Sign in to follow this  
languages

what strikes me as a particular risk is the fact that this series isn't even aired in several countries around the world. I mean, the lego company clearly hopes that the sets will be bought by the fans of the tv-show. Youngsters will recognice the stuff from tv and ask mum and dad to buy that for them. but what if the show isn't on tv? Why would this theme sell in Belgium, for instance, without having the backing of the tv show? wouldn't it just dissappear in the large number of construction toys, baby toys, ...

what strikes me as a particular risk is the fact that this series isn't even aired in several countries around the world. I mean, the lego company clearly hopes that the sets will be bought by the fans of the tv-show. Youngsters will recognice the stuff from tv and ask mum and dad to buy that for them. but what if the show isn't on tv? Why would this theme sell in Belgium, for instance, without having the backing of the tv show? wouldn't it just dissappear in the large number of construction toys, baby toys, ...

I'd have to say I agree.

It isn't on in the UK as far as I know.

I'm not a fan of the show, but if its system the sets might have some cool functions. But if it's not system, I'm going to ignore the sets altogether.

Right in an effort to be level headed.

I've got ahold of some episodes of Avatar.

And after watching the first episode, I'm genuinely looking forward to the sets.

The series is quite mental. There's a giant flying bison with 6 legs, Penguins with 4 flippers (that they ride from time to time). and an assortment of crazy people and gadgets.

The design of the whole is fantastic, the bad guys' troops look fantastic.

The other good thing about this series, is that the characters aren't caucasian. So it means that the skin tone figure choices will grow.

So as a 22 year old boy, I'm looking forward what TLC can do with Avatar, I'm off to watch the next 16 episodes.

Right in an effort to be level headed.

I've got ahold of some episodes of Avatar.

And after watching the first episode, I'm genuinely looking forward to the sets.

The series is quite mental. There's a giant flying bison with 6 legs, Penguins with 4 flippers (that they ride from time to time). and an assortment of crazy people and gadgets.

The design of the whole is fantastic, the bad guys' troops look fantastic.

The other good thing about this series, is that the characters aren't caucasian. So it means that the skin tone figure choices will grow.

So as a 22 year old boy, I'm looking forward what TLC can do with Avatar, I'm off to watch the next 16 episodes.

Right.....sound 'fun'....cant wait to see some pics....

Right so I've watched the first 3 episodes.

It seems a given that one set will feature the flying Bison Apa.

of_appa2.jpg

The characters ride on him. He's pretty big. I'm hoping that Lego Brick build him, and don't go the dewback route. As he's considerably bigger.

Above pic from this site.

That would be quite cool. It seems likely that one of the sets will come with this glider:

44467_512.jpg

functions. i like em in a castle( and others(i.e. the flip-up skellie with lance in graveyard (4766))).

ooooooooooooooohhh!too many brackets *wacko* !

Hmmmm... Waste of money?!

Maybe, maybe not.

Personally, I don't care about the licence behind the product as much as I care about the product itself. I don't really care if Avatar is 'real anime' or not. Mediocre animation from Japan doesn't interest me any more than mediocre animation from the United States. The real selling point of this line will be the sets themselves. If they come with a decent assortment of useful bricks, I'll be happy. Heck, both Harry Potter and Starwars delivered a great assortment of new and useful bricks. If Avatar does this, I'll have nothing to complain about. The fact that its based on a goofy children's show doesn't bother me whatsoever. I've been buying sets for over 20 years, and it certainly hasn't been because of any licence LEGO has acquired.

Anime (fake or not) is overrated. Hopefully these sets won't be. In the end, its all about the bricks!

Later.

Anime (fake or not) is overrated. Hopefully these sets won't be. In the end, its all about the bricks!

Later.

Okay, sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic for a Lego forum, but I have to respond to this statement. I'm an animator, so statements like this get to me.

Saying anime is overrated is like saying "movies are overrated" or "books are overrated." Anime is a medium, not a genre. There is a tremendous bulk of anime out there, some good, some bad, some great, some terrible. I'm not sure where Avatar falls in that continuum, I've only seen 1/2 of one episode. But please don't dismiss the entire anime world so casually.

Also, to folks saying that Avatar is "fake" anime because it is done in the U.S., that's doing a disservice to the animation industry in general. Art influences art, and as long as it's not outright stealing ideas or selling itself as being from Japan (which it may be doing, I don't know) I don't think it's fair to automatically dismiss it as some sort of imposter.

Okay, sorry, stepping down off my soap box now. :$ And I promise to only talk about lego in my next few posts!

Anime (fake or not) is overrated.  Hopefully these sets won't be.  In the end, its all about the bricks!

Later.

Okay, sorry, I know this is a bit off-topic for a Lego forum, but I have to respond to this statement. I'm an animator, so statements like this get to me.

Saying anime is overrated is like saying "movies are overrated" or "books are overrated." Anime is a medium, not a genre. There is a tremendous bulk of anime out there, some good, some bad, some great, some terrible. I'm not sure where Avatar falls in that continuum, I've only seen 1/2 of one episode. But please don't dismiss the entire anime world so casually.

Also, to folks saying that Avatar is "fake" anime because it is done in the U.S., that's doing a disservice to the animation industry in general. Art influences art, and as long as it's not outright stealing ideas or selling itself as being from Japan (which it may be doing, I don't know) I don't think it's fair to automatically dismiss it as some sort of imposter.

Okay, sorry, stepping down off my soap box now. :$ And I promise to only talk about lego in my next few posts!

Beat me to that.

Anime is overrated is a truly stupid statement.

Anyway the sets could be great.

And SuvieD that's a boomerang, and I don't think its transparent! :(

Boomerang? . . . :'(

Not trans :'(

*sing*

I like anime in some ways but dislike it in others. I prefer something in the middle of the eastern and western styles. Stereotyped styles of both exist and most of those really are overrated.

Most movies, songs, video games, television programs and books are indeed overrated depending on each persons tastes. Even LEGO sets get overrated. Anime is no different, if a person loves the manga style art or the storylines involved in it then to them it may be the best anime ever. To me it could be mind numbingly dull and overrated.

Bottom line is that not everyone likes mushrooms. So do, some don't. I want transparent axes and instead I get white boomerands >:( . . . lame! Art is something people try to put boundries on it works only for the person doing so usually. Blueandwhite thinks that this style of art is overrated, Beagle an artist appreciates the work involved in creating even awful anime and so appreciates it more than others do.

Where was I going with this . . . oh yeah I want tranparent axes you stupid overrated air bender boomerang loving artists! *twisted*

Anime (fake or not) is overrated.  Hopefully these sets won't be.  In the end, its all about the bricks!

Later.

Well, we are all entitled to our opinions. You shouldn't let mine get to you. Personally, I still feel that anime is highly overrated by many of its proponents. If you feel differently, that's fine. Don't get me wrong; I'm not suggesting that good anime doesn't exist. I am merely suggesting that many anime enthusiasts sing highly its praises, without recognizing its faults. Surely as an animator, you can admit that.

And anime is not a medium. Medium speaks to format, not style. Saying anime is overrated is more like saying fantasy novels, or harlequin romance novels are overrated (which in many cases they are). When a particular style gains a strong following, many of those followers tend to overvalue products coming from that style. These same fans refuse to acknowledge some of the obvious shortcomings inherent to that same style. From my experience, many proponents of anime fit this description nicely, condemning other styles while ignoring the faults with the style they prefer.

One other thing; suggesting that something is overrated is not the same as dismissing it. I think that Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter are all overrated, but I enjoy all of them. I simply appreciate that they are not as perfect as many fans would have you believe.

So lets relax and talk LEGO intead.

Later.

First off, I must say I am shocked with the amount of response this is getting.

Second, I'm a HUGE lego fan and I work on this show.

I have seen the sets, there will be 2.

I can't say much but i will say this. The sets are system, they both come with several minifigs. The minifigs are flesh tone. There is a glider in one set. and one of the characters actully resembles this -> :oD

I myself am working on a lego appa, been doing it for a while. in the meantime you should check with brickmodder to see if he's posted the custom light-up aang he made for me on his site (i know he posted a pick on lugnet).

First off, I must say I am shocked with the amount of response this is getting.

Second, I'm a HUGE lego fan and I work on this show.

I have seen the sets, there will be 2.

I can't say much but i will say this. The sets are system, they both come with several minifigs. The minifigs are flesh tone. There is a glider in one set. and one of the characters actully resembles this -> :oD

I myself am working on a lego appa, been doing it for a while. in the meantime you should check with brickmodder to see if he's posted the custom light-up aang he made for me on his site (i know he posted a pick on lugnet).

I look forward to seeing the sets after seeing the first episode of the show last night....it was ok....

Only 2 sets?

I guess TLC's contract with Nickelodeon allows them to create a few sets from any of the selected shows, so we won't see lots of repetetive sets from the same show, whcih mihgt not sell. Instead, a nice selection which should be a sure hit! ;)

Jon.

After reading the storyline I am looking forward to this theme based on the possibility of cool pieces and maybe even cool sets.

I have stopped my hatred against Fleshtones because at least Fleshtones only mean flesh heads and hands - I can change the hands to yellow and put on a new head - no problem.

I hope this is System! If it is the same crap as Galidor I will projectile vomit for 3 days. No lie. (not because this Anime is amazing... but because Galidor was so low in legos books it hurt)

(P.S. - I love Anime... Patlabor is my favorite actually... how about some freaking Patlabor Lego that would be wicked)

Languages, are you a 6-11 year old boy? Of course this looks dumb to you. if you have a younger relative ask them what they think and you mught get surprised.

I'm 11 and avatar is CARP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have started watching the show with my two kids, and I have to say I am impressed. I am not sure what kind of sets they will get out of it (somehow a brick Appa does not appeal to me. I imagine some sort of a firebender ship will be there also), but given all the various choices, if they had to choose a license for the 6-12 year old crowd, this was a good choice.

Story - 8/10

Animation 9/10

Character development 9/10