Norro

Finally the gathering: Ladybird Pirate Books

All right pirate experts, I've recently gotten a hold of 4 of the ladybird pirate books (continuing the Will and Captain Roger story). Delightfully they were classed as 'non-fiction'... :pir_laugh2:

But are these the only 4?

1) Will and the Gold Chase

2) Captain Roger's Birthday

3) Adventure on Shark Island

4) The Royal Visit

(the numbers on the spines)

And yes I do have a use for them...

God Bless,

Nathan

--------------------------------

Scans of the books can be downloaded here.

A nice piece of memorabilia to have! Just some of the old "ideas books" and some old catalogues here.

A nice piece of memorabilia to have! Just some of the old "ideas books" and some old catalogues here.

I'll bring them along next time we meet if there is any interest...

God Bless,

Nathan

You don't happen to have a scanner do you Norro? Because the Ladybird book series could be the best contribution possible to Classic-Pirates.com!

But are these the only 4?

1) Will and the Gold Chase

2) Captain Roger's Birthday

3) Adventure on Shark Island

4) The Royal Visit

(the numbers on the spines)

If we may believe Wikipedia... these are the only 4.

I bought them all when they were first out as a child and there were only four then, though I don't know about outside the UK there might be more a bit like Jim Spaceborn

Another question:

They also introduced a character known as Captain Foul who commanded the ship “The Barracuda”, however the captain or ship did not appear in any of the official Pirate Lego sets. Can somebody give some scans if he's in the book 'Adventure on Shark Island'. I never saw the books my self (not the inside).

Extra info,... for the newbies... :pir-wink:

You can buy them on Amazon... cheap stuff !!!

Will and the Gold Chase - Synopsis:

When Camilla loses her beautiful gold pendant, she is so upset that her uncle, Governor Broadside offers a reward.

Captain Roger's Birthday - Synopsis:

It's the Captain's birthday and Will plans a surprise party.

Adventure on Shark Island - Synopsis:

As revenge for playing a trick on him, Captain Foul captures pirate Anne and holds her prisoner on board the Barracuda, somewhere off Shark Island. Will comes up with a plan and sets off with Jimbo and Spinoza to rescue Anne but they come back with more than they bargained for!

The Royal Visit - Synopsis:

The king is coming on a state visit and Governor Broadside loses his badge of office- a serious offence! The governor could lose his job or even his head! So the pirates give up pirating for a while and mount a search for the missing badge. No one has any success, until Will has an idea.

Characters

Broadside's Family:

Aunt Prudence

Camilla

Governor Broadside

Dark Shark Crew:

Anne

Bo'Sun Will

Captain Roger (known as Captain Redbeard in Northern America)

Flashfork

First Mate Rummy

Jimbo

Popsy (the parrot)

Spinoza (the monkey)

Islands

Black Reef Island

Emerald Island

Hook Nose Island

Island of Fogs

Island of Ruins

Island of Skulls

John Silver Island

Pirate Hat Island

Pirate’s Nest

Sabatina

Shark Island

Skeleton Island

Edited by Capt. Kirk

I had the Captain Rogers Birthday. I might still have it tucked away somewhere. If I find it does anyone want me to upload scans?

I once had Captain rogers birthday but seem to have misplaced it, so scans would be usefull Skipper for me too Skipper.

From the discription that Capt. Kirk gave, they sound like pretty good books.

From the discription that Capt. Kirk gave, they sound like pretty good books.

They sure are, as far as I can remember.

And they are suitable for adults as well I believe. Its not 100% kiddish I mean (at least they weren't to my recollection).

just for fun, i finally got them all, as far as i know, and a little trip down merory lane :pir_bawling:

collection_1.jpg

the top one is in danish, remember in 1989, just laying on the floor with my lego stareing at the sets that i whanted :pir-cry_sad:

backside1.jpg

....and in side loveing the way the drew in the cartoon way the actual sets

fist the eldorado.

eldorado.jpg

and the red seas barracuda, and the secret island :jollyroger:

secret_island.jpg

hope you remember :pir-blush:

Nice work on those books. I remember having Captain Roger's Birthday which I bought at my school fete for some outrageously cheap price :pir-tongue:. How about an overview of the books for those who don't know the stories?

you meen like some rewies or.... :pir-cry_happy:

i remeber seeing the usa. version of the oldest one the birg one, called the golden medalion, ther is a game on the last page.. maybe i should post that to, but in that version there was 2 figures to use for the game.....awesome :pir-tongue:

Wow - I remember those.

I'm Danish, so I can read that magazine. The Black Seas Barracuda is called "Hajtand" which means "Sharks Tooth" :)

I never knew that. It's quite interesting to see the Danish names of those sets.

remember in 1989, just laying on the floor with my lego stareing at the sets that i whanted :pir-cry_sad:

Me too - I wanted all the sets so badly. I still want the BSB. I have the SES, but I'd rather have the BSB because it looks much better. I have the rest of the 1989 line.

I stopped getting LEGO at the age of 13 (around 1993) or so :pir-sceptic: - and entered my dark ages a few years later. I'm glad I'm back now, and my daughter loves all my old Pirate sets.

I'm getting her the Pirates Advent Calendar this christmas

I never knew there were other stories than "Den Gyldne mont". :pir_wacko:

On the Brickfactory they have 3 versions of this story, In English, German and Dutch. :pir-wink:

Brickfactorylink

When you search sets on year it on the first page of sets of 1989