How do you rate this set?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale 1 to 5

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

"Weigh the anchor, hoist the sails - Cruisin' for booty on watery trails - No exploiter we see can still sail on - Our cannons fire till his ship goes down" (Running wild - Under Jolly Roger)

OK, but today's scene is "Unburying the treasure"

Set data

1411: Pirates treasure hunt / Filming of a Pirate scene

Year: 2001

Theme: Studios

Subtheme: N/A

Pieces: 29 (including 2 extra pieces: one skeleton arm and one 1x1 round plate)

Price: N/A

Building time: less than 5 minutes

MISB on review: Yes

More info: Brickset - Peeron

Notes: - Brickset and Peeron list different names. - Set was available as Promo with Quaker Oats cereal in the U.S. - Polybag.

Bag front: the set in all of its glory

1411-01.jpg

Bag back: some English, French and Spanish infos and warnings.

1411-02.jpg

Bag content: Obviously, no bags inside the bag!

1411-03.jpg

Promo poster: Front site with Studios, back side with Alpha team, Life on Mars and some miscellaneous. Please click on thumbnails for larger pics.

1411-04m.jpg 1411-05m.jpg

Random instructions page: Sorry, no instructions for this set! That also happened with my Samurai swordsman.

Movie characters: Ye ol' Captain Red Beard and Ye ol' Skeleton. Accessories include a chest, 4 golden coins, a shovel, a pickaxe and a goblet (and an extra leg). "They dug, they unburied the treasure and now they're going away"

1411-11.jpg

1411-12.jpg

Studio Crew: very detailed torsos for both our men. Mr Spielberg starring as Mike Holder :pir-blush:

1411-13.jpg

1411-15.jpg

Studio Crew: so, what do you guys do for a living? I see...

1411-14.jpg

Lights... Camera... Action! our four heroes at work.

1411-16.jpg

1411-17.jpg

Review:

My dark years started in the latter half of the eighties (and came to end in 2007), so the original Pirates theme was one of the many I missed. This small set, even if it actually falls in the Studio category, was a good chance to put my hands on a Captain Red Beard minifig. The skeleton is the old type (body and arms were used until 2007, when the new type also was available, and then came back last year).

Treasure consists of 4 golden coins, and that's fine for something you should be given for free. Ol' captain has what he needs to dig, yet I wonder how can a single-handed man use a pickaxe or a shovel. So I supposed Pirates can raise the dead and have a skeleton do the job. Or maybe a poor guy worked so hard for its captain to consume himself to his bones.

The camera is large and "heavy", so it needs the handler to be posed as he was shooting a "fade away jump shot". The captain has a plain black hat, while Pirate theme captains have a skull on it. Cameraman is one of eleven twins, so is Director.

I bought the PTH for 8 Euros, including S/H from the USA; 8 Euros is the price for the new City minifigs pack. Citizens may have more accessories, but I'm happy I chose to buy this old Promo and wait for a cheaper chance to get the new pack.

Rating:

Color scheme: 5/5. Actually, not much to scheme. But I liked the two Studios men had matching caps and legs. Look at the 7634 Tractor: that blue cap is totally wrong.

Minifigs and accessories: 5/5. I really liked the Studios torsos, with so much detailing on the front and printed back too. And the four figs have their hands full. The only minus could be that (unlike some other Studios set like the Temple of Gloom) the camera has no "Tile with tape reels". And still I wonder: what does it take for a Pirate to become a captain? Nearly got killed but survive with some wood and iron here and there?

Pieces: 5/5. See above. Nothing in here is particularly rare; those two two-way printed torsos were to be found in some 10+ other sets.

Playability: 5/5. Kids should have fun with these characters; plus, the set can be split into Pirate & Skeleton (to use with more Pirates) and the movie crew (those guys can make movies with every other minifig, vehicle, and so on).

Design: 4/5. Every minifig is busy, but Director and Cameraman will eventually fall because of the weight of their accessories. A couple of 2x2 plates would have helped.

Overall rating: 4/5. I can't rate it 5 because it was a Promo and therefore not available to all the world. But thanks to the big net there's still a chance for the rest of the planet!

The final words: You might want to discover this small treasure. But watch out for thieving sellers!

Thank you very much for that great review, The Cobra! :thumbup:

I voted for Average since it's a very nice little set. Positive is that it comes with four minifigs. Negative is the absence of a little scenery.

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for the review. :thumbup:

Was that a free promotional set?

If it was, that's a really good deal. 4 minifigs in a 29 piece set...too bad they don't do that anymore. :hmpf_bad:

Thanks for that neat review, The Cobra. :classic:

A sweet little set with nifty MFs indeed.

Maybe it´s a little strange that there´s no cutlass or flintlock pistol coming along with that set to equip the captain properly...

Where´s the property master if you need him? :tongue:

Nice review! :thumbup:

I really like those "Studios" sets, I think they're very interesting and cheap, I suppose (as most of them are little ones :tongue: ). Unfortunately when they were sol I was in my dark ages and now they've become very rare... :sadnew: