Sign in to follow this  
MattZitron

Dino Attack Regional Differences

Ok,

So the whole strangeness over the fact that the European Dino sets have cages and capture devices, and the American/Japanese/Australians have guns, has been theorised to be because Europeans are less violent. Or are less enamered to violence in the media, than Americans/Japanese/Australians.

ANYWAY I've had a thought. I think the European Dino sets are more sinister than their counterparts.

Here's why.

In Americans/Japanese/Australian sets the Dino Team go around shooting the dinos to death to protect their city.

The Europeans go after the dinos to capture them. But for what ends? Is it to put them in a zoo? MAYBE, but I think its more likely the Dino 2010 team have a secret viversection lab in Legoland where they take their captured dinos and experiment on them.

So I think its the Americans/Japanese/Australians who've been spared the nasty sets, their ones are far more humane.

We europeans are evil. We test on animals in the future.

Well, if you look at the weapon descriptions for the US/Aus/Jap versions, LEGO goes to great lengths to describe how they are all very sci-fi, non-lethal devices...XL-4 Voltaic Launchers, Plarxx Radar Rays, Quintronic Beam Emitters, Sonic Screamers, Z-1 Kinetic Launchers, Cryothermic Cannons, Xenon Multi-Mode Launchers...

So really it becomes an allegory for the US and Europe. Where the US will spend billions of dollars to develop high tech, advanced weapons to bring down the dinosaurs in one piece for capture very quicly, Europe will rely on inexpensive, tried and true methods that may take longer, but will result in the dinos being captured in the end just the same. nuts.GIF

Then again...the downside is that sets like the T-1 Typhoon (Air Tracker) and the Iron Predator (Dino Track Transport) just look sad without all the cannons and rocket pods and such hanging off of them :(

Well, if you look at the weapon descriptions for the US/Aus/Jap versions, LEGO goes to great lengths to describe how they are all very sci-fi, non-lethal devices...XL-4 Voltaic Launchers, Plarxx Radar Rays, Quintronic Beam Emitters, Sonic Screamers, Z-1 Kinetic Launchers, Cryothermic Cannons, Xenon Multi-Mode Launchers...

So really it becomes an allegory for the US and Europe. Where the US will spend billions of dollars to develop high tech, advanced weapons to bring down the dinosaurs in one piece for capture very quicly, Europe will rely on inexpensive, tried and true methods that may take longer, but will result in the dinos being captured in the end just the same. nuts.GIF

Then again...the downside is that sets like the T-1 Typhoon (Air Tracker) and the Iron Predator (Dino Track Transport) just look sad without all the cannons and rocket pods and such hanging off of them :(

But they need the space for all the cosmetics and dyodes there need to test on the Dinos.

Loreal, because you're worth it!

(considers replacing the T-1 Typhoon's missile pods with huge lipstick tubes and the nose and tail guns with eyeliner pencils)

nuts.GIF

I call those Ultraraptid pulse laser cannons, Deathssilies, Deathray, Plasmaray, Odin-11 Twin Laser Cannons, and disruptor cannons.

it...reduces you to 0.000001. AKA nothing.

I wonder what the situation with Batman's going to be, what with the tommy guns and such. If LEGO is so opposed to violent themes in Europe, will Batman be neutered like the Dino line? Can you imagine if Europe doesn't get Batman, or at the very least, they get the sets without the weapons.

I actually don't buy into this anti-violence stance LEGO is taking. Afterall, they sell Vikings with Axes, Swords and Spears who are trying to slaughter a number of mythical beasts. How is that any less violent than the Dino lines? And the guns from the Western line certainly fly in the face of LEGO's position. Well, I hope for the sake of European fans, Batman isn't neutered in order to maintain LEGO's anti-gun/modern warfare policy.

Later.

We europeans are evil. We test on animals in the future.

You forgot to add [cue pinky finger to lip] after the word "evil"

From what I recall reading, it's not necessarily Lego's stance on violence or else we wouldn't have the Dino Attack line at all and we would all have Dino 2010. They test marketed the Dinos in Germany which is a huge market in Europe for bricks. The parents did not want weapons, so to appease that segment of the market [ie. the ones who purchase the sets for their kids] they changed the weaponry to cages.

Of course, as mentioned, this is all from recall, I can't pull a source on this, so I could be wrong.

I wonder what the situation with Batman's going to be, what with the tommy guns and such. If LEGO is so opposed to violent themes in Europe, will Batman be neutered like the Dino line? Can you imagine if Europe doesn't get Batman, or at the very least, they get the sets without the weapons.

I actually don't buy into this anti-violence stance LEGO is taking. Afterall, they sell Vikings with Axes, Swords and Spears who are trying to slaughter a number of mythical beasts. How is that any less violent than the Dino lines? And the guns from the Western line certainly fly in the face of LEGO's position. Well, I hope for the sake of European fans, Batman isn't neutered in order to maintain LEGO's anti-gun/modern warfare policy.

Later.

The reason the Dino line is without weapons is Germany. Yes it's true it's because of Germany.

TLC made a survey in which they showed the Dino Attack sets to mothers in Germany [it's the best LEGO selling country in Europe - strange when thinking of Playmobil] and they all agreed that it was too violent hence no weapons.

Whether they did it with Vikings or Exo-Force I don't know.

Hopefully they didn't do it to Batman.

So it's not LEGO that has a non-weapon / anti-violence policy that's Sweden ;)

KimT

The reason the Dino line is without weapons is Germany. Yes it's true it's because of Germany.

This is something I long thought is silly, germans are addicted to violence: you can switch on the radio anytime on the day and hear a novel about a murder, explained into detail, you can watch tv and you will sooner or later run into a horror flick.

Still, strong moral panic is taking place elsewere; FPS games are forbidden and Lego cant do as they want.

Germans are strange. I think its because of the lack of spiky helmets. ;)

This is something I long thought is silly, germans are addicted to violence: you can switch on the radio anytime on the day and hear a novel about a murder, explained into detail, you can watch tv and you will sooner or later run into a horror flick.

Still, strong moral panic is taking place elsewere; FPS games are forbidden and Lego cant do as they want.

Germans are strange. I think its because of the lack of spiky helmets. ;)

Its called sensorship >:( .

For some reason, some people feel that younger persons will be strongly influenced by violent images or themes. Often, politicians make build their platform arround the protection of youth, promoting sensorship in a variety of children's media (videogames, toys, cartoons etc.). These same people assume that sensorship will somehow work, despite making violent or graphic content for adult audiences. Of course, children will be exposed to this content, making the aforementioned sensorship pretty much moot.

What really irks me though, is the fact that most children would develop far better if their parents were more involved in their lives, rather than worrying about government sensorship. If you don't want your child exposed to these themes, remove the elements you feel are violent. The real problem here is, we don't need corporations or governments providing sensorship. We need responsible parents. Heck, most of these anti-violence campaigns smack of hypocrisy anyways. Your parents probably played with toy guns and the like when they were children.

Later.