Sign in to follow this  
Darth Legolas

If you could revive any one dead theme...

They could resurrect all the old themes in time.

Kids have short memories and AFOLs have nostalgia. In fact I never had much Western (one little Indian) and not one Ninja set (my ninja are made using sith robe torso's and headwraps that came in the castle accessories pack). So new versions of the old themes would appeal to those of us who couldn't get hold of the old ones.

My brother is hugely into Power Miners because he has seen some Rock Raiders and loved it, we both love Pirates (I missed that the first time) and Agents is a fantastic successor to Alpha Team. Therefore, realisticly LEGO can make "the same again" with new elements, colours and building techniques to great success (if the Market is ready for it, anyway) with a whole new market to last time (after all, kids who had the originals are grown up and AFOLs make a minority amongst their peers) and with only a few whingey AFOLs who cannot affect sales much, because kids ignore them :tongue:

Great to see that so many people would like to see a comeback of Western (like I of course do, too) - I counted 25 only in this topic! :thumbup:

I partly agree with you, Tom Bricks, Natman8000 and Peppermint_M.

If TLG brings back either the Ninja theme or the Western theme (which I would highly prefer over Ninja) it would be the best for both - TLG themeselves but even their customers - to release re-designed sets (meaning sets which were already there but which get a new face with new minifigs, new accessory and perhaps even different architecture etc.) but even completly new sets (meaning sets which haven't been there before).

Let me give you an example for each theme:

Ninja:

There I see some problems with really "new" sets since - like you already mentioned - the most things you can think of were already done in the first line.

But only think about some approvements: E. g. we got the emperor's castle - but it was much too small and the interior was plus minus sero. If TLG releases a new emperor's castle which would be much bigger and would even include a throne room with a throne and maybe even some sort of these Samurai knights which have barred helmets surely JFOLs as well as AFOLs would buy this set since AFOLs would be happy because they would get a more detailed version with perhaps even some new minifigs and JFOLs would be lucky since they would get one at all.

Western:

Here the possibilites are nearly endless and everybody who says that a comeback of the Western theme - if done correctly - would be no success is really crazy.

The best would here be to bring back some of the old sets as re-designs (not as re-releases!) since a sheriff's office, a bank and perhaps even a fort are these sets which have to be included in a new Western theme since they are those things of which a child immediately thinks of when it hears Wild West. If TLG does not include these sets it's imo clear that these theme would be no success if its sets should be sold in regular toy shops.

But this is not all since we - mainly AFOLs - are there, too. And many of us already own many of the old sets. So for us bringing back only the sets which we already own but in a new style would nevertheless be not attractive enough for us (and so even many of us wouldn't buy these sets). But the point is that there are so many sets of which you can think of and which TLG ununderstandable let out in their last Western theme that a new Western theme could last a whole decade. Only think of a stage coach, a saloon, a post office, a train with train station, a covered waggon, etc. which are in high demand among us and for which we surely would pay even a lot of money to get them.

Plus the argument of no possibility for a fantasy theme is here wrong. If TLG is sceptical about whether a new Western theme would work well or not since there are no fantasy creatures included like in the current uggly "Castle" theme - why not releasing a Ghost Town theme?!

Klaus-Dieter

M-Tron

Blacktron

Ninja

Classic space and ninjas all the way. Space ninjas would be even cooler, but that might be a little difficult to pull off.

Space ninjas would be even cooler, but that might be a little difficult to pull off.

Super Space Ninja Cowboy Knights! Opposed by the Evil Indian Mutant Ghost Pirates!

Now there's a theme for you. :tongue:

Super Space Ninja Cowboy Knights! Opposed by the Evil Indian Mutant Ghost Pirates!

Now there's a theme for you. :tongue:

Isn't that just Ninjago?

Edited by murphy_slaw