Year: 2003

Pieces: 76

Price: I paid 1000 yen

MSP: $4 US

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickset

4484-1.jpg

Part three in my mini review series! This is of course the X-Wing and TIE Advanced, and came with 1/4 of a mini TIE Bomber. The X-Wing was also released identically in a Kabaya set, which I don't have, so I was glad to get this. I wouldn't mind having two though. If I could go back in time, I'd buy a few of these and make a mini squadron.

The Package

img_0752.jpg

The Pieces

The set has 4 printed pieces, four pieces with almost identical prints, two mirroring the others. The only other unusual pieces were the clear pieces used for the X-Wing TIE cockpits.

img_0724.jpg

The Promotion

The set has 1/4 of a tie bomber, shown here.

img_0750.jpg

The Ships

The X-Wing

It's a fairly simple build, but I like how the wings snap on.

img_0726.jpg

The wings are folded.

img_0727.jpg

And open.

img_0728.jpg

The overhead view cuts a nice silhouette! Here is a clear view of those printed pieces.

img_0729.jpg

And again, it looks great in 3/4 view.

img_0731.jpg

The side view is good, but it would be better if it balanced parallel to the surface.

img_0732.jpg

The back view looks along the lines of the larger model.

img_0733.jpg

One last side view. Is that gray stud Artoo?

img_0734.jpg

The TIE Advanced

The build on this is really neat, maybe more interesting than the finished product. Some studs stick out at 90 degrees. They're locked in above with a three-stud piece, and those grabbers on either side lock in between studs on the wings to keep the wings steady.

img_0739.jpg

All together.

img_0744.jpg

The 3/4 view looks nice here too.

img_0745.jpg

The blue piece on the back makes a nice engine.

img_0747.jpg

The overhead has a nice silhouette too.

img_0749.jpg

The Tie Piece

It is a wing piece, identical to that of 4485

img_0649_2.jpg

The extra parts... Not so much, the fewest of the 4484-4487 sets.

img_0743.jpg

All together

img_0742.jpg

Final verdict

Design: 10/10 Between the iconic design of the movie ships, and the accuracy of these mini models, this is a 10. Compared to the other minis of the 4484-4487 series, it feels like equal effort went into both ships, not a big one and a little one.

Playability: 10/10 A perfect pair. Have a deep space dog fight with two stable ships. I don't do that myself, but I like to pose them behind my computer, and they look great together. Great.

Price: 10/10 If I saw this for $4 I'd buy two or three.

Build: 9/10 They both have interesting builds to create ships with unusual angles. The TIE Advanced, though shorter, was the more interesting build for me.

Overall: 10/10 This is the set everyone would like to have. The X-Wing and TIE Fighter(s) have been released multiple times by the TLG because their fundamental design and popularity, and this is a solid set that continues the tradition. Any Star Wars/LEGO fan should track this set down.

Edited by KimT

Nice review. I really like these Mini sets and I wish TLC will resurrect the line. I recently purchased the mini V-19 Torrent and Grievous' Starfighter and they are really solid little sets with great design. Its a shame that the line ended the way it did. Your reviews are making me want these sets I was never able to get! :laugh:

Dang, i had hoped to get these in the coming month and try my first crack at a review, and then do all these mini's.

Oh well, thanks for the review, going to have to buy these now, they look sweet.

They are all right so I rated them above average :pir-sceptic: First the TIE fighter's wings are to bulky,second the Xwings front end is not very well designed. It needs tiles on the front part, anyway I wouldnt buy it.

They are all right so I rated them above average :pir-sceptic: First the TIE fighter's wings are to bulky,second the Xwings front end is not very well designed. It needs tiles on the front part, anyway I wouldnt buy it.

You'll have to do a MOD and show us how you'd do them better :tongue:

Um isnt the voting supposed to be for the review, not what is thought about the set.

Um isnt the voting supposed to be for the review, not what is thought about the set.

Nope.

That's why it says "Rate the set" and not "Rate the review".

Comments are always welcome on both set and review, but the vote is meant as a rating of the set.

I like the X wing in this set but the tie advanced could use something else in my opinion. Nice review