Sign in to follow this  
Marko

WIP: MOC V-22 Osprey

DSC_5542.jpg

About the V-22 Osprey project in Wikipedia

USMC variant, the MV-22B, is an assault transport for troops, equipment and supplies, capable of operating from ships or from expeditionary airfields ashore. It is replacing the Marine Corps' CH-46E and CH-53D. The V-22 will fly twice as fast, several times further, and with a heavier payload than the helicopters it replaces.

Here comes my inspiration for the craft.

In my Lego world this particular CV-22 is made from surplus parts in an remote Mediterranean island to be used by mercenaries operating in African region. The whole project is managed by John Frederick "The Footballer" from Marko Bay town. Initially I had CV-22 in Merc 2000 RPG back in 90s as main transport for our crew of mercenaries.

This is WIP but I decided to share with you what I have until now. There are to be replaced some white color bricks to new light grey. Maybe I also change bricks to panels for the hull. Back wings are missing and interior has not been done to the full operations specs. This is my first MOC post here and first plane MOC.

I stay waiting for critiques and suggestions.

DSC_5345-2.jpg

DSC_5347-2.jpg

DSC_5352-2.jpg

DSC_5354-2.jpg

It can take in a car developed specially for the plane.

DSC_5360-2.jpg

Flying low with regular plane mode.

I have also some pics about the real plane from US Navy website but probably I should not post them here.

Edited by Marko

Thats a nice moc you have there. It is a bit <insert that tiresome argument> and shouldnt it have a tailfin?

Funny, I just saw one of those at an airshow yesterday :thumbup:

And I saw first time drawing of the then prototype in 1992 in Twilight2000/Merc 2000 Nautical/Aviation Handbook . You lucky guy have seen it in life and I have always dreamed about one.

Thats a nice moc you have there. It is a bit <insert that tiresome argument> and shouldnt it have a tailfin?

It is missing a whole pair of tail fins. I tried to copy the style that LEGO had for last Coast Guard Helicopter with most efficient way but I do agree it is not a model copy - more of a play aircraft inspired by CV-22.

The real V-22's fuselage has an almost square cross-section its wings have a constant chord length and only a slight forward angle. Rear access to the cab is via a tail-mounted ramp. Your model doesn't have any of that and consequently IMO it doesn't look like a V-22. I realise you haven't yet added tailfins, but I wonder what you'll do for the engines. The Osprey has very large engine pods at the end of its wing with three-bladed props. Your aircraft doesn't seem to have any engines. All you've got are two-bladed props that are attached to an awkward-looking hinge.

I think there's very little you can do to actually make it look like one using the large fuselage pieces and the wing piece. My suggestion would be to either give up on the idea that you're building a V-22 and just go for a generic tilt-rotor aircraft of your own design or to build a proper V-22 by replacing the large aircraft pieces by old-fashioned brick and plate to give it a wing and a fuselage that actually look like those on a V-22.

Cheers,

Ralph

The real V-22's fuselage has an almost square cross-section its wings have a constant chord length and only a slight forward angle. Rear access to the cab is via a tail-mounted ramp. Your model doesn't have any of that and consequently IMO it doesn't look like a V-22. I realise you haven't yet added tailfins, but I wonder what you'll do for the engines. The Osprey has very large engine pods at the end of its wing with three-bladed props. Your aircraft doesn't seem to have any engines. All you've got are two-bladed props that are attached to an awkward-looking hinge.

I think there's very little you can do to actually make it look like one using the large fuselage pieces and the wing piece. My suggestion would be to either give up on the idea that you're building a V-22 and just go for a generic tilt-rotor aircraft of your own design or to build a proper V-22 by replacing the large aircraft pieces by old-fashioned brick and plate to give it a wing and a fuselage that actually look like those on a V-22.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thank You for the critique. I totally do agree with the missing engines, three bladed props and I was long considering not to use the fuselage pieces for middle section of the fuselage. These things I will update in future. Also I am not at all happy with the transformation from hull to the wing, that I will change as well to look more like Osprey.

Regarding the wing and tail piece I would not agree with you. The degree of forward angle for me was not so important in the wing and one piece tail is very much in the form of Ospreys. I do understand that there is missing ramp but many (if not to say almost all) MOCs are opening top of their creations to fit minifigures in - that was for me the excuse of not to go for old-fashioned brick creation of tail part with ramp but to use LEGO standard huge piece for todays planes on hinges to fit in car.

With all respect for your nice creations that I have long looked at,

Marko

Thank You for the critique. I totally do agree with the missing engines, three bladed props and I was long considering not to use the fuselage pieces for middle section of the fuselage. These things I will update in future. Also I am not at all happy with the transformation from hull to the wing, that I will change as well to look more like Osprey.

Regarding the wing and tail piece I would not agree with you. The degree of forward angle for me was not so important in the wing and one piece tail is very much in the form of Ospreys. I do understand that there is missing ramp but many (if not to say almost all) MOCs are opening top of their creations to fit minifigures in - that was for me the excuse of not to go for old-fashioned brick creation of tail part with ramp but to use LEGO standard huge piece for todays planes on hinges to fit in car.

With all respect for your nice creations that I have long looked at,

Marko

I suppose there is a big difference between building a model of the real craft and building something that sort-of looks like it and which has a lot of play features. The latter seems to be what you're going for, whereas I would go for the former. I always try to make my models as accurate as I can, but because of this they do tend to be fragile. So from my point of view the wing doesn't look quite right, but I realise that it probably is sturdier this way.

Cheers,

Ralph

I suppose there is a big difference between building a model of the real craft and building something that sort-of looks like it and which has a lot of play features. The latter seems to be what you're going for, whereas I would go for the former. I always try to make my models as accurate as I can, but because of this they do tend to be fragile. So from my point of view the wing doesn't look quite right, but I realise that it probably is sturdier this way.

Cheers,

Ralph

I was just going over your creations at flickr and I must admit they are very very detailed and accurate. Up to today I find your selection the best one from the planes and helicopters that I have been browsing over last couple of months.

You are totally correct that I am building something that is for play but with noticeable similarities to real world. Even with that huge wing and tail piece my three year old son has totally crashed the plane couple of times while crabbing it for fly.

With all the good,

Marko :classic:

And now the plane in action

DSC_5548.jpg

DSC_5550.jpg

Dino people who became mercenaries are getting car out at new employers beach

DSC_5551.jpg

DSC_5552.jpg

That is able and willing team to destroy your village or loot your harbor

DSC_5546.jpg

DSC_5547.jpg

Some interior shots

That is it with this project, I may modify tail and engine a bit but for play this model is done.

looking good :thumbup: its very accurate, i cant wait for it to be done. Itll be cool to see how you did the wings