the BrickArms monopod and bipod, both of which are very useful accessories for the BrickArms weapons, allowing them to be held in different ways, positioned on the ground etc. Those are a very nice idea, and I love them!

The Bazooka and High-Explosives Round

06bazooka.jpg

Here we see the first of the prototypes to be reviewed. Let's start with the Bazooka, a weapon which BrickArms fans have been keen for for quite some time. This wonderful bad-boy is big, standing just a little taller than the average minifig. It incorporates motifs from both the M1 and the M9 bazookas to create a versatile accessory for any minifig. One of the best features of this, in my opinion, is the incorporation of a stock, which really adds something to this, making it more than just a black tube with a handle. You've also got to love the flair at the end of this thing, I mean that's just awesome!

07bazooka.jpg

Here we can see a side view, and I must say that although it is big, it seems to fit the Lego scale perfectly. The only draw back is that a minifig can only grip the thing by the handle and not by the actual barrel, as it is a little thicker, however this was done to make the scale fit better and look more realistic, and this happens with a lot of Will's designs. Will also designed a high-explosives round to compliment the bazooka, and although you can't actually put it inside the gun(unless you mod it, of course), it still makes a very nice accessory. One of the really neat things about this round is that the tail end fits perfectly into a technique axle hole. It's little details like that which really grip me, the sort of things you only discover after a bit of messing around with the item in question.

08bazooka.jpg

You may well note that the silver high-explosives round has a green streak in it. This is caused because these prototypes are produced by Will himself at home, and he likes to experiment in colour swirling to create one-of-a-kind marbled effects. Will owns his own CNC (Computer Numerically Controlled) machine for cutting his own moulds in aluminium, as well as a small hand-crank injection moulder for filling them. He often uses ground up Lego bricks as his source of ABS plastic, giving a perfect colour match. A very cool idea.

You may also note that the minifig modelling above does not seem familiar. That is because it is one of the number of various minifigs available from BrickArms, sporting custom decals and coming with a few BrickArms weapons too. This particular one is a German WWII soldier, and it is possible to purchase other WWII minifigs including Germans and Americans, as well as a number of bandits and police officers. Will also creats limited edition minifigs which are only available at the events that he goes to, so if you are lucky enough to attend one, look out for what he has. These have included a Chief, Medic, Paratrooper, and even a Tommy.

The Colt Navy Pistol and Derringer

09western.jpg

Two very, very nice western side-arms, the Colt Navy Pistol and the compact Derringer. These are just the things Wild West fanatics have been waiting for, and I must say that even I am taken by them, and I'm not so much a Western lad.

10cnp.jpg

Let's start with the CNP (Colt Navy Pistol). This has a very nice design, with a good length barrel and some excellent attention detail which we see in all BrickArms products. In think the detail on the cylinder is impressive, and as you can see in the photo below, a minifig can also grip the cylinder:

11cnp.jpg

Now isn't that cool? I do almost wonder if this item is actually very, very slightly too big, but that is probably just because I have displayed it along side what I believe to be the smallest BrickArms weapon, the derringer.

12derringer.jpg

Now this is just cute. Look at it! The thing is tiny! And for such a small weapon it sure packs in a lot of detail. The first time I saw this I thought that it was perhaps a bit too small, but I have come to like it's little nature. Remember that big things come in small packages. In reality, this gun is tiny, and it is the perfect size to be concealed in a briefcase or to be realistically pulled out of a minifig pocket. Now, take another look at that and tell me it isn't gorgeous. I also think that this works really well in silver; it will be interesting to see what it looks like in black if it is produced in that way.

The MGL (Grenade Launcher) and Ammo Clip

13mgl.jpg

Now this is a nice gun. It looks good, it fits the scale well, and it just reeks of powerful explosives. This gun is quite chunky compared to some of the other weapons, and this contrasts with the very thin stock. I'm not sure if I like this so much, it looks a bit thin, but I presume that that is because of the design of the weapon this is based off. Despite that this is a really cool weapon, with also sorts of detailed features such as the scope, the trigger guard and the large drum.

14mgl.jpg

As you can see the gun fits the contours of a minifig perfectly, with the stock being the exact right length, and the handle at a nice angle. You can see that a lot of time must be spent getting this exactly right. Another cool thing about this is that the drum piece is removable. Take a look below.

15mgl.jpg

In the last three photographs you will have noticed the small ammo clip that the soldier is holding. This is a very cool piece, and although it can't actually be used in any of the guns, it makes a nice accessory for a touch of added realism. And again, the detail is great!

16gangster.jpg

I like this gun so much I decided it needed two minifigs to models. So above is our local gangster come to try it out. I wouldn't want to mess with him.

Well, that's all the upcoming firing prototypes I have to share with you. There are of course many others Will has in the makings, it's just that I don't have them to review. Anyway, here is a list of some of the other upcoming items with a couple of comments on each.

The Panzerfaust - very nice in my opinion, although quite plain. It has no handle, as is correct to the real one, however a BrickArms monopod easily fixes this.

The Gunblade - this is an awesome looking Sci-Fi weapon, and I really do hope it is released, because I would love to get a few. I've always had a passion for Science Fiction, and this is just sweet. Really nicely detailed, and well designed.

The Ammo Chain - this is a really neat concept, which combines the HE rounds with two sizes of U-clip (covered in part 2) to make a very cool ammo chain.

Time Bomb - this is a fairly new item t be revealed, and it has already grabbed my attention for its simple genious. The design is of course not finalized, but at the moment it consists of two red sticks of dynamite and a small grey control panel, possibly removable.

MG42 - aka the buzzsaw. This is a very unique weapon and very different from most of the guns from BrickArms. I understand there will also be an ammo chain for this, probably revealed at BrickFest this month. I'm eager to see what it will look like, for the gun is pretty sweet.

Frag Grenage - another grade type, with the "pineapple" shape. Looks pretty nice, although the design is still in the works I think.

Brodie Helmet - now this is cool, and really a nice piece for all you lovers of the good old Tommie. I understand that this helmet was available with a special minifig at one of the events BrickArms attended last year, and it was well received.

Lewis Gun - this has to be by far one of the best upcoming prototypes, and I honestly cannot wait for it to become available. With a removable round magazine and fantastic attention to detail, this is really historically accurate and a true masterpiece. Probably my favourite upcoming firing weapon I'd say.

M1917 Revolver - a classic revolver. Much like the CNP, it has a cylinder which can be gripped.

And if I am correct, that is everything for the upcoming firing weapons. I'm sorry I don't have pictures of those last few, but you can find most of them on the BrickArms Forums. This is probably a good time to mention that yes, BrickArms does have its own little forum, where Will and Badger, along with their team of moderators, are happy to discuss their products and see what you think of them. You can also find official announcements and information about policies and event attendance etc here too. BrickArms is currently set to attend BrickFest this weekend in Portland, OR, as well as BrickWorld and BrickCon later in the year. Be sure to look out for them if you are lucky enough to be going.

The MP7

17mp7.jpg

I would like to finish off part 1 of this article with a look at a discontinued item from last year, the MP7. This is a very nice gun which is unfortunately no longer available from BrickArms for reasons beyond their control. Nevertheless, it is a well designed gun, and I think the slightly lesser amount of detail works well with it. You may also note the flat silver colour of this and some of the other items featured in this article, as opposed to the "flecked" silver colour of earlier designs. It is my understanding that BrickArms plans to make the flat silver their main silver colour and do away with the flecked version. Just something more to think on.

18mp7.jpg

Note that this gun has a short stock but it still fits a minifig really nicely. It is a shame that this is not available any more.

Well that concludes part 1 of this article on BrickArms. Look out for part 2 in a couple of weeks, which will cover bladed weapons, Sci-Fi weapons, and miscellaneous items, as well as a bit on the over-moulding process.

Feel free to share your thoughts on these upcoming items, and again a big thank you to Badger for providing them.

KyogreDragon2.gif-ator

Good review Dragonator, I really want some of those weapons now!

Nice review Draggy :classic:

I love all those silver guns especially the SPAS12Combat Shotgun & G36BrickArms Assualt Carbine.

Especially since I have a Combat Shotgun myself but in Black. :cry_happy:

Also just wonder how'd you get all those sweet prototypes & cool colours?

Nice review you lucky M@#$^&(#%@$ :hmpf_bad::tongue: . I might just have to get some of those grenade launchers, and a few ammo clips.

Outstanding article Dragonator! You know which two I like. Now I want one of those Colts (hell, even that mini Derringer looks great).

Well done! :thumbup:

Ugh. I really like Brickarms, but Will starts to tell us about new weapons, and never releases them for like... ever. (And I also feel like the BA staff gives free prototypes to everybody but me)

Thanx for the review Dragonator. :thumbup:

I thought Will was going to release the gunblade too?

You wouldn't happen to know would you Dragonator?

My favorite prototype is the scimitar. :wub:

Looking forward to those being released.

Interesting article.

Still I don't like those cowboy guns, they don't fit in with the regular ones.

Nice review, Draggy. :thumbup: I really like that colt, and the grenade launcher is nice as well. Can't wait for part 2!

Nice Work you hv done!

But for those who r live far away in Australia. Brickarm is really expensive! :tongue: :tongue:

Thanks for all the great comments guys. :classic:

Also just wonder how'd you get all those sweet prototypes & cool colours?[/color]

As I said in the third paragraph, Badger was kind enough to provide them for me.

I thought Will was going to release the gunblade too?

You wouldn't happen to know would you Dragonator?

That gunblade sure is sweet! As I understand it, it is most likely going to be mass produced, but I think there is still some work going on in terms of design. I can't seem to find an official statement anywhere sorry, but I'll see if I can find out and confirm for you.

My favorite prototype is the scimitar. :wub:

I really like it too, and I'm sure I'll have plenty to say in part 2 on it. :wink:

That gunblade sure is sweet! As I understand it, it is most likely going to be mass produced, but I think there is still some work going on in terms of design. I can't seem to find an official statement anywhere sorry, but I'll see if I can find out and confirm for you.

I really like it too, and I'm sure I'll have plenty to say in part 2 on it. :wink:

Those as yet un-reviewed prototypes are Halo weapons, are they not? Is Brickarms going to be releasing Halo figures in conjuncture?

Great review--very nice details.

~M~

I think I can help out by going ahead and giving you guys an official statement on the Gunblade:

It's not done. The initial prototype was well-liked, but Will felt it still needed some work, so it's being revised. So it's currently not in production, but it's still kicking around and has not been forgotten, nor the fans that really liked it.

Great review, Dragonator. I'm looking forward to Part II, as Badg and I both pushed pretty heavily for the bladed weapons and we're both stoked to see fan reaction to them.

I think I can help out by going ahead and giving you guys an official statement on the Gunblade:

It's not done. The initial prototype was well-liked, but Will felt it still needed some work, so it's being revised. So it's currently not in production, but it's still kicking around and has not been forgotten, nor the fans that really liked it.

Great review, Dragonator. I'm looking forward to Part II, as Badg and I both pushed pretty heavily for the bladed weapons and we're both stoked to see fan reaction to them.

Thanks for the head-up, and welcome to EB, Damien :thumbup:

LuxorV

Great review on these wonderful Brickarm products. But how did you get a hold of ex, the energy sword or paintball gun?

LegoKing

I think you'd be fine commenting on this thread started by our very own Dragonator. It's easier to view all opinions, and causes less of a hassle searching on the boards when there is only one thread.

YAY! wave 2 for 2009!

My favorites are the MGLs, Lewis Guns, and the Bazookas. :devil:

What are yours?

I have merged your topic with Dragonator's review, to consolidate views and comments in one single location. Please continue the discussion in here. Thanks.