Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

4 pirates go down on a big white Dick

lit01.jpg

"...from Hell's heart I stab at thee;

for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Moby Dick, chapter CXXXV

Herman Melville

Ok, so they're technically not suppose to be pirates even thought they are pirate mini-figures. I don't know who made this either... Yet.

I've seen this before, I like that. I loved Moby Dick, both the book and the film starring Patrick Stewart. I'd like to see a complete whale, but it would be hard to use in scenes like this one - you now, Lego ships also aren't complete, you don't see their bottom parts, which are supposed to be submerged. A good idea would be building a whale with easily detachable stomach part :) - then the whole animal can be used for underwater scenes, and only the top part can be used for scenes on the surface...

You'll have to get to work on your whale right away Mr Dreamweb!

I remember my mother read me the tale of Moby Dick when I was just a wee laddie. Of course I've fogotten most of it now...

What do you recommend for the water Mr Bloody Jay? Some different sahdes of blue? Adding some white or transparent bricks to great a foam effect?

I find that trans blue bricks do better for a water effect. Perhaps that with some clear plates for the choppiness.

Do yer got any pictures (or can you take some) of water you've made in the past, Miss Darkie?

I like pictures! They're worth 1000 words apparently... Not that I have a digital camera or my own or anything.

I like the water. It has a dynamic feeling. Some transparent bricks would make it look a bit better, however I generally think that if you make shallow water (a small stream, a puddle) you should use transparent bricks only (blue or clear), and when you make deep water like the open sea, normal blue bricks are better.

Does anyone think more slopes would have also helped, the square bricks make it look too blocky. I suppose the same can be said about old Moby too.

I generally think that if you make shallow water (a small stream, a puddle) you should use transparent bricks only (blue or clear), and when you make deep water like the open sea, normal blue bricks are better.

Yah.

JUST blue bricks would look okay as still, non-moving surfaces of water, but if there was like waves and stuff, it'd probably be cool to have solid blue down, followed by clear and trans blue on top at different heights.

Its working on my end. What are you guys seeing? A "user posted picture" message or something? When that happens to me I refresh the webpage and it usually resolves the problem.

Was this pic from Bruce n h's site? If so, ozbricks crashed or something, and his site was using that server. So that's probably what happened.

Edit: was it this? http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=281694

Ok, I'm using the link to the image Sir Dillion has provided. Its showing up on my computer, what about everyone elses?

Was it this one?

No its not, but this is a good find. Well done Mr Khorne!

I like the design of this whale better since it uses slopes and makes it look streamlined.

i see it now...

now I also see why people have questions about the blue parts...

personnaly, i've always thought that building the ocean with lego must be one of the most difficult things to do. Sure, you can use trans blue parts. i'm not sure how that would look for an entire plate of ... 40 x 20 or so?

in any case, i would try to get some direction in the waves. a whale for instance, displaces lots of water, the level of water should be a bit higher around the whale,... i would have added more relief to it... stuff like that...

i guess another problem is that the ocean never really has a uniform blue colour, but all sorts of shades of blue, green, black,...

but anyway, a very nice diorama, indeed!

well i think it is very good, but i don't think the idea works very well on a 8 x 8 vignette. i mean, the action (the whale going down, the water splashing up...) may look even better if we saw just a little bit more of the sea calming down...

but i don't think you can do much more if you're working on a minifig scaled vignette. you don't have room to use more bricks and you don't have a painter's palette, so...

but it's nicely done! any person with some knoledge on Moby Dick would recognice it... and it's a key moment of the story, isn't it?I guess this moment refers to the message behind the book: blind ambition, obsession leads to your own downfall...

what do you think?