Sign in to follow this  
Algernon

The Steam Empire

That one's my fave. As to the Sky Fortress, check out the game Dirk Valentine for inspiration, it has some nice designs IMO.

That's what I was about to say! That game rocks. :sweet:

As to the Sky Fortress, check out the game Dirk Valentine for inspiration, it has some nice designs IMO.

Thanks for the tip. I played up to level 5 or so and haven't seen anything of interest yet though. Besides, I was more looking for ideas for what kind of rooms and play features you think it should include. I was thinking it could have a ramp for little attack flyers to take off of at the front of the fortress, a big steam engine in the middle, and a tower in the back with a small throne room at the top and maybe some kind of armory/treasure room below. Also, at the front, it could have some small turrets with rapid-fire flick-fire missiles like the ones on the Viking and troll warships.

The color scheme of the Steam Empire is black with a little bit of grey and brown, right?

And I don't have this piece, so would it be OK if I use this one instead? It's the only other printed red flag I have. Or should I just use an unprinted red flag?

I like 5.0 best as well, but I think that in a set it might have too big of a footprint - any throne room in a reasonably-sized fortress set would be half-taken up by her legs. Perhaps a similar idea, but less out and more up, a bit like my Steam Reaper fig below (I know, shameless self-promotion)

Yeah, I was thinking about that too, but at the same time, I wanted her to have that spider look. I don't want her to look too much like Spyclops either, so I think I'll stick with my design.

It sounds like the steam castle is going to be epic. Since its flying, maybe a few propellers could be added for extra effect.

It sure is. :grin: And yes, I was also thinking of adding some extra vertical propellers to help this behemoth stay in the air. :wink:

I am now thinking about the design of some royal guards. Maybe the new SP3 helmets with goggles, Agents armor, and some kind of spears. What do you think?

Also, still waiting for those answers to the questions above...

Algernon's only description of the queen's faction was "black and gray, more twisted and mechanical" or some such similar, so do whatever your artisitic license feels like doing. I suppose you could use that flag, although I'm not sure how many of us have it. I know that I have the orient expedition flag... :sceptic: . Plus, the first flag has a torso associated with it. But if you can't get it, do what you think makes it look best.

As for the imperial guards, I designed one a while back (that I forgot to post pictures of :sadnew: ) that used the symboled torso, black legs, a red cape, a plain black head, and the black helmet thing with the tail thingy and the clip on top, the name of which escapes me. It looked pretty good, almost like a steampunked version of the red guards from Star Wars, but that's not exactly what you're going for. Your suggestion sounds fine. I would use black lances as weapons.

Thanks for replying, Tereglith. It's not too often that one gets any response around here. :sadnew:

I suppose you could use that flag, although I'm not sure how many of us have it. I know that I have the orient expedition flag... :sceptic: . Plus, the first flag has a torso associated with it. But if you can't get it, do what you think makes it look best.

By all means, use that flag! It's awesome and very steampunky. Mine would just be a stand-in for that one since I don't have it. I really shoulda gotten some Orient Expedition. :hmpf_bad:

As for the imperial guards, I designed one a while back (that I forgot to post pictures of :sadnew: ) that used the symboled torso, black legs, a red cape, a plain black head, and the black helmet thing with the tail thingy and the clip on top, the name of which escapes me. It looked pretty good, almost like a steampunked version of the red guards from Star Wars, but that's not exactly what you're going for. Your suggestion sounds fine. I would use black lances as weapons.

You mean the samurai helmet? That sounds pretty good, except for the plain black head which is a bit strange. If you have Bane, you should use his head. It would suit this perfectly IMO.

As for me, yes, I'm going for more of a heavily armored look, like the Krimson Guards in the Jak & Daxter games. I'll play around a little and let you guys know when I come up with something good.

Until then, I still accept suggestions for the fortress. :wink:

Maybe this pic will help design wise? :classic:

moving_castle.jpg

As for play features maybethe throne room could come off as an escape pod like the flying vehicle in robo attack? :cry_happy: I think a whole bunch of the new firing cannons from pirates would help. I'll be sure to post when I get some more ideas. :classic:

Actually, the helmet I used was this one. I have no idea where I got it from... must've been KK1. Hey, it was good for something after all! Who knew?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Cannons would look good, like Computerbug suggested, although not with the bright red stands that they've been coming in. If you have any of the tubes from the air-powered LOM or MM sets, painting them black and attaching them to modded weapons and things would look very steampunky and have great play-feature value.

Cannons? Do you really think the empire is that low-tech? :sceptic: Well, if you all think it's a good idea, I'll use 'em.

As for the tubes, I don't have those, and I think they're way too big anyway, but I'll gladly use some other kinds of tubes.

That escape flyer feature is a good idea, CB! :thumbup:

If you hate the cannons so much I guess I'll try to think of an alternative. It's just me and terreglith were thinking of steam-punk in a non futuristic way. :sceptic: I'm glad you like my idea though. :classic:

Edited by computerbug

I never said I hate the cannons, I just thought they would be a bit below the standard of the Steam Empire since I had the impression that they are a more advanced type of steampunk because Algernon said that they are very machinery-like whereas the Rebels are more traditional steampunk, plus there is this bit in the first post:

Many suspect that she gained access to technology thought to be lost in the apocalypse, but nobody could prove this.

But I actually like the idea of cannons. It's simpler than anything I have thought of, so I think I'll just use them. :classic:

What do you think I should use for the walls of the fortress? I want it to be some kind of easy, <insert that tiresome argument> solution like the kind TLC uses so often. So how about this piece or this piece?

The second piece looks sweet, especially in that color. I'd use it if I were you and I could get it in quantity.

With the right holder you can make cannons look pretty cool and high-tech. If you have enough flexible tubes you could make them look pnuematic, drawing power from the steam engine that powers the fortress.

The second piece looks sweet, especially in that color. I'd use it if I were you and I could get it in quantity.

You can get them in dark bley on PAB, although it's a bit pricey. :wink: I'm just concerned that if I use those, the walls will look too bare. :sceptic: Any suggestions?

With the right holder you can make cannons look pretty cool and high-tech. If you have enough flexible tubes you could make them look pnuematic, drawing power from the steam engine that powers the fortress.

Good ideas. How about I use Exo Force robot feet as holders? They look pretty hi-tech and I've been looking for a use those.

And don't worry, I have lots 'o tubes. :grin:

Any chance you have this piece?

I wish! :cry_sad:

I'm just concerned that if I use those, the walls will look too bare. :sceptic: Any suggestions?

Good ideas. How about I use Exo Force robot feet as holders? They look pretty hi-tech and I've been looking for a use those.

If you hang an 8-rung ladder over the side in the middle there's lots of things that you can connect to it to make it look real greebly, real fast. It won't be the sturdiest in the world, but it'll look cool.

Exo-force feet sounds awesome. I've been using the arms a lot lately myself.

What kind of greebly bits should there be on the wall? The barbed wire from Agents?

And what do you think I should use as the wheel of the big steam engine? Do you think the wheel from the Dwarves mine would work? I wish there was something bigger I could use, but I don't have anything else steampunky in the right color.

Barbed wire, extra guns, additional jets, steering propellers - it's not so much the specifics as the overall effect.

If you have two of the large flecked castle wheels, you could put them together end to end to get a thicker wheel. I got four of them in this set, as well as a large number of useful dark brown and dark red pieces. If you only have one of the big wheels, I would suggest getting it, it's still available and has helped me immeasurably in creating steampunk MOCs. The parts alone are worth the 30.00, without even considering the castle minifigures..

I got four of them through the Troll Battle Wagon, but by "bigger" I meant a larger radius, not the width of the wheel. In fact, I feel that one of those wheels is already a bit too think to be the wheel of a steam engine. I wish I had this wheel or this wheel in darker colors, but I only have the first one in white. :sceptic: I don't wanna make a brick-built one either because I want/need to keep the piece count down.

Oh, I get your point now. Perhaps you could find some way to use treads, as LEGO has no qualms about exceeding the price per piece ratio when they're involved.

You mean make a wheel out of treads like the wheels of the Hailfire droid? I suppose a wheel like that could work, but I would still prefer a one-piece solution. I'll see what works best for me.

I want to use the propellers of the Atlantis Typhoon Turbo Sub on this MOC, but I can't decide whether to use them on the fortress or on the Rebel attack flyer that comes with it. If I don't use them on the fortress, I'll use the propellers of the Storm Lasher which are bigger and more gritty-looking. What do you think?

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

You mean make a wheel out of treads like the wheels of the Hailfire droid? I suppose a wheel like that could work, but I would still prefer a one-piece solution. I'll see what works best for me.

I want to use the propellers of the Atlantis Typhoon Turbo Sub on this MOC, but I can't decide whether to use them on the fortress or on the Rebel attack flyer that comes with it. If I don't use them on the fortress, I'll use the propellers of the Storm Lasher which are bigger and more gritty-looking. What do you think?

Definitely use the wings from storm lasher in the fortress! :sweet: But I'd change the plate color on them if I were you. :grin:

You want me to use the entire thing? I was just going to use the propellers as means of acceleration at the back of the fortress. Besides, those wings don't look very steampunky to me.

Come to think of it, does the fortress even need acceleration? It could just float in the air I suppose, but I think it would be cool if it would be able to move around. In fact, I thought it could be a neat playability feature if it had hidden wheels and a mechanism that would allow the rear propellers to turn when you roll it around.

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

You want me to use the entire thing? I was just going to use the propellers as means of acceleration at the back of the fortress. Besides, those wings don't look very steampunky to me.

Come to think of it, does the fortress even need acceleration? It could just float in the air I suppose, but I think it would be cool if it would be able to move around. In fact, I thought it could be a neat playability feature if it had hidden wheels and a mechanism that would allow the rear propellers to turn when you roll it around.

Oh...

KenStar-1.jpg

I guess just the propellers would work. :classic: But the front needs to have some really cool looking detail thingamajig like the face on that floating fortress I posted before unless you don't like the idea.

Anyway could you make a map on paint or something of the layout of this thing so we have a better idea of what we need ideas for? :classic: If not I could make one if it would help.

Lol. Where did that pic come from? :tongue:

Anyway, sure, here you go:

sky_fortress_sketch.jpg

Not so sure about the front yet. Right now it's a ramp for little attack flyers to take off of. The thing in the middle is the steam engine and the thing on top of the tower is the throne.

Thoughts? Questions? Ideas?

Lol. Where did that pic come from? :tongue:

Anyway, sure, here you go:

sky_fortress_sketch.jpg

Not so sure about the front yet. Right now it's a ramp for little attack flyers to take off of. The thing in the middle is the steam engine and the thing on top of the tower is the throne.

Thoughts? Questions? Ideas?

First of all the pic is from this. I'd just skip the intro though. :tongue:

And that mapout is awesome! Completely different from what I was thinking entirely. :cry_happy: But I expected more weapons. :sceptic: Well I guess this is just a quick thumbnail sketch so it'll turn out quite different I'm pretty sure. :classic: But May I recommend sails? :grin: Anyway I'm pretty excited to see how this turns out I'm sure it'll be great. :sweet: