Sign in to follow this  
Algernon

The Steam Empire

I couldn't find a picture so heres a rough description. Instead of the vertical propellers hanging outside the craft, this had column-like shafts going through the outer edge. It gave it a sleeker more foreboding look to me.

Well, without a pic, I have a hard time imagining what you mean. Do you mean something like the things in Avatar? That would be too sci-fi, I think.

By a little side craft with flapping wings would you mean something like the flying crafts from Castle in the Sky or Howl's Traveling Castle?

Kind of, but it's really just exactly what I said; a rowboat with wings (surf sails) attached to it.

I think your best bet if you want to do a Bionicle weapon would be the Midak Skyblaster (first half of '08), as it looks the best out of all of them and is (in my opinion) the least annoying. However, I'm not a fan of any of the Bionicle launchers, and I think that a steampunk'd Vikings-style soccer chair launcher would look and play the best.

The problem with that is that I only have one of those "soccer chairs". I guess I'll use either Pirate cannons or the skyblaster.

This comment is just an attempt to revive this zombie thread I hope this works because I really want to see more creations in this theme but at this point I doubt Oky will do the fortress. Oh well I hope I woke up this thread instead of it just twitching after it dies. :sceptic:

Way to be graphic. :tongue: But I'm afraid simply bumping the topic and posting a random image isn't going to spawn more activity in this Community Build. :sceptic: That image wont do us any good since those are both ground vehicles, and in the Steam Empire world, there's not much ground to speak of.

Are they trying to bring down that mech by throwing banana peals in its way? :wacko:

Had a snow day so I took a shot at the my first MOC's in this theme.

Not bad, I like 'em. The only thing I don't like is the mix of yellow and fleshie figs. Since this is supposed to be a non-licensed theme, the figs should all be yellow. Perhaps together they could form the $30 set?

Way to be graphic. :tongue: But I'm afraid simply bumping the topic and posting a random image isn't going to spawn more activity in this Community Build. :sceptic: That image wont do us any good since those are both ground vehicles, and in the Steam Empire world, there's not much ground to speak of.

Are they trying to bring down that mech by throwing banana peals in its way? :wacko:

Well somebody posted so it served its purpose. :classic: Anyway I didn't mean somebody should build that it might just inspire somebody in a different way and I think they're throwing bananas at it so it'll trip maybe? :classic:

I refuse to let this great community build die, dammit! :angry::tongue:

Well, now that I have your attention, let me give you guys a progress update on my Sky Fortress entry. :classic:

I have completed the Rebel Attack Flyer:

p1060938_small.jpg

p1060939_small.jpg

I tried to use as few parts as possible and still make it look nice and have playability. When you push it forward or backward, the wings flap and the propeller spins!

p1060940_small.jpg

p1060941_small.jpg

Here you can see how it works:

p1060942_small.jpg

A closer look at the minifigs, the rebel pilot and captain:

4499324354_f8c6a09261.jpg

I have also built the throne tower of the fortress, complete with cliche play features!

p1060955_small.jpgp1060956_small.jpg

The first two floors are comprised of a prison cell and a small engine room. When you pull a Technic pin on the side of the tower, you can send unwanted guests plummeting through a trap door into the prison!

p1060958_small.jpg

You can play inside and help the rebel escape by taking off the back wall!

p1060964_small.jpg

At the top, there is the throne room where the queen can oversee everything that's going on in and around the fortress. She is the only one who can get up here since there is no ladder or anything. Also, she's probably the only one who will find that throne comfortable. :tongue:

p1060967_small.jpg

The top part sits firmly in place, but it can be taken off easily...

p1060952_small.jpg

... in order to turn the throne into a getaway flyer!

p1060950_small.jpg

Again, I tried to be simplistic while cramming as much common play features in it as I could. I think the Fire Nation flags work perfectly as emblems of the steam empire! If it makes you happy, Tereglith, you can pretend that the wings are normally used as sails on the fortress. :wink:

I have also been trying to come up with a good design for the royal guards. I wanted them to be the mechanical minions the first post was talking about, so I made them look more like machines than men. Here are the three best designs I came up with:

4499324928_cdf8a7284d.jpg4499325446_e61d43f77b.jpg4498691137_95deb38365.jpg

Hi-res pics in this Brickshelf folder.

Please let me know which one you prefer and if there's anything I should change about the flyer or tower. :classic:

Steam Empire ON! :thumbup:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Wow, truly an epic creation! would anyone mind if I put something up? I think it may go well for the rebels. My idea here is basically a slightly more futuristic fighter squadron but still focusing on the power of steam. Taking down some of the Empires experimental fighters the rebels immediately got to work and retooled the planes to run completely on steam, thus giving them new aircraft to use in their never ending fight against the Empires evil reign. My idea is also entitled thus:

Rebel Fighter Squadron:

Starting with over view shots of the whole squadron:

Front view:

KOCEML460X.jpg

the shadows in this one were from my cats...shortly before one of my fighters died and was rebuilt:

GWPJM7K8VM.jpg

Now some pics of the small fighters:

Front:

LW2M4V5DYJ.jpg

Side:

0U6NRCKSWP.jpg

Rear:

IMQFUAOK83.jpg

And finally some pics of the heavy fighter/dive bomber:

Front

3JCITWE843.jpg

Left side:

V0OJT7SR3D.jpg

Rear:

ELUVSHLVDO.jpg

Right side:

ZG1IA711QQ.jpg

And the only play feature besides props and extreme swooshability:

GN0IZ1JDHS.jpg

Hope you guys like them...if you need more story just ask and I'll post it :grin:

And I really like the red-shirted guard with the spear, looks a bit more menacing then the others in my own humble opinion.

Edited by Fires-storm

Wow Oky that's looking great so far! I was actually working on a few things for the fortress actually mainly just the skull and I made it mave cannons for eyes to where if one moved the other would move in the same direction but I was never going to post it. :wink: But anyways this is great timing because I just happened to take photos of a steam empire table scrap set I took pics of yesterday! :sweet: Here it is sorry for the bad pics.

Name:Rebel chase.

Price: $10.00

minifigs: 2

4498486000_d01fd27d4b.jpg

4498485994_200b49b094.jpg

4498485992_8720cc83c1.jpg

I decided to add a splash of green to the rebel color scheme to make i brighter. I'll work on it more since it's not very good now it's still just a WIP.

I've followed this for a while, and are glad at its revival. I like all of the creations so far, and in fact made a little creation myself. Taking pictures now, but you guys are going to have to help me price it, I don't much about price per piece.