7186 Watto's Junkyard

Name: Watto's Junkyard

Theme: Star Wars Episode I

Set Number: 7186

Pieces: 466

Year released: 2001

Minifigures: 2

Price: Can't remember, but $50.00 according to Peeron

Personally I really like this set, but it has one flaw.

First up is the instruction manual.

IMG_6314.jpg

Back.

IMG_6315.jpg

Minifig page.

IMG_6316.jpg

A random page.

IMG_6317.jpg

There's also a nicely drawn comic at the end of the manual.

IMG_6318.jpg

Now we move on to the awesome minifigs; Watto, the Toydarian dealer from episodes I and II and Aldar Beedo, a podracer pilot who actually ended up in third place in the Boonta Eve Classic.

IMG_6327.jpg

Watto is only available in this set. He looks good, but he could have used a little more colour. The transparent brick that he is standing on is meant to create the illusion that he is hovering in mid-air.

IMG_6323.jpg

Watto with a printed tile that's supposed to be that computer thingy that he has with him in "The Phantom Menace".

IMG_6324.jpg

Watto without the transparent brick.

IMG_6320.jpgIMG_6321.jpg

And without his head!

IMG_6322.jpg

Then we have Aldar Beedo. It's nice that LEGO included this pretty unimportant character in this set. As for myself, I really like him because I always chose him (and Gasgano) when I played "Star Wars: Episode I - Racer" back in the day.

Here's a pic of him: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Aldar_beedo.jpg

IMG_6325.jpgIMG_6326.jpg

Next up is Beedo's podracer, a MARK IV Flat-Twin Turbojet according to Wookieepedia (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/MARK_IV_Flat-Twin_Turbojet).

IMG_6328.jpg

Front view.

IMG_6329.jpg

One of the engines.

IMG_6330.jpg

The flaps can open and close.

IMG_6331.jpgIMG_6349.jpg

IMG_6332.jpg

More shots of the engines.

IMG_6337.jpgIMG_6351.jpg

IMG_6338.jpg

Beedo's cockpit.

IMG_6333.jpg

Moveable 'wings'.

IMG_6339.jpg

Close-up of a printed piece that is only available in this set.

IMG_6334.jpg

Another shot of the cockpit.

IMG_6336.jpg

Next we have the parts of Mawhonic's podracer, the GPE-3130 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/GPE-3130). It's a shame that Mawhonic isn't included in this set though we can't expect LEGO to make three new molds for a single set.

Anyway, here's a pic of the man: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Image:Mawhonic2.jpg

IMG_6381.jpg

One of the engines.

IMG_6354.jpg

A close-up of an exclusive piece.

IMG_6355.jpg

A closed engine.

IMG_6357.jpg

And an open one.

IMG_6358.jpg

Both of the engines open.

IMG_6359.jpg

A printed tile.

IMG_6356.jpg

The tiles next to each other.

IMG_6360.jpg

Mawhonic's cockpit, although I'm afraid it will remain empty.

IMG_6363.jpgIMG_6364.jpg

Backside of the cockpit.

IMG_6365.jpg

Now here's the strange thing about this set. To assemble Mawhonic's podracer you have to take apart Beedo's podracer! Here's one engine off.

IMG_6368.jpg

I've also removed the other engine plus the cockpit.

IMG_6369.jpg

Here's Mawhonic's podracer added on to the frame.

IMG_6371.jpg

I think it looks really neat, but I can't understand why LEGO didn't inlcuded another body. They even had three of them in #7171 Mos Espa Podrace!

IMG_6372.jpg

The cockpit with the cables attached.

IMG_6373.jpg

Engines.

IMG_6374.jpg

I don't know what these pieces are for. Guess it's just junk. It is after all Watto's junkyard!

IMG_6382.jpg

And then we have the final part of the set. A sort of exterior to Watto's Junkyard. It isn't much but it's a nice bonus.

IMG_6375.jpgIMG_6377.jpg

Some tools that the racers can use to fix their pods. This set could have used a Pit Droid.

IMG_6376.jpg

There are supposed to be three things in the box; a drill, a grey plate and this wrench http://media.peeron.com/ldraw/images/0/6246e.png.

I seem to have misplaced it.

IMG_6378.jpg

And finally, a look at the complete set.

IMG_6380.jpg

Price: 8/10 - Good price for the amount of pieces.

Parts: 8/10 - A couple of rare and exclusive parts.

Playability: 9/10 - You can build two different podracers (though I am not a fan of it) and they are very swooshable! It's also a great companion set to #7171 Mos Espa Podrace.

Minifigs: 10/10 - Two exclusive figures. What's to complain about?

Final: 9/10 - A wonderful set.

Edited by Mischa07

Looks good! I'd love to see updates of the pod racers.

Can you finish the second pod racer with the pieces in Watto Junkyard? The beige pieces look about the same as the pod racer frame.

It seems stupid that you have to break apart 1 of the pod racers to complete the other 1. just seems lazy on legos behalf :sceptic:

It seems stupid that you have to break apart 1 of the pod racers to complete the other 1. just seems lazy on legos behalf :sceptic:

Maybe the point is that since this is Watto's Junkyard, you are supposed to be cannibalising one podracer to fix the other?

Great review! All the detailed pics and glimpses of the unique printed parts for this set are fantastic!

Thank you so much for reviewing this! I am a huge Podracing fan and I can't believe I missed out on this set! It's really nice.

To assemble Mawhonic's podracer you have to take apart Beedo's podracer!

Wrong. Have you ever wondered why Watto's Junkyard looks so cruddy and why there are extra cables and trans-orange pieces and why both pods are shown complete in the corner of the box art? It's because the junkyard exterior is really an alternate model of the stand of Mawhonic's podracer! :wink:

Two exclusive figures. What's to complain about?

Mawhonic isn't in the set! That's what. This was our one chance to get a Gran fig, but TLC denied us this pleasure. But I guess you're right in saying that getting two exclusive species in one set is enough. Also, Watto would have looked so much nicer with a little printing, and the set could have used a Pit Droid or two as you said. :sadnew:

IMG_6360.jpg

Mawhonic's podracer aka. The PacMan racer! :laugh:

Again, thanks for the review. Could you please add the rest of the comic? That would be great! :sweet:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Thanks for the review Mishcha07! :classic:

Personally I really like this set, but it has one flaw.

But what is the flaw (you didn't explain it in the review)? Is it that there's only one frame for the podracers, that there's no Mawhonic minifigure, or something else? :look:

Keep on posting reviews of old sets! :wink:

EDIT:

Wrong. Have you ever wondered why Watto's Junkyard looks so cruddy and why there are extra cables and trans-orange pieces? It's because it's really an alternate model of the body of Mawhonic's podracer! :wink:

Do you mean that you're supposed to take apart those tan arches and other parts to make another podracer?

Edited by ILikePi

Now here's the strange thing about this set. To assemble Mawhonic's podracer you have to take apart Beedo's podracer!

As others seem to have pointed out, you can make the pod from the parts from the junkyard, so you can have 2 nice complete pod's. I personally really like this set, and got it for a good price. :cry_happy:

Thank you so much for reviewing this set! I like the variety in the set, but it is a bit plain.

I never realized that the set did not include two complete Pod Racers. That is simply laziness on Lego's part.

Very nice review :thumbup:

It's a shame this is the only set that has the Watto minifigure, maybe they will redo it...

Oky Wan Kenobi

Yeah, maybe you are right. But it's strange that there are no instructions for it in the manual.

I'll put up the other pages from the comic soon.

ILikePi

I meant that there's only one frame.

Edited by Mischa07

Yeah, maybe you are right. But it's strange that there are no instructions for it in the manual.

I thought it's rather obvious due to the extra parts included and the picture with the two complete pods. And I'm sure the instructions are the same as for Beedo's frame. But I just downloaded the instructions of this set, and I must say that you're right. There really is no indication in the instructions that you can do that at all, which is indeed strange. :sceptic:

But now that you know it, could you please post a picture of the two completed pods and show what pieces are left over after that change? :sweet: That would be great! And while you're at it, you should change the statement in your review from this:

To assemble Mawhonic's podracer you have to take apart Beedo's podracer!

To something like this:

There are no instructions for a frame for Mawhonic's podracer, but a picture on the cover indicates that you can use the pieces from the junkyard exterior to make such a frame.

Just a suggestion. :classic:

i dont like that theres only one frame, and aldar beedo is a useless piece

I thought it's rather obvious due to the extra parts included and the picture with the two complete pods. And I'm sure the instructions are the same as for Beedo's frame.

I thought it was a well known fact by now. And the instructions are the same, I think. I fortunately have the pleasure of a friend that got 2 Mos Espa Podraces, due to misshipped ebay winnings.

i dont like that theres only one frame, and aldar beedo is a useless piece

Well, without him, who would pilot his pod? Certianly not that brick built Aldar in the Podrace Bucket.

Is it me, or does it seem like this guy could pass as Mawhonic?

Well... I guess so. :sceptic: But Gran usually have three eyes, and they stick out.

Nice review!

If the star war set we have now got so many printed part like 7186 did, we probably had less complaint on the sticker and become more acceptable on the price we have to pay. :angry: :angry:

+ I WANT THAT WATTO!!!! :blush:

Is it me, or does it seem like this guy could pass as Mawhonic? Nice review by the way...

Well....After some deep thought, I guess so. (I was thinking there would be some useful aliens in the SP line :thumbup: )

But, you would have to cover up his face and turn his head backwards, as it would look better. I attempted one out of bricks, but it failed miserably.

Could you please add the rest of the comic? That would be great! :sweet:

Hey, here's the full comic.

Page 1.

IMG_6591.jpg

Page 2.

IMG_6592.jpg

Page 3.

IMG_6593.jpg

This is one of the sets that Im very bummed I didnt get. It looks awesome.

Anyways. Great Review.