Carbohydrates

MOC: Modular House - Cafe

indexed.gif B-OM-6E

Hello! I've been working on this one for a while. I don't know how much time I have invested in it, but it's... many hours. Anyway, I think it's finally in a presentable state so here we are! I have a lot to say about this one, so instead of writing a ridiculously long thread, I'll direct you to some MOCPages!

cafe001.png

The Non-Corner Cafe

Construction of the Cafe

Brickshelf, once moderated

The MOCPage has explanations, but the Brickshelf doesn't horribly distort my images with JPG compression. Your choice!

Very nice. I especially love the fire escape. I really look up to people that can achive a high level of detail on digital MOCs. I think this would look very nice in real pieces. Very well done. :thumbup:

That's truly beautiful! :thumbup: I usually do not like CAD designs, but you made an awesome building! I love the fire escape, but how did you make the window frames? They are the coolest thing on the building.

That's truly beautiful! :thumbup: I usually do not like CAD designs, but you made an awesome building! I love the fire escape, but how did you make the window frames? They are the coolest thing on the building.

Thank you! There's a detailed breakdown of the window construction at the bottom of this page. They were actually the very first thing I designed for this building!

Thanks for that link! Though I don't know if I could do it in a decent(basically black or gray) color. I simply don't have the parts for it! I could've never thought to make that. :classic:

Edited by Brickaholic

That is a very cool building. I'm impressed by the windows on it, but I honestly think that my favourite detail would be the handrails for the stairs up to the roof. The building needs more colour, however.

Wow, I might try and build those windows! If I can get my head around it... (I'm usually hopeless at building SNOT!)

I do agree that it could use a little more colour though...

M.

Just commented on MOCpages... Love it mate, that's a really well executed project!

I'd be happy to take some specific suggestions regarding the colors. I've tried playing around with it a bit, adding more green in place of some of the dark gray and such, but I'm finding it hard to implement without losing that "old apartment building" look.

It's really a nice creation, specially because of the windows and all the architectural details :thumbup: The color scheme is a bit too "tetric" for me but the "Cafe" ad is very well done. Bravo! :thumbup:

Very good construction, but I'm also among those who believe that you should change the colour scheme. For me it is too dark. The colour scheme alone reminds me of a castle.

Very nice work, Tom - especially the close-ups and your comments are much appreciated :thumbup:

I'd be happy to take some specific suggestions regarding the colors. I've tried playing around with it a bit, adding more green in place of some of the dark gray and such, but I'm finding it hard to implement without losing that "old apartment building" look.

Well, old buildings usually have soft or "burnt" primary colors, and with such a dominating sign a contrasting color would suit it nicely, I think. On the top of my head I would suggest dark orange, while keeping the dark grey intact, but other darker would probably also work. Also, use two or three different color tones to break up the monotonity of the colors, if any. This can be achieved by either having one of the floors in one color with the others in another, or a simple decorative line streaking horizontally, but not disharmonously, across the facade.

If still in doubt, study others' buildings and see how they have used colors to a great effect.

Words cannot begin to express the awesome!

I really love the look of this building, and you've used some great innovative building techniques to achieve that look.

Excellent job on every part of it!

Amazing job! I have a special place in my heart for 16 wide CC stuff. I agree that it might be nice to see it in color, but in greys it makes it really easy to see the way the various parts work together. Your MOC page is almost a How-To on building detailing. If you do recolor it, keep the grey images as well. I like the little details you captured like the security door, and the railings on the roof stairs I'll definitley be revisiting your building for inspiration.

too bad these techniques arent supported by ldd or else alot of people would buy this (including me if i had money) :thumbup:

my modular buildings are nothing compared to this

Edited by prateek