Zorro

The Captain's Cabin Contest - Information & FAQ

3315522007_528dfd9737.jpg

The Captain's Cabin Contest!

Between plundering and pillaging, pirates have to lay their lice-infested heads somewhere! From the lowliest rat-infested bilges that serve as crew's quarters to the luxury of the captain's cabin, there's building scope a-plenty!

Your task is to show this - what goes on there, what it's like - the works!

It doesn't have to be for the captain - crew's quarters, the ship's kitchen, the brig e.t.c. are very welcome.

It can be from any seafaring faction, be they Pirates (Caribbean, Mediterranean, Chinese e.t.c.), Imperials, Merchants, Islanders, even! Fish-pirates, skeleton-pirates, troll-pirates and the like are all acceptable. Borderline steampunk is also allowed, but try to maintain the seafaring aspect.

It doesn't have to be based on a ship. It could be on a wrecked ship, something similar to the Captain's Quarters in the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney, or something from your imagination! Please avoid building it as part of a full ship, as this will exceed the permitted dimensions and may skew votes away from the subject matter.

Inspiration? 1 2 3 4

The Rules:

• The contest will run from March 1st to March 31st,
  • One entry per person, although it can be modified up until the deadline. Staff can join this contest but are not elegible for the prizes. They can win trophy tags, though :grin: .
  • Entries must be no larger than 24x24 studs square, although it does not have to be on a square template. A reasonable amount of overlap is allowed, but no expansion of the base by stacking plates or bricks (like this)
  • You must include some form of relation to the theme (see above)
  • Only unmodified, authentic LEGO brand parts are allowed, with three exceptions.
    • You may use custom decals. We suggest visiting The Great Pirate Torso Library.
    • You may use non-LEGO string or may cut official LEGO string, pneumatic tubing and flex-tubing as needed.
    • You may use custom sails (paper or cloth). This includes flags. You may not use clone brand parts of any kind, so sails and flags must either be official, or made by you. Feel free to make use of the Sail Library Resource.

[*]Digital entries will NOT be allowed.

[*]There is no mini-figure limit.

[*]SNOT bases are allowed up to the approximate size specified for a normal baseplate.

[*]The staff's judgment is final. Violations may be mentioned in the discussion thread, or not. At the end of the contest, violations will be disqualified OR subject to a penalty as determined by the staff. Please avoid this by clarifying any rules which you don't understand in this thread. You may be required to provide additional photos.

[*]All entries must be new creations that have never been displayed anywhere before.

[*]Post 3 pictures (maximum size 800x600) maximum. You can link to an external gallery, where there are no image limitations. See these tutorials for help with resizing images and deeplinking.

[*]Important: Each entry will be posted in its own thread, like you would with a normal MOC. All entry threads are to be created in the LEGO Pirates MOCs Forum. The thread title should be the title of the ENTRY. The description of the entry thread should be "Captain's Cabin Contest".

[*]Judging will take place by a public vote. Each person can pick their favourite 3 entries, in order. This will happen by posting, not by opening up a poll.

Creative Critic

Once again, Classic-Pirates is running this challenge to promote good, constructive feedback and discussion about entries.

• What do I do?
  • First, you need to express an interest in participating, by posting in this thread. You don't have to build anything: just the time and effort required.
  • Then, evaluate what you like and dislike about an entry and relay the information objectively to the builder. The important point is to express honest opinions in a helpful manner, whether good or bad. If you can do that creatively at the same time, you just might have what it takes to win some fabulous prizes.
  • The best Creative Critics will provide ongoing feedback, so it's not necessarily a "critique once and then wait until contest's end to receive your result". Find ways to continually provide feedback and you'll have a definite advantage.
  • A high post count alone will not assist you in winning the Creative Critic award and excessive, short, or unhelpful posts may result in disqualification. If your idea of a good comment is: "That MOC looks awesome", you may find yourself in a spot of bother. You probably won't get a warning either. Quality first, then quantity.
    How will it be judged?
    The staff will assess the Creative Critic Award on the following criteria:
  • The usefulness of the information provided.
  • The professionalism in which the information is conveyed.
  • Correct spelling, grammar and punctuation (we will be lenient if English is your second language)
  • The volume of quality creative criticism you provide.

Prizes

1st Place: 6268 Renegade Runner

2nd Place: 6256 Islander Catamaran

3rd Place: 6245 Harbour Sentry

Creative Critic: 6256 Islander Catamaran

These prizes are used, but complete.

A pirate contest! Yay, what a suprise....... :tongue: I really want the Renegade Runner and the Islander Catamaran......... :wub: I'll enter Creative Critic and the actual contest as well. This is lots of fun, especially the fact that we can enter, us Shipyard members!

Edited by Lego12

Oh yes, another lovely C-P contest!

This looks great and I'll be sure to pull something together. There have been so many contests lately, I've only made MOCs for contests and not the many ideas I have in my head. :tongue:

I'll have to get my finger warmers out again for the Creative Critic I guess. Better start stretching.:pir-grin: Let's get this show on the road!

Yay! I've always wanted to build something like this! I'm happy this contest is here. It's great!

Now the only thing left is to clean my room and get building! :pir_laugh2:

You took me off guard with this one! :grin: I'd love to take another shot at Creative Critic. :pir-classic:

Sounds like a good time to me. And that link to my PotC Captain's Quarters really brings back memories! :pir-wink: (I'm not so sure they're good ones! :pir-tongue: )

Ah, yet another great Lego Pirate contest for me to enter. I am getting very excited for building my MOC for this contest and also leaving creative comments on other people's MOC's. I wish the best of luck to everyone!

LegoKing

I guess I'll have a go at Creative Critic. It will be my first time doing it, but... That's how you learn.

Arrrg me harties, keep on registering, at least some more should compete with these wonderful prizes! :pir-classic:

Yesssss! :pir-sweet:

I was expecting a Pirate contest because I saw it mentioned the other day, but this was better than I expected. I never got around to doing my Pillage the Village entry, but I shall be able to do this one within the time limit! I love building rooms/interiors so I should get on fine with this. I'm already bursting with ideas. Thanks for the contest! :pir-blush:

:skull:

Can't wait to start building for this great new contest on CP !

I have to say the your creative critic award is a very good idea, it really help to improve MOC.

I'll enter the Creative Critic contest.

I would like to make sure that:

- the entries will be posted in this topic, right? Or, are they going to be posted elsewhere?

- we can comment/critic as many entries as desired.

Thanks

Edited by csiquet

I'll enter the Creative Critic contest.

I would like to make sure that:

- the entries will be postic in this topic, right? Or, are they going to be posted elsewhere?

- we can comment/critic as many entries as desired.

Thanks

When the entry topic is made, that will be the 1st of March, we will be able to put it down there with a few pictures. And then you have to choice to open up a topic of your own for your MOC. And I think you can write your comments on all the entries you want. ;)

If I didn't make it clear earlier, I want to enter Creative Critic. :wink: I really want that Islander Catarmaren! :wub: Thanks for this contest, I never saw it coming! :grin:

Hi this is my first post ever.

I would like to join the Creative Critic and the building contest.

Thanks.

P.S. the links in the rules for the prizes aren't working.

Hi this is my first post ever.

I would like to join the Creative Critic and the building contest.

Thanks.

P.S. the links in the rules for the prizes aren't working.

Welcome uo EB puriri. :pir-classic: I'll PM Zorro so he can fix the links. Its great to have you here. You should post in the "Hello I'm......" forum to introduce yourself. :pir-wink:

Great timing for me personally and a great-looking contest. I will be entering and trying to critique.

Thanks.

I'm going for first place, and from the looks of things you guys are just dying to win the "creative critic" award so this leaves the field open for me :pir-laugh:

Good Luck everyone.

Mike

Nice! I'll be sure to start working on it tonight. Will get me back in the building mood. I'll keep working on it off-screen before I post it here, I'd like to post it the day before it ends(day before my birthday :pir_laugh2: ).