Sign in to follow this  
Algernon

The Steam Empire

I've been following this for a while, and I think it is turning out great. It's a bit quiet right now, but popularity will come swarming back with the completion of the Sky Fortress. I agree, it does need some more weapons on the wall. I like the drawing. It looks awesome, and look forward to it's finish. :thumbup:

that mapout is awesome! Completely different from what I was thinking entirely. :cry_happy:

Thanks. :classic: Mind sketching out what you had in mind? Perhaps we could combine our ideas.

I expected more weapons. :sceptic: Well I guess this is just a quick thumbnail sketch so it'll turn out quite different I'm pretty sure. :classic:

Well, I was thinking of adding some small guns on the side walls, but that would be pretty much it. What kind of weapons would you like to see, and where would you place them?

May I recommend sails? :grin:

Well, I thought of this as more of a zeppelin-carried platform which moves around solely with propeller power, but if you think sails would be good, I can consider adding them. Where do you think should they be?

If I do add sails, maybe I can make the front of the fortress look like that of a ship. What do you think?

It's a bit quiet right now, but popularity will come swarming back with the completion of the Sky Fortress. I agree, it does need some more weapons on the wall. I like the drawing. It looks awesome, and look forward to it's finish. :thumbup:

Thanks. :blush: And yes, let's hope this project will pick up after that. :sweet:

I have several MOC projects that have higher priority than this, but I hope I will have at least a rough draft of the fortress done by the end of Christmas break (which is in three weeks).

I concur with Computerbug on the sails, and I think that a ship-like hull might be good too. That might give the oppurtunity for multiple decks, something Lego always likes to do, and it also seems realistic for a large, air-ship like set that it would have boat hull pieces. I think you might do well to have a large propeller angled downwards on each side, perhaps made out of bionicle blades and articulated so that it can be pointed in different directions, in addition to whatever other drives you have, but that's just me.

Okay, but if I make it more airship-like, I fear it will look less like a fortress. :sceptic:

As for multiple decks: Tell me what you think should be on those decks, and I might consider it.

But why would I need downward propellers? I already have six small ones on top and two zeppelins carrying this thing.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Okay, but if I make it more airship-like, I fear it will look less like a fortress. :sceptic:

As for multiple decks: Tell me what you think should be on those decks, and I might consider it.

But why would I need downward propellers? I already have six small ones on top and two zeppelins carrying this thing.

Downwards propellers could allow for hovering. I guess. :tongue:

Downwards propellers could allow for hovering. I guess. :tongue:

You mean like a hovercraft? Well, that wont be much use to the fortress as all the land is covered with deadly gas.

Hey Oky ever thought of using this piece on part of it? :wink:

53983pb01.gif

Of course, but unfortunately I only have one of those in that color. :sceptic: Hm... maybe if I install it behind the throne, it could be the engine of the Queen's getaway flyer...

If I could offer a little help,

Hows about you use these:

64951.jpg

As thrusters?

(On another note, I'm a count. :sweet: )

Edited by YG-49

Uhm, I think you're a bit confused. This is a steampunk project. There are no "thrusters" in steampunk, Count YG-49. :wink: Thanks for trying to help though.

You mean like a hovercraft? Well, that wont be much use to the fortress as all the land is covered with deadly gas.

I mean like flying, but not going anywhere. If you take my meaning.

That's what I was picturing at first I did'nt really expect the fortress to be a vehicle. :sceptic:

Well, the vehicle

That's what I was picturing at first I did'nt really expect the fortress to be a vehicle. :sceptic:

You know, I'd still like to see your vision.

Does it maybe look something like this?

sky_fortress_sketch_2.jpg

To be honest, I would rather go with the airship idea, because this just looks like Castle castle with propellers on it. :wink:

Also, do you guys think it would be good if I would use one of these for the steam engine, or is it too thick or not steampunky enough?

44772.jpg

Of course, it would be complicated to attach a piston to this...

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

You know, I'd still like to see your vision.

Ummm here's a quick sketch. :classic:

4204477803_6a28b09e99.jpg

#1 Drawbridge for vehicles.

#2 Throne.

#3 Vehicle storage.

#4 Main maneuvering propeller.

#5 Smokestack thing.

#6 Main engine/generator.

#7 soldier quarters/More vehicle storage?

Ummm here's a quick sketch. :classic:

4204477803_6a28b09e99.jpg

#1 Drawbridge for vehicles.

#2 Throne.

#3 Vehicle storage.

#4 Main maneuvering propeller.

#5 Smokestack thing.

#6 Main engine/generator.

#7 soldier quarters/More vehicle storage?

That. Is. Epic.

Hm, yes, that is quite different from what I had planned. I like the look of it, although I'm not sure about the face at the front. It's just too... Ogel-ish. :sceptic: But then again, TLC seems to use this skull entrance design in a lot of themes, so why not actually. And although it is an interesting design choice, wouldn't it be too dangerous for the throne to be at the front?

So do all of you think I should rather go for that design rather than mine?

I'm starting to draw up some of these ideas into a more airship-like body, using *gasp* pencil and paper instead of MS Paint. I'll scan it tomorrow and see what you guys think. It's basically a large hull with Oky's original layout, but with a couple of added sails and Computerbug's epic skull launch ramp/cannon bank.

Hm, yes, that is quite different from what I had planned. I like the look of it, although I'm not sure about the face at the front. It's just too... Ogel-ish. :sceptic: But then again, TLC seems to use this skull entrance design in a lot of themes, so why not actually. And although it is an interesting design choice, wouldn't it be too dangerous for the throne to be at the front?

So do all of you think I should rather go for that design rather than mine?

Well you could move the throne to the back if you'd like it was just a doodle not anything I put much time into. But it seems everybody likes the skull boarding ramp, cannon bank. I could make a better design if you'd like. :classic:

:EDIT: This might give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

4210595512_b3242a3e34.jpg

Edited by computerbug

Howzabout this? It's more of a drawing of how it would look in real life, but it might translate into lego pretty well. Comments, suggestions? I'm worried that it's TOO much like a ship.

4221771639_d67ddb90da_o.png

If you would like, I could draw up a more detailed version on a full sheet of paper.

Edited by Tereglith

I'm in.

I'll post here as soon as I have something good.

Excellent idea!

Let's just hope TLC hears our call and start making this. Rock Raiders is the closest we have ever had to something Steampunk-ish.

Hello all, I've finally able to get back to this. Me and a few friends have been working like crazy to finish a 30 minute animation for a small local film festival. Anyways, I've read through everything I missed and I see things have really progressed. I'm thinking of some vertical propellers but I can't find the pic. I'll search and post it later.

Howzabout this? It's more of a drawing of how it would look in real life, but it might translate into lego pretty well. Comments, suggestions? I'm worried that it's TOO much like a ship.

Not bad, Tereglith, not bad at all. But you're right, it does look a bit too much like a conventional ship. Plus the sails remind a bit of a circus tent :tongue: (No offense). The skullface-ramp still feels very been-there-done-that to me, but fine. The Rebel flyer also looks a bit too much like something from Agents. I want it to be a rowboat with (flapping) wings and one or two propellers in the back - a cheap little add-on like the row-boat in BB's Bounty.

I'll try to mix your and CB's ideas into one and see what comes out of it.

Btw, looking at some current sets and the World Racers prelims, it seems that TLC incorporates more and more Bionicle weapons into System sets. So, which do you think would be good for the fortress? I'm thinking either the bazooka-type ones or the crossbow-type ones. With some tubes and brown bits attached to them, they could look like pretty cool steampunk weapon

I'm in.

I'll post here as soon as I have something good.

Excellent idea!

Let's just hope TLC hears our call and start making this. Rock Raiders is the closest we have ever had to something Steampunk-ish.

And that's why it was that much more awesome than Power Miners :wink: (and PM is already pretty awesome :thumbup: ).

Anyway, nice to have you on the team.

And it's nice to see you again too, zouave. I'd be interested to see that animation, so if you have a link or something, please PM it to me!

I couldn't find a picture so heres a rough description. Instead of the vertical propellers hanging outside the craft, this had column-like shafts going through the outer edge. It gave it a sleeker more forboding look to me.

I did find this which may come in handy later.

http://www.acyborgreality.com/wp-content/u...51-1024x640.jpg

By a little side craft with flapping wings would you mean something like the flying crafts from Castle in the Sky or Howl's Traveling Castle?

Edited by zouave

Not bad, Tereglith, not bad at all. But you're right, it does look a bit too much like a conventional ship. Plus the sails remind a bit of a circus tent :tongue: (No offense). The skullface-ramp still feels very been-there-done-that to me, but fine. The Rebel flyer also looks a bit too much like something from Agents. I want it to be a rowboat with (flapping) wings and one or two propellers in the back - a cheap little add-on like the row-boat in BB's Bounty.

I'll try to mix your and CB's ideas into one and see what comes out of it.

Btw, looking at some current sets and the World Racers prelims, it seems that TLC incorporates more and more Bionicle weapons into System sets. So, which do you think would be good for the fortress? I'm thinking either the bazooka-type ones or the crossbow-type ones. With some tubes and brown bits attached to them, they could look like pretty cool steampunk weapon

I wasn't so sure about the sails, but I put them on anyway. It was originally just going to have the two bottom ones. The rebel flyer is basically just an agents vehicle, I drew it in about fifteen seconds. You can do whatever the heck you want with it.

Hmm... I think your best bet if you want to do a Bionicle weapon would be the Midak Skyblaster (first half of '08), as it looks the best out of all of them and is (in my opinion) the least annoying. However, I'm not a fan of any of the Bionicle launchers, and I think that a steampunk'd Vikings-style soccer chair launcher would look and play the best.

This comment is just an attempt to revive this zombie thread I hope this works because I really want to see more creations in this theme but at this point I doubt Oky will do the fortress. Oh well I hope I woke up this thread instead of it just twitching after it dies. :sceptic:

Oh BTW I saw this pic that reminded me of this thread maybe it'll be a source of inspiration for some. :classic:

steampunk-color27a.jpg

Had a snow day so I took a shot at the my first MOC's in this theme. I liked the back story as well.

First up is the Empires elite fighter. Mainly red and black to stand out from the rest of the fleet. Small and fast this fighter is one that protects the empress's personally. The pilots dedication to duty is so great that if too damaged to make it back to home base they crash into any viable rebel target with its nose designed to do great damage. Binaculars on the windshild for long range viewing, 2 wing guns and side mounted machine gun for added fire power.

On the rebel side a mobile battle platform/transport was created. Used to move supplies, men or ammo this flyer is ready for action. Twin guns on the nose for the pilot to defend himself. Machine guns on each side to repel enemy fighters. Powered by 4 props underneath and one large prop in the rear. With multipule uses (transport men to the front, wounded to the rear, much needed supplies to rebel positions) I see this as a real work horse for th rebels.

Like I said before these two are my first so comments welcome.